Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The official 991.2 GT3 thread-latest pics,rumors,build specs

Old 10-30-2016, 03:19 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Chris. Thanks for the Intel. I guess it is in line with what we predicted, other than the wing delete. Maybe this is why the are testing those rear diffusers!

Dealers should start getting their 2017 allocations across all models before Xmas in UK & Europe. Sounds like a Geneva release then.

That extra torque is much needed. A power difference of 20bhp won't make much difference in the track but another 30lbft would be nice!

In terms of spec I have only advice from expire fed of myself and a few others who use our 991 GT3 on track.

1. Sound plus waste of time. Stereo is very poor all round, save your money sound plus doesn't improve it any.

2. Next model will have new pcm with CarPlay android auto - spend your sound plus savings on direct connect which is a convenience option...

3. Extended leather with dash and tops of door caps well worth the $2500 IMO - lifts the interior and puts the brushed steel accent back on the doors to follow the line from the trim on the dash to create continuity

4. If you really want to treat yourself order the steering column in leather or visors in aka alacantera. Nice way to set things off a little bit exclusive

5 if you use the car on track or a lot on road DONT order the lower sills painted. One of our group has and its pebble dashed to death alread and looks ugly. Has now been painted again twice. Even my black ones have gone all "furry" from rock rash. The front wheels flick stuff up that will pound these.

6 Led headlight is an aesthetic preference. Most of my buddies agree the standard lights(especially in black) look better. The practical lighting side seems no difference to me on early morning trips we have done in convoy to the track.

If you are going pcm only without Nav like I did then make sure you order phone prep (Bluetooth connect). The new CarPlay head unit means you can now broadcast your google maps and sci apps like Waze into the heady unit! Strictly speaking you don't need factory navi any more which will be a relief for many!!

My last piece of advice will be controversial. Unless you live in San Fran don't bother with lift! It's expensive complex adds weight and only good when you remember to use it. Front spoiler lips are $180 a shot - just learn to take a bit of care and you can pay for all your options above with what you save! Of the 5 guys I go to be track with 4 have lift and I don't. Only one of them will order lift next time because of his driveway which has a hard angle to negotiate. I've never regretted going without, I thought I would but as my car was a ROW "Clubsport spec" I decided to keep it simple and pure and I've not regretted the decision. My next one will not have lift...
Agree that a torque increase is much more needed than a HP increase. Doubtful we'll see a 30 ft lb increase as the other 4.0L NA engines in the 997 4.0, the 991 RS and 991R only gained 13 ft lbs to 338 from 325.

Even just a 13 ft lbs increase in torque would be nice. If the torque increase is also artificially held back to only 5-6 ft-lbs like the horsepower increase, then I would be much less likely to get a .2 GT3.

Sound package plus is automatic in US so no decision there for us. I hope we have a decision not to get the satellite radio wart, as those are also now automatic for the US spec 991.2 Carreras, but not for Australian/NZ. However, Bluetooth is now automatic for all 991.2 carrera models and likely GT3 in all countries, it is for the US.

Agree on full leather and the extended leather on the dash which really completes the look of the car. The dash is large and looks empty without it. Very glad I have it on my car.
I also got the seatbacks in leather which gives my car a very complete leather look between that and the extended dash in leather.

Didn't this time, but plan to get alcantara visors for next GT3. Agree those are a special touch for a GT car.

One thing to know about the front axle lift is that if lifts higher for the .2 generation. It raises the front 30mm for 991.1 and 40mm for the 991.2.

I didn't use the lift much while living in suburban Pennsylvania, but now I use it every single time I drive the car in Southern California due to extreme angles on so many gutters, streets, and houses. I wouldn't buy a GT3 without a lift in urban/suburban California.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the extra detail there. I agree in some states the lift could be more useful than others.

If we look at the new 991.2 GT3 Cup we see a massive torque bump of around 30lbft. Go still around 485. So it can be done. If they allow it to...

