Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS - Random solid brake pedal at the track

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 06:23 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

So it seems this happens with PCCB and left foot braking but not the standard steel brakes, very interesting and thanks for posting, this will now be embedded into my brain...hopefully.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:56 AM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Good to know! Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:31 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Thanks for posting the findings! That's a bummer for LFB-ers
Old 07-23-2017, 02:43 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

OP - Thanks for posting. It's threads like this that keep me from just throwing in the towel on RL.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't mean to sound insensitive, but this whole thread was about overlapping breaks and throttle at the same time while threshold breaking? Talk about "is your computer plugged into the wall, sir?"
Old 07-23-2017, 09:42 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but this whole thread was about overlapping breaks and throttle at the same time while threshold breaking? Talk about "is your computer plugged into the wall, sir?"
Not sure what you mean. It's not like OP was flooring brakes and throttle but rather having some (5-10%) residual throttle when brake application starts This type of overlap is normal and sometimes even desirable when left foot braking.

In fact, GT3 electronics does it for you when you are not LFB-ing - in some conditions, it would hold throttle slightly open for a fraction of second if throttle pedal is released abruptly to prevent loss of rear traction. It can be seen in data logs (and it's a nuisance if you are trying to get the car to rotate with a quick lift of a throttle). I was actually very surprised to see throttle and brake overlap on my data logs when I was not left foot braking, so it was not possible for me to press two pedals at the same time. Turned off stability control and it stopped happening. Anyway, my point is there is a valid reason for this slight overlap, and it's so beneficial for balancing traction that Porsche even made an electronic nanny that would do it for you.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
I don't mean to sound insensitive,"
Translation: I know I'm going to sound rude but don't care.

The OP had a legit problem. Which he thankfully solved. Based on how he was driving, and his description of the problem, it's pretty clear that overlap was not resulting in power overcoming the brakes.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:16 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Not sure what you mean. It's not like OP was flooring brakes and throttle but rather having some (5-10%) residual throttle when brake application starts This type of overlap is normal and sometimes even desirable when left foot braking.

In fact, GT3 electronics does it for you when you are not LFB-ing - in some conditions, it would hold throttle slightly open for a fraction of second if throttle pedal is released abruptly to prevent loss of rear traction. It can be seen in data logs (and it's a nuisance if you are trying to get the car to rotate with a quick lift of a throttle). I was actually very surprised to see throttle and brake overlap on my data logs when I was not left foot braking, so it was not possible for me to press two pedals at the same time. Turned off stability control and it stopped happening. Anyway, my point is there is a valid reason for this slight overlap, and it's so beneficial for balancing traction that Porsche even made an electronic nanny that would do it for you.
You are correct, the overlap should be at a very minimum and imperceptible, but not to the extent where breaking efficiency is lost as how the OP experienced in that breaking zone. If you look at his log of both right foot and left foot, the break trail off when he was right foot breaking is correct (and there was no overlap), while the trail off with left foot breaking was all over the place (there was overlap, causing the car to surge, and cause high break pressure volatility). In conclusion, the overlap has to be very precise to have optimal efficiency breaking.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:03 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

I talked about ICE MODE with a driver coach at PEC Atlanta this past weekend and he told me it happened to him a few times with RSs and never with a GT3. He said one time he almost crashed. He thinks left-foot braking might be related with the issue.

Last edited by ElectricChair; 07-24-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:12 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Brake...
Old 07-24-2017, 12:25 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Brake...
Fixed