Sponsored by:

GT3 versus other options

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 11:50 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts
Default GT3 versus other options

Please talk me off the ledge. I am deciding what to get next and am considering a non Porsche option. Previous cars include: various mustangs, 996 C4S, 997.1 3RS (should have kept!!), 991 GT3 and currently GT4.

I don't track much anymore. Maybe 3-6 days per year and use the GT350 for that as well as GT4. Next car not a track focused one. Budget is 150-200.

Want a car I can enjoy on backroads and take occasional road trips of several thousand miles round trip (mainly Smokies trips). Have driven 997.1 RS cross country and while not ideal doable. 991 GT3 was great for this but found PDK not inspiring for occasional daily duties. Also want something fun to drive a few times a week around town.

Option 1. 991.2 GT3. Am on list where I got GT4. Manual is the one thing I wanted on the .1. Sort of feel like I've been there done that. Still very appealing though.

Option 2. McLaren 570S. Have that exotic itch. Never driven one. Those that have is this something I should even be considering. Draw backs in my mind are depreciation/maintenance costs/reliablility and dealer is 3 hours away Plus: well it is a Mclaren and an exotic car. Not that that is either good or bad. Never considered a Mclaren before this.

Option 3. 997.2 RS. Still have this itch. Plus are well known. Drawbacks in my mind are no warranty. Also the variocam thing makes me a little nervous with no warranty. I realize there are fixes for this. Seems like a good mix between 7.1 RS and 9.1 GT3 although I haven't driven one.

I will most likely be keeping the GT4 so this will be an addition.

Any other options I am missing. Would like car to be an "occasion" car but not so temperamental that I am afraid to drive across country.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and thanks for your thoughts.

Tal
Old 11-24-2016, 12:11 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

The 570 is less inspiring than a 991 gt3. Turbo lag, trans is about equal, no substitute for N/A engine.

I think 997.2 RS and 997 RS 4.0 would be perfect. Not sure if the next gt3 is stick or even attainable. - so take advantage of winter pricing and grab a well driven 997. Just my opinion.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:38 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Please talk me off the ledge. I am deciding what to get next and am considering a non Porsche option. Previous cars include: various mustangs, 996 C4S, 997.1 3RS (should have kept!!), 991 GT3 and currently GT4.

I don't track much anymore. Maybe 3-6 days per year and use the GT350 for that as well as GT4. Next car not a track focused one. Budget is 150-200.

Want a car I can enjoy on backroads and take occasional road trips of several thousand miles round trip (mainly Smokies trips). Have driven 997.1 RS cross country and while not ideal doable. 991 GT3 was great for this but found PDK not inspiring for occasional daily duties. Also want something fun to drive a few times a week around town.

Option 1. 991.2 GT3. Am on list where I got GT4. Manual is the one thing I wanted on the .1. Sort of feel like I've been there done that. Still very appealing though.

Option 2. McLaren 570S. Have that exotic itch. Never driven one. Those that have is this something I should even be considering. Draw backs in my mind are depreciation/maintenance costs/reliablility and dealer is 3 hours away Plus: well it is a Mclaren and an exotic car. Not that that is either good or bad. Never considered a Mclaren before this.

Option 3. 997.2 RS. Still have this itch. Plus are well known. Drawbacks in my mind are no warranty. Also the variocam thing makes me a little nervous with no warranty. I realize there are fixes for this. Seems like a good mix between 7.1 RS and 9.1 GT3 although I haven't driven one.

I will most likely be keeping the GT4 so this will be an addition.

Any other options I am missing. Would like car to be an "occasion" car but not so temperamental that I am afraid to drive across country.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and thanks for your thoughts.

Tal
570 is more 991turbo feel and would suit your comfortable and weekend/smokies trips. Downside is as I understand it no MT.

Do you find the gt4 and gt350 to uncomfortable for long trips? They both seem to fit your needs?
997.2rs or 4.0l is less comfortable than both of those for long trips.
Pretty much only weekend/track/C&C with 997rs.

