Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 versus other options

Old 11-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

How about a middle age car such as the 993C2S?
Very appealing to the eye, very reliable, low maintenance, tons of fun.
Draw back IMHO: not much torque/hp.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Based on what you're thinking/use: I'd go Mac.

Me, i go other way. That 355 on BAT at the moment has me drooling. I need a targa long hood. But the 993/964 (non RS/GT models) are boring to me stock. Spend another 40 on a clean 964 to get the chassis sorted and lighten it up, and you have a really really great compliment to the newer cars. I love mine. Little hot rod/slot car for the canyons, and motor is stock. PLENTY quick. But it's not an occasion car.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:42 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Also another boring car.
The AWD will be very numb. I had a Huracan for a year and it is essentially the same car. The seating position is awkward.
If you're talking a DD, I think the R8 is cool. If it's going to be a special car for drives like the Smokies, well, it's not that special. Just my opinion of course.
Just drove the R8 on track for the first time this morning. It was an Audi event, so I wasn't allowed to take the nannies off. The power was nice, but other than that, I absolutely hated everything about the car compared to the GT3. It felt heavy, with very light steering, but the worst part was the nannies intervened to an extreme degree in sport mode. I'm sure it would have been better in race mode and with better rubber, but all it did was make me realize how all round great the GT3 is (other than the spontaneous combustion).

In term of the OP's question, I'd get a used Ferrari 458 or a new Mac, as long as you wouldn't mind the attention.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:59 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

"Want a car I can enjoy on backroads and take occasional road trips of several thousand miles round trip (mainly Smokies trips)"

so for smokies you have to have a GT car correct?
that means either choice #1 or #3 or take the GT4 (which defeats the purpose of a new car).
I have a 458 and it is a great car but would probably sell it before either my GT3 or GT4....exotics are a bit of a hassle if no F car, Lambo or Mac dealer near you for service etc... also extended warranty on older Ferrari's is pricey, as are all things Ferrari related....purchase price is just part of the "owner$hip experience"

If you have a Mac dealer near you a used 650S or new 570S may be the ticket, especially if you don't plan on tracking.

AMG GT R?
Old 11-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Import a 964 RS. You will love it and it will always be worth what you paid for it. Blow it up then build it to 4.0 and go rip past the $500k singers.

I enjoy a well sorted 964/ RS over any other P Car for the occasional canyon rip. Fun at semi legal speeds no nannies, perfect power to weight.

Car is still comfortable to drive every day. Anyone can buy a F car or Mac,... And you Won't see another one, hardly ever. Which is nice.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

If keeping the GT4, scratch your itch enough, but making sure you don't bleed, with anything thats been suggested.

If replacing the the GT4, then do it with a .2 GT3 manual or pdk or get an RS (any version).

My comments are entirely based on my unashamed bias to have you continue to attend the Smokies GT events!

Old 11-25-2016, 04:30 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my 997.2RS for a almost new 650s not too long ago. I miss the RS, especially the sound. (RSS bypass) The 650s is insanely fast especially with an exhaust which is a must. I still have a 991 GTS4 as a DD car which is in some ways more enjoyable than the 650s. I have not driven the 570. I did drive the 458 and the 430scud, I prefer the scud and I should have that instead of the Mclaren, but that just me. The 650s however is way faster than the 458.
Also it is very comfortable, very much usable (mine is a spider) and the wife likes it so much more than the RS. This also was a consideration. I am planning to go beck to the GT3 to replace my GTS4 for DD role.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:18 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Option 2. McLaren 570S. Have that exotic itch. Never driven one. Those that have is this something I should even be considering. Draw backs in my mind are depreciation/maintenance costs/reliablility and dealer is 3 hours away Plus: well it is a Mclaren and an exotic car. Not that that is either good or bad. Never considered a Mclaren before this.
al
570S is certainly well reviewed and a truly great exotic. The dealership network is vey weak and I hear alot about reliability issues. May I suggest the following as well?

Lamborghini Huracan in 2WD
Ferrari 458
For a more relaxed experience, an Audi R8
Old 11-25-2016, 08:05 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Couple of alternatives

(1) 718 Cayman GTS (rumoured to be 375HP and already sighted) plus frunk and trunk - mid engine poise, will be very quick, easy to maintain - take no notice of the sound haters add PCCB and PTV

(2) 991.2 C2S - with RAS, S-PASM and PDCC - you basically have something close in performance to a GT3 on track (and in the real world quicker). You can have your manual and go to town on the interior to get it just the way you want it and add your own personal flourishes. Again take no notice of the turbo and sound haters - it does not sound like a TTS and the turbo lag is barely discernable - very well executed package.

