Sponsored by:

The official 991.2 GT3 thread-latest pics,rumors,build specs

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 01:29 PM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Perfect spec! No leather pkg? I can't stand a 150k car with a plastic dash! Why that isn't stock I'll never know..
Because as a famous bank robber remarked after being captured when asked why he did it said "that's where the money is" !!!!
Old 10-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Sorry Spacedust. Your 'source" cooked himself when he told you Paris for the 991.2 GT3 launch then backtracked after we found out it was not Paris and said that they changed their mind not to take focus away from panamera E-Hybrid. As many of us have had "cleaning ladies" close to PAG at one time or another we know that they are always right until they are wrong! Once wrong they have become the 'cleaning ladies" hairdressers sister....
now that's funny ****e!
Old 10-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Back in February I think I was the first to report that my cleaning lady had told me the 991.2 GT3 would have a 4.0 l engine, manual, 485 HP, etc. She validated that information 2 more times since then.

Well today my dealer told me that yesterday PAG informed them that they have been allocated 4 build slots for next year starting in July and confirmed it's a 4.0l, manual, 485 hp ....and....optional wing delete! No special panels like 991R or RS so same as current GT3. He gets detailed pricing and options in the next 3-4 weeks. I have the first build slot.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:35 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wing delete--that is very surprising. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:41 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

Optional wing delete!

Now thing just getting a lot more interesting.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:00 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 146 Posts

Wing delete is interesting.
And only 10 more rated hp? Considering the increased displacement I would have expected 500hp.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

The big benefit is torque. Will be similar numbers to the 2017 Cup car.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:58 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, wing delete will be very interesting. Not for me, I like my wings.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris. Thanks for the Intel. I guess it is in line with what we predicted, other than the wing delete. Maybe this is why the are testing those rear diffusers!

Dealers should start getting their 2017 allocations across all models before Xmas in UK & Europe. Sounds like a Geneva release then.

That extra torque is much needed. A power difference of 20bhp won't make much difference in the track but another 30lbft would be nice!

In terms of spec I have only advice from expire fed of myself and a few others who use our 991 GT3 on track.

1. Sound plus waste of time. Stereo is very poor all round, save your money sound plus doesn't improve it any.

2. Next model will have new pcm with CarPlay android auto - spend your sound plus savings on direct connect which is a convenience option...

3. Extended leather with dash and tops of door caps well worth the $2500 IMO - lifts the interior and puts the brushed steel accent back on the doors to follow the line from the trim on the dash to create continuity

4. If you really want to treat yourself order the steering column in leather or visors in aka alacantera. Nice way to set things off a little bit exclusive

5 if you use the car on track or a lot on road DONT order the lower sills painted. One of our group has and its pebble dashed to death alread and looks ugly. Has now been painted again twice. Even my black ones have gone all "furry" from rock rash. The front wheels flick stuff up that will pound these.

6 Led headlight is an aesthetic preference. Most of my buddies agree the standard lights(especially in black) look better. The practical lighting side seems no difference to me on early morning trips we have done in convoy to the track.

If you are going pcm only without Nav like I did then make sure you order phone prep (Bluetooth connect). The new CarPlay head unit means you can now broadcast your google maps and sci apps like Waze into the heady unit! Strictly speaking you don't need factory navi any more which will be a relief for many!!

My last piece of advice will be controversial. Unless you live in San Fran don't bother with lift! It's expensive complex adds weight and only good when you remember to use it. Front spoiler lips are $180 a shot - just learn to take a bit of care and you can pay for all your options above with what you save! Of the 5 guys I go to be track with 4 have lift and I don't. Only one of them will order lift next time because of his driveway which has a hard angle to negotiate. I've never regretted going without, I thought I would but as my car was a ROW "Clubsport spec" I decided to keep it simple and pure and I've not regretted the decision. My next one will not have lift...
Old 10-29-2016, 07:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Good advice Macca!
Old 10-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

I am going to keep my 991.2 GT3 pretty much the same spec as my 991.1 GT3....except I will add lift.

I am now on my 3rd splitter due to the speed humps and cobblestone streets in Europe where I live. But I will drop the Bose option. Car is too noisy to use it anyway. And I will keep the wing.

