Sponsored by:

991.2 is 3.8 and RS.2???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:43 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Nah, they'll just bump up the power on the .2GT3RS or open the engine up to 4.2L. Hybrid might come with the 992 GT cars.
Agree. The start of the VW dieselgate coincided with R&D time for the RS. Porsche wasn't going to spend a lot of money then or now to research and design totally new tech for the .2 RS like a hybrid. They have billions to pay off for dieselgate.

Although Porsche needs to keep up with the 488s and 650Ss of the world, it still has the upcoming GT2RS for that, and Porsche had no problem selling every single 991.1 RS, and even had to extend RS production due to the worldwide demand.

Porsche will just do either a mild modification to get more HP out of the current engine, a moderate modification to make a 4.2L engine as the last hurrah for an NA GT3RS, or the RS will just become a GT2/GT3RS turbo with the GT2RS turbo engine that's already designed. (No more GT3RS, just GT2RS)

Any major engineering changes to the RS powerplant like a hybrid would only come with the 992 version.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:46 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 146 Posts

​​
If 3.8 how are they going to squeeze out more hp? Looks like the 3.8 has more juice looking at the DMS thread, but will they push it to the limit at the factory?
So far we've heard no .2 gt3, turbo gt3, 3.8, and 4.0 with release dates of goodwood, Paris, LA and Geneva. No question op is well connectived with good sources, but I expect nothing but crickets in the room if the GT3 is released in Geneva with anything other than a 4.0.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MEM82
​​
If 3.8 how are they going to squeeze out more hp? Looks like the 3.8 has more juice looking at the DMS thread, but will they push it to the limit at the factory?
So far we've heard no .2 gt3, turbo gt3, 3.8, and 4.0 with release dates of goodwood, Paris, LA and Geneva. No question op is well connectived with good sources, but I expect nothing but crickets in the room if the GT3 is released in Geneva with anything other than a 4.0.
Totally agree. All other sources but Rosenberg point to a 4.0L GT3. Nothing against him personally but I think he's wrong.

Agree completely that when the .2 GT3 is announced in Geneva next March, if that engine displacement is anything less than 4.0L, there will be crickets at the show and much disappointment among Porsche GT fans worldwide.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:55 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Totally agree. All other sources but Rosenberg point to a 4.0L GT3. Nothing against him personally but I think he's wrong.

Agree completely that when the .2 GT3 is announced in Geneva next March, if that engine displacement is anything less than 4.0L, there will be crickets at the show and much disappointment among Porsche GT fans worldwide.
So you are saying the GT3 4.0 is going to produce more hp followed by the GT3RS 4.0 or 4.2 will produce even more.

Thought the GT3 engine was the same or a similar version of their race engine - which equates not a lot of expense.

Find it hard to believe they are going to develop a new engine when they can take their proven hybrid tech and slap it into the GT3RS with the same engine. Admit being new to the GT3RS world but has their been a GT3RS .2 in the past with an engine upgrade?
Old 11-24-2016, 08:08 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Past history would dictate I'm not a troll. Maybe try search function.
No Rs.2 means it most likely isn't happening. If it does it will be a 300k hybrid on front axle send off for 991 as a techno preclude to 992.
There will be no hybrid front axle on the 991 series (any of them) .....more likely the GT cars will eventually get hybrid assist in 992 series and talk of hybrid being extended into many of the 992 series models is heavy and the chassis has been engineered to make the package work but even the 992 series most likely won't launch with the hybrid system. The closest you'll get to hybrid in 991 is the 991 franken-gt2 front motor prototype with many parts from 918 and it was a ugly looking Gargamel in front end according to many that had seen it but had crazy straight line performance. It was simply a research machine that required far more modification than is reasonable for a production car application but certainly at some point it was intriguing enough to put to the test.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:14 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
So you are saying the GT3 4.0 is going to produce more hp followed by the GT3RS 4.0 or 4.2 will produce even more.

Thought the GT3 engine was the same or a similar version of their race engine - which equates not a lot of expense.

Find it hard to believe they are going to develop a new engine when they can take their proven hybrid tech and slap it into the GT3RS with the same engine. Admit being new to the GT3RS world but has their been a GT3RS .2 in the past with an engine upgrade?
Agree the GT3 engine will likely just be the current RS 4.0 engine, maybe something gleaned from the RSR. But main point is that it will be something they've already developed and already fits into the GT3.

While Porsche has developed some nice hybrid tech for their race cars and the 918, they would still need to do a lot of engineering to modify it for power, durability, and make it fit into an RS. Stuff is packed in very tightly in a rear-engined car. It's not just like swapping an mustang engine into a corvette or vice versa, with all the space of a front engined car.

If you're new to Porsche, one thing you'll come to know is that Porsche is all about incremental progress with each new generation of a model, and particularly each facelift of a current model.

Could Porsche make a 600HP 911 right now? Sure, but they are planning two decades ahead and they have to be able to tell each buyer that their car is better than the one just sold 3 years ago.