(3) Wouldn't go near a Fezza (unless new). Would consider the 488 from new.

(4) The 570S looks like a good daily - the only issue would be dealerships and space
Old 11-26-2016, 01:42 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Most of the new rich Buyers just look to hp figures or 0 to 60

very wrong

what makes a GT3 morespecial than any C2S GTS or 570 650 etc. are the sophisticated suspensions layout combined with that chassis

the way the car talks to you is far more important
than any HP figure ( as a woman isnt it? )
Old 11-26-2016, 02:20 AM
Sarum87
Instructor

What about the Mercedes GT R AMG? Stunning car. Randy Probst called it the best handling car he has driven. Gorgeous. Fun. Lots of power. Would be my choice if I had no gt3 RS.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:36 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Good thread.
As I've been on the hunt for a new car as well. It's a disease more than an itch...I've had now switched around cars too many times and I'm not sure how to present it to my wife anymore.
Got a black Spyder with 2600 miles and a Carmine red GT4 with 1600 miles on. Tracked both. 991 GT3 on track only was more exciting. Waiting on a GT3.2 with MT when it happens. I've been thnking to exchange both for an exotic just to try it out.
I've been looking at R8, 570s and used 650s 458, even lambo because prices dipped. The lack of local dealer for mcclaren and lambo is a proble, the Ferrari dealership is just a stealership at best around here.
Reading through. I may end up just wait it out and not lose more money
Old 11-26-2016, 09:44 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

thanks for all the tips and thoughts guys. I currently have a Boss 302 and GT350 so have the american "rumble" covered.

GT350 and GT4 are both fine for road trips and will be keeping both for now. If I had to pick between mustangs would likely keep the Boss and sell the GT350. More "feel" to me in Boss even if it is "primitive" compared to other cars!! LOL

Only Porsche's I am interested in are the GT cars or possibly an older one. 964 RS is an intriguing thought.
I have a feeling they are at the top of my budget but I don't know for sure.

Not interested in R8, Mercedes, or Lambo's. Nothing wrong with any of them but would stick with GT cars before doing this.

Scud very appealing but again is stretching my budget.

458 added to the options list but maintenance and resale concerns there. Any thoughts?

McLaren still in the running but see 458 above for concerns.

Still have interest in 997.2 RS but prices are up there. If I had any sense would sell GT350 and GT4 and get one of these and the new 991.2 when it comes out.

As KY said I have had GT3 try something else which is part of the reason I asked this question. Still hard to beat price/reliablity/depreciation of Porsche GT cars though! Also appealing to order and spec as I want and possibly do European delivery.

Keep the thoughts coming folks. Really appreciate the thoughts and opinions!!
Old 11-26-2016, 09:46 AM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
Import a 964 RS. You will love it and it will always be worth what you paid for it. Blow it up then build it to 4.0 and go rip past the $500k singers.

I enjoy a well sorted 964/ RS over any other P Car for the occasional canyon rip. Fun at semi legal speeds no nannies, perfect power to weight.

Car is still comfortable to drive every day. Anyone can buy a F car or Mac,... And you Won't see another one, hardly ever. Which is nice.
What do these cars run and how hard are they to import?
Old 11-26-2016, 09:50 AM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by Fadi1
Good thread.
As I've been on the hunt for a new car as well. It's a disease more than an itch...I've had now switched around cars too many times and I'm not sure how to present it to my wife anymore.
Got a black Spyder with 2600 miles and a Carmine red GT4 with 1600 miles on. Tracked both. 991 GT3 on track only was more exciting. Waiting on a GT3.2 with MT when it happens. I've been thnking to exchange both for an exotic just to try it out.
I've been looking at R8, 570s and used 650s 458, even lambo because prices dipped. The lack of local dealer for mcclaren and lambo is a proble, the Ferrari dealership is just a stealership at best around here.
Reading through. I may end up just wait it out and not lose more money
Sounds like our situations are similar. My wife thinks I am crazy. I might agree until I get on Rennlist. LOL

I like switching but at some point I get tired of spending the tax and depreciation dollars. I want to retire some day. Experiencing different cars is fun. Maybe some day I will learn the grass is not always greener

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 versus other options