Last edited by Macca; 10-30-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:18 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

British racing green
Black satin wheels
(or viola purple with black interior)
deviated stitching throughout
wing
manual
lift
buckets
extended full natural brown leather interior incl. steering column, around pcm, rear seats, armrest, belts, seat backs, key pouch, etc. (black leather if viola body)
alacantra visors
porsche arm/glove box crest or logo
carbon fiber illuminated door sills
Burmeister w/ Porsche connect w/preprogramed simms (not the 3 month deal), apple CarPlay
LED Black headlights PDLS
Aero wing package if available
Model designation on doors silver
headlight cleaners green
PASM/wPDCC
carbon fiber exhaust tips (was able to get them on my spyder)
chrono
smoking package
extinguisher
considering interior wood if available
carbon fiber mats
extended fuel tank
ceramic brakes if not standard
light design
12 O'clock sw marking
Zuffenhausen delivery
Old 10-30-2016, 04:57 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wood interior on GT3??
Hope never!
Old 10-30-2016, 06:30 AM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

In my opinion Porsche's GT cars are not what they use to be and should be.
The options: interior wood,rear seats and what else...What are you guys doing with this chrono?
I remember the time when you even couldn't order "sofa seats" to GT3/RS.
Nowadays a lot of people are "thinking" that GT3/RS is just a cool car but they never ever take it to the racetrack.What's the point?
For those people I recommend to buy Turbo or even Panamera if they like Porsche.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:14 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone or know someone who has ordered a GT car with absolutely ZERO options.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by EST
In my opinion Porsche's GT cars are not what they use to be and should be.
The options: interior wood,rear seats and what else...What are you guys doing with this chrono?
I remember the time when you even couldn't order "sofa seats" to GT3/RS.
Nowadays a lot of people are "thinking" that GT3/RS is just a cool car but they never ever take it to the racetrack.What's the point?
For those people I recommend to buy Turbo or even Panamera if they like Porsche.
Not sure I follow as individuals use cars for various reasons, track, collector, hobby, or whatever their purpose may be. I enjoy some track time for sure, but do enjoy some from mountain driving with the boys which is pleasurable.

Sports cars have been collectors since time began, and there's reason you can find a 4.0 with less than a thousand miles on them. Some owners don't want to beat up a 250k car, and some are ok with that. With that said use the car for what makes you happy. Just my two cents.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

[QUOTE=Macca;13710306]Chris. Thanks for the Intel. I guess it is in line with what we predicted, other than the wing delete. Maybe this is why the are testing those rear diffusers!

Dealers should start getting their 2017 allocations across all models before Xmas in UK & Europe. Sounds like a Geneva release then.

That extra torque is much needed. A power difference of 20bhp won't make much difference in the track but another 30lbft would be nice!

In terms of spec I have only advice from expire fed of myself and a few others who use our 991 GT3 on track.

1. Sound plus waste of time. Stereo is very poor all round, save your money sound plus doesn't improve it any.

2. Next model will have new pcm with CarPlay android auto - spend your sound plus savings on direct connect which is a convenience option...

3. Extended leather with dash and tops of door caps well worth the $2500 IMO - lifts the interior and puts the brushed steel accent back on the doors to follow the line from the trim on the dash to create continuity

4. If you really want to treat yourself order the steering column in leather or visors in aka alacantera. Nice way to set things off a little bit exclusive

5 if you use the car on track or a lot on road DONT order the lower sills painted. One of our group has and its pebble dashed to death alread and looks ugly. Has now been painted again twice. Even my black ones have gone all "furry" from rock rash. The front wheels flick stuff up that will pound these.

6 Led headlight is an aesthetic preference. Most of my buddies agree the standard lights(especially in black) look better. The practical lighting side seems no difference to me on early morning trips we have done in convoy to the track.

If you are going pcm only without Nav like I did then make sure you order phone prep (Bluetooth connect). The new CarPlay head unit means you can now broadcast your google maps and sci apps like Waze into the heady unit! Strictly speaking you don't need factory navi any more which will be a relief for many!!