A 991rs is IMO the best car for everything. If you want MT just wait for 991.2gt3. It will be as quick and comfortable as the 991rs and with MT.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:38 PM
skremese
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Based on what you stated and the cars you already have for track work the 911 Turbo S sounds ideal. And then there's this: http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-...r-ever-tested/
Old 11-24-2016, 12:48 PM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I would go for manual C2S with buckets. Epic car.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

get an RS
if not then 570S is great for weekend
Old 11-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Boss 302 Laguna Seca. Now inexpensive but a hoot! You can buy high mileage exaamples (10,000+ miles) in the mid $30K's and not be upset about racking up the mileage. Comfortable, cool old school and three peddle with a V8 rumble and get on the track. Inesxpensive to fix, run and track and comfortable on long trips. Won't have to worry about racking up mileage and you keep a boat load of cash in the bank.

GT350 Track Pack. All of the above with a for now higher price tag you can buy used on the mid to high $50K range.

New Z28's still sitting unloved and forgotten on dealer lots. You can pick them up in the mid $40K's. Killer car for a killer price. Great driver and track car.

Older ACR Viper. Great track car not sure about being a great driver though.

2015/16 Z06 Vette. Great driver and track car.

My concerns with a Mac are their penchant to lose value at precepitous rates. If you are flush with $$$ and it doesn't bother you great choice.

GT3RS 997.2. Fabulous but you are paying well into 6 figures and mileage will greatly affect resale. Same with the American choices but your fall is not as far.

MHO.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 246 Posts

Have you considered a 430 Scud? Certainly ticks the occasion box & surprisingly comfortable. I drove a friends from Newport Beach up to and around Carmel for car week a few years ago and it was an amazing experience.

Definitely on my bucket list.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:53 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

458 Fcar, my dream car.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:02 PM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 570S and it is the most compliant suspension and ride and car is a "true" daily sports car like a Turbo S.

That being said it has turbo lag from hell where the power kicks in at 5k rpm.

The steering feel is absolutely on point but I would personally hold out for 991.2 GT3 myself
Old 11-24-2016, 04:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

R8
Old 11-24-2016, 11:37 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Hey Tal,
You've had GT3s before. Try something else.
If you are keeping the GT4, I would recommend you add a McLaren or a Ferrari 458. I would try and find a used 570 or 650s or a used 458 coupe. I prefer the 458 because of the sound and drive of the car. However, the 570S is still very good looking, comfortable and fast.
Forget about a Turbo S. So boring, no character, and sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I daily drive one for 2 years and the only reason I kept it for so long was that it was Birch Green and cool looking.
Try a McLaren or Ferrari.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:40 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
R8
Also another boring car.
The AWD will be very numb. I had a Huracan for a year and it is essentially the same car. The seating position is awkward.
If you're talking a DD, I think the R8 is cool. If it's going to be a special car for drives like the Smokies, well, it's not that special. Just my opinion of course.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:57 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tal,
I'm no dermatologist, but when you have an itch you need to scratch it before the underlying etiology is diagnosed. I really think the McLaren choice would work. The prices have dropped.
The Ferrari choice might be a better long term value. Wouldn't go older than F430 though. We have local guys that work on them. The McLaren Chicago dealer is 2 hrs 15 minutes (north side).

Enjoy Turkey today with Family.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:28 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 567 Posts

I will never again own a car I can't service locally.

Lambo dealer was 325 miles away and AWFUL (MAG in Columbus OH). Ended up driving the car to Boston MA for service (or shipping it). The car was fairly bulletproof and we put about 4000 miles/year on. Tracked one season. The rest was road miles/trips/around town.

Only needed usual fluid changes except for a couple other things. But what a PITA not to have local service. Plus tougher to build service relationship with distance. I like to shake hands with people that touch my cars and I drove to MAG in Columbus to meet the people that kept screwing it up, thinking shaking hands might help (it didn't).

When the 12C was out someone local bought an early release and it was a constant problem. Nearest dealer was Philly. They sent a tech here several times, and also sent a truck to pick up the car more than once. I believe Mclarens are more reliable these days (that early 12C was riddled with problems) but again - service takes longer and is less convenient when the car must be driven a distance or transported.

MAG had their own transport. At first we thought it was great. Then we put it on the lift at our MB dealer and saw problems due to how the car was strapped into the transport. Nothing major - but little plastic trim pieces broken under the car, or little rubs here/there that shouldn't happen when done properly with care.

Any way you slice it - they are easy to buy, but LIVING with them is where you really learn about a brand, and service makes or breaks the ownership experience IMHO.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt

Quick Reply: GT3 versus other options