So my spec will be-
- whit
- front axle lift
- PDK
- leather with red stitching
- red belts
- red dials
- Apple car play
- black lights
- sport chrono
- bigger gas tank
- carbon interior
- heated seats
- cruise (yes, I use it on long trips)
- rain sensor
- PCM
- sound plus
- telephone module
- smaller steering wheel
- and sofas!
Old 10-29-2016, 08:06 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Chris. Thanks for the Intel. I guess it is in line with what we predicted, other than the wing delete. Maybe this is why the are testing those rear diffusers!

Dealers should start getting their 2017 allocations across all models before Xmas in UK & Europe. Sounds like a Geneva release then.

That extra torque is much needed. A power difference of 20bhp won't make much difference in the track but another 30lbft would be nice!

In terms of spec I have only advice from expire fed of myself and a few others who use our 991 GT3 on track.

1. Sound plus waste of time. Stereo is very poor all round, save your money sound plus doesn't improve it any.

2. Next model will have new pcm with CarPlay android auto - spend your sound plus savings on direct connect which is a convenience option...

3. Extended leather with dash and tops of door caps well worth the $2500 IMO - lifts the interior and puts the brushed steel accent back on the doors to follow the line from the trim on the dash to create continuity

4. If you really want to treat yourself order the steering column in leather or visors in aka alacantera. Nice way to set things off a little bit exclusive

5 if you use the car on track or a lot on road DONT order the lower sills painted. One of our group has and its pebble dashed to death alread and looks ugly. Has now been painted again twice. Even my black ones have gone all "furry" from rock rash. The front wheels flick stuff up that will pound these.

6 Led headlight is an aesthetic preference. Most of my buddies agree the standard lights(especially in black) look better. The practical lighting side seems no difference to me on early morning trips we have done in convoy to the track.

If you are going pcm only without Nav like I did then make sure you order phone prep (Bluetooth connect). The new CarPlay head unit means you can now broadcast your google maps and sci apps like Waze into the heady unit! Strictly speaking you don't need factory navi any more which will be a relief for many!!

My last piece of advice will be controversial. Unless you live in San Fran don't bother with lift! It's expensive complex adds weight and only good when you remember to use it. Front spoiler lips are $180 a shot - just learn to take a bit of care and you can pay for all your options above with what you save! Of the 5 guys I go to be track with 4 have lift and I don't. Only one of them will order lift next time because of his driveway which has a hard angle to negotiate. I've never regretted going without, I thought I would but as my car was a ROW "Clubsport spec" I decided to keep it simple and pure and I've not regretted the decision. My next one will not have lift...
Macca, what's your advice for LWBs and PCCBs for daily driving / country roads?

Any other options we should reconsider? I like your comments for front lift and savings $3500.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:58 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 146 Posts

Thank you macca for the great advice!! So much for getting the sills painted. I plan on wrapping the entire car in ppf but sounds like it's not worth getting them painted.
I should familiarize myself more with the options as I thought I had to get sound package plus in order to equip Nav.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
And why would Porsche give up 5000-6000 extra cars sold at around $200k a pop? What will they keep the GT department busy building in 2018? Will they build .2GT3s and .2GT2/RSs for 2+ years?
Yes, build build build.. GT3, R (GT3+) and RS TT only.

Originally Posted by Spacedust
I have to admit my information is about 4 months old and it was: there will be no 991.2 GT3 RS. The next GT3 RS was planned to be a hybrid one and therefore it will be 992 and available in about 2 to 3 years. This information was from a very reliable source in Weissach. As you know many things and persons changed at Porsche in the last months due to the infamous Diesel Gate (I am german and i shame for that) and now they need turnover and money, so strategies can change at Porsche. But again some months ago, next GT3 RS was planned as a hybrid on the base of 992, this was the story I was told. There will be also coming a 911 R again, next time unlimited, not now, will take some time ....
There will no be 3 lines with many options;
GT3 for track
R is GT3 driveline with RS goodies
RS the daddy for fastest laptimes so it new longer gets beat by TTS..

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
Wing delete--that is very surprising. Thanks for sharing.
Not so much wing delete as it is R diffuser option.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:26 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

wonder if they'll have the "diffuser" together with the wing?.. or just without? judging by that test prototype we say seems like both?

Quick Reply: The official 991.2 GT3 thread-latest pics,rumors,build specs