My last piece of advice will be controversial. Unless you live in San Fran don't bother with lift! It's expensive complex adds weight and only good when you remember to use it. Front spoiler lips are $180 a shot - just learn to take a bit of care and you can pay for all your options above with what you save! Of the 5 guys I go to be track with 4 have lift and I don't. Only one of them will order lift next time because of his driveway which has a hard angle to negotiate. I've never regretted going without, I thought I would but as my car was a ROW "Clubsport spec" I decided to keep it simple and pure and I've not regretted the decision. My next one will not have lift...[/QUOTED ]
NO lift me

Sorry Spacedust. Your 'source" cooked himself when he told you Paris for the 991.2 GT3 launch then backtracked after we found out it was not Paris and said that they changed their mind not to take focus away from panamera E-Hybrid.

As many of us have had "cleaning ladies" close to PAG at one time or another we know that they are always right until they are wrong! Once wrong they have become the 'cleaning ladies" hairdressers sister....
i'm desperate
hairdressers sister
i'll take her in too
Old 10-30-2016, 11:38 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Wow, wing delete
This has to be a wind up, on a GT3? Lol......
Old 10-30-2016, 12:08 PM
STALKER99
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

Chris. Thanks for the Intel. I guess it is in line with what we predicted, other than the wing delete. Maybe this is why the are testing those rear diffusers!

My last piece of advice will be controversial. Unless you live in San Fran don't bother with lift! It's expensive complex adds weight and only good when you remember to use it. Front spoiler lips are $180 a shot - just learn to take a bit of care and you can pay for all your options above with what you save! Of the 5 guys I go to be track with 4 have lift and I don't. Only one of them will order lift next time because of his driveway which has a hard angle to negotiate. I've never regretted going without, I thought I would but as my car was a ROW "Clubsport spec" I decided to keep it simple and pure and I've not regretted the decision. My next one will not have lift...

If you order CarPlay don't they make you also add full PCM/Nav?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:35 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll play. My .2 build.
Pts Rivera, Mexico or UV
Full leather with yellow stitching
Yellow belts and pulls if they offer pulls
Leather steering column
Carbon and carbon sills
Lwbs
Pdk still
Black wheels
Pccb
Best stereo they will offer
Led black lights
Lfit maybe. Have it now and use it from time to time
Aluminum pedals
Painted key

And the 600 HP option
Old 10-30-2016, 03:16 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you live in San Fran don't bother with lift! It's expensive complex adds weight and only good when you remember to use it. Front spoiler lips are $180 a shot - just learn to take a bit of care and you can pay for all your options above with what you save! Of the 5 guys I go to be track with 4 have lift and I don't. Only one of them will order lift next time because of his driveway which has a hard angle to negotiate. I've never regretted going without, I thought I would but as my car was a ROW "Clubsport spec" I decided to keep it simple and pure and I've not regretted the decision. My next one will not have lift...
Whenever my car goes on trailer it's a major pain comparing to cars with lift.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:07 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

If we look at the new 991.2 GT3 Cup we see a massive torque bump of around 30lbft. Go still around 485. So it can be done. If they allow it to...
30 ft-lb increase in torque would be fantastic!

I wouldn't mind if the HP stays at 475 if the torque increases by 30.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:03 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

For the .2 RS, the options i'm looking at are:

PTS
LWB
PCCB
Radio Delete

I'm going to avoid lift, stereo and tack on carbon bits unless they lighten the car. If I get a .2 GT3 too, it'll have more amenities, but RS will be pretty much be as simple as possible.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:58 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Watching these wish-list spec sheets go up makes me smile a bit, brings back memories of a few years ago.. but I also get a good amount of dread and anxiety as I can foresee some of the old very dead horses popping up like:
-to pccb or not,
-to lift or not,
-to LWB or not
Etc etc etc

my fervent hope however, is that these are put to bed this go-around to leave room for some new questions which will be very unique to the new 991.2 GT3. I say this because we've never had a GT car with such a variety of aero and transmission options to compare and contrast.. additionally, this 991.2 Gt3 is going to be unique at the top of the NA heap if we don't get a 4.2 RS above it (I think we might get one after all but I don't know)... regardless, the material is so rich that we need to leave room for all the new subject matter to be explored.