If you look at the history of Porsche GT cars, there aren't dramatic changes to the engine between each model. No one really expects Porsche will do something dramatic now, when #1 they don't have to, because their GT cars all sell out easily, and #2 they don't want to spend the mone right now and #3, this leaves more space down the road for engines with more advanced tech that they can market.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-24-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:35 PM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like the GT3 guys want a 4.0 and the RS guys hope the next GT3 is still 3.8. I personally don't mind a 4.0 manual car at GT3 money, not sure I would go for a manual 3.8 DFI GT3, the 4.0 has better torque and a sharper throttle response at lower revs - would be hard to go backwards from that.

What about the reported extra cost of the crankshaft used in the 4.0? Can these things be produced at a lower cost to fit a 4.0 in the next GT3?

Also, not sure why you would want a cup car engine in a road car, they don't have any variable valve tech as they don't need low RPM torque.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I respect the OP's connections. I have zero connections but common sense tells me 4.0 unless somehow just too expensive to produce that engine in GT3 price range. Otherwise a 3.8 just goes agains all historical patterns by Porsche and they typically are a fairly predictable beast.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:16 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

991.2gt3 will be 4.0l with MT and PDK
991.2rs will be turbocharged 4.0l (typical Porsche speaking at LA motor show.)

They said they would use the same engine as RSR in gt3 and RS. True, just forgot to mention 991.2rs will have turbo added to 4.0l

Some kind of last hurray limited 991rs N/A. Think part bin like 991R but with wings and houndstooth interior.

I think FI 991.2gt3/2rs or whatever they will call it will be amazing.

Oh I forgot.

CONFIRMED! 😂😂

Last edited by 997rs4.0; 11-25-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:16 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jono809

What about the reported extra cost of the crankshaft used in the 4.0? Can these things be produced at a lower cost to fit a 4.0 in the next GT3?
is is the cup crankshaft or one created with 919 technology with some kind of special metallurgy or both are true?
Old 11-25-2016, 12:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

According to AP its made from "some kinda space metal". Interestingly its cheaper than the one for the 3.8 on PET. Its a shame they didnt spend their money on using the "space metal" for the valve train as the top end will need doing far sooner than the bottom on these engines...
Old 11-25-2016, 01:20 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah, sure, just slap the hybrid on. Easily done.

Originally Posted by sccchiii
There will be no hybrid front axle on the 991 series (any of them) .....more likely the GT cars will eventually get hybrid assist in 992 series and talk of hybrid being extended into many of the 992 series models is heavy and the chassis has been engineered to make the package work but even the 992 series most likely won't launch with the hybrid system. The closest you'll get to hybrid in 991 is the 991 franken-gt2 front motor prototype with many parts from 918 and it was a ugly looking Gargamel in front end according to many that had seen it but had crazy straight line performance. It was simply a research machine that required far more modification than is reasonable for a production car application but certainly at some point it was intriguing enough to put to the test.
I'll say it again:

The Global Head of Porsche Motorsport conveyed and subsequently confirmed to me on two occasions in the past two months: NO HYBRID for 991.2 street car due to packaging.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:31 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Yeah, sure, just slap the hybrid on. Easily done.

I'll say it again:

The Global Head of Porsche Motorsport conveyed and subsequently confirmed to me on two occasions in the past two months: NO HYBRID for 991.2 street car due to packaging.
Since you seem to be condescending - a turbo on a GT3RS would be considered a hybrid.

So if you have a third meeting ask if there will be a turbo on the GT3RS - all I am saying is all their competition is there and not enough juice left in the NA engine to get them on a level playing field.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 11-25-2016 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rosenbergendo doesn't bring info to the table often and when he does its almost always on the money...
Old 11-25-2016, 01:53 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Since you seem to be condescending - a turbo on a GT3RS would be considered a hybrid.

So if you have a third meeting ask if there will be a turbo on the GT3RS - all I am saying is all their competition is there and not enough juice left in the NA engine to get them on a level playing field.
Which level?

Until the day they sell 5000 RS like candies
*with our hope it will be Absolutely The Last NA
(and like junkies in front of their wifes, swearing It will be My Last one...) *

why they should ever bother to add hybrid ?

Looking 997 HP jump from GT3 .1 to .2
and GT3 to RS that wasn t any huge increment

and these days no one would say no to any " only 1HP more" plain .2GT3 or .2RS

looking from RnD cost (or profit) perspective

it s zero cost to plug .2CUP 4.0 and .2RSR 4.0 into .2GT3 and .2RS

Also as Walliser said ~ it will give you a good feeling watching your engine running at any kinda racing event without exploding rods..

they have to recover on GTx
perceived reliability and any new tech addition
it s simply a risk that any manager would refuse considering the plain versions will be sold like candies

Last edited by fxz; 11-25-2016 at 02:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 is 3.8 and RS.2???