With this in mind, I humbly suggest a set of ground rules:
THE DEAD HORSE RULE: anyone who asks any of the •"dead horse" questions, gets a picture of a dead horse posted immediately after the offending question and the silent treatment for a month..

THE CLEANING LADY RULE:
ANYONE who improperly invokes the cleaning lady giving them some irritably good information better provide immediate backup of Intel quality, or they get a picture of a really ugly maid posted immediately after the offending claim and the silent treatment for a month..

THE POINTLESS THREAD STARTER RULE:
-anyone who destroys the flow of a a subject and starts a new almost identical thread BC they feel special doing so and need attention from their peers gets the word "CONFIRMED!!!!" In red immediately after the offending claim and the silent treatment for a month..

THE NEW QUESTIONS:
Now, there are lots of interesting new questions to leave space for which come to my mind including but not limited to:
1. To wing or not to wing?
-the new "wing or not" question if true, will be an interesting one. Bit of a moment of truth if that wing is worth anything in terms of real downforce as Porsche would be expected to offer different spring rates or suspension settings dependent on whether the car is optioned with a wing or not?... and different front splitter to balance out the rear?

2. Are the "wing" cars going to be faster around a track?
-If the wing removal DOESNT bring other "balancing" changes with it, then would it be safe to assume that what some of us have been wondering all along is true? Namely, that the stock wing on GT3 is little more than a glorifying appendage for most road use?

3. To manual or to PDK?
& even more interesting......

4. Does manual sap less drivetrain power like we've been hearing in the 911R vs GT3RS comparisons? IE, are the manual or PDK versions faster?

5. Will camps align into track spec vs street spec? in addition to totally new hybrid combos such as---
TRACK: wing/steel rotors/PDK/LWB
STREET: no wing/pccb/manual/sofa
POSEUR: wing/pccb/PDK or manual/LWB/PTS

6. PTS OR NO? (almost DEAD HORSE status but too complex to ever ignore)
-Having all learned from Eduardo and others on the almost holy virtues of PTS.. is ANYONE going to resist the urge to take the $7500 stick up the a$$ from Porsche to (for example) have the standard and free color from a plebeian 1.6L vw golf slathered onto their precious new "last-of-breed-gonna-leave-this-in-a-vacuumsealed-garage-for-my-great-grandkids-grandkids-to-inherit" car, or will the fact that PTS will be so common lessen its appeal?

7. Are people even gonna drive these things, or have we become so Ferrari-ish in our buying habits that again, these will broadly go straight to bubble-wrap and few will ever touch a track?

8. To condom-wrap or to go full Monty.. or partial..

AAARGH!!!.....

I could go on and on, but the sheer amount of pages of commentary I see this car producing almost hurts my mind to contemplate. I'm sure we'll be debating absurd minutiae for the next year or so.. and then doing the obligatory complimenting of everyone's steed as it arrives home just in time condom-wrapping.

I'm enjoying my spyder in meantime. Having fixed my garage issues I'm excited to pick one up if possible. My only hope lies with a generous 918 ultra-VIP buddy who may donate me his PTS-able GT3 allocation for early 2018, cause no dealer (least of all my local one from which I bought my car) deems me a worthy enough customer for one. But as nothing is guaranteed in life, I look forward to the process and the mesmerizingly detailed anorak conversations which will be occurring. If this thread doesn't reach 1000 pages I'll be disappointed.. I want Rennlist to have to upgrade their servers by the time summer 2017 hits.

To finish this absurd post (inapologize for the post-Halloween party alcohol-induced pedanticism)...

My dream spec: POSEUR MAX
-PTS signal yellow
-PCCB
-LWB
-wing
-manual
-lift.. cause if I don't in SF....
-all the leather i can add including stitched bent surrounds, column, sun visors etc.
-yellow stitch
-one huge motherflippin condom wrap
-black wheels.. or gold/bronze aftermarket.

Gonna go sleep off this Halloween hangover until my girl makes breakfast and wakes me up with a random song .. so, uhm, peace out.

https://youtu.be/gJ2_RrSNou4
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The official 991.2 GT3 thread-latest pics,rumors,build specs