Sponsored by:

The official 991.2 GT3 thread-latest pics,rumors,build specs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I think "historical" goes out the window when Porsche knows that there will be big demand for the .2GT3 and they need all the cash that they can get. Why leave profits on the table for flippers and speculators? Base will be in the low $140s is my guess.
Agree that low 140s base price is likely. I guess the real question is, will they charge more for the PDK or manual version?

For other P-cars, the manual option is the base and free included option, However PDK costs extra money. This is likely the approach that PAG will take with the 991.2 GT3 as the most reliable report I hear is that Porsche will limit manuals to about 40% of produced cars in north america. So Porsche will make more money by doing the usual and charging for PDK-S, as thats more people to charge an extra fee.

However, the 40% or whatever percentage that is gunning for manual .2 GT3 I think will be so determined to get a manual GT3, that I expect Porsche could make the PDK-S standard as it was with the .1 GT3 and charge double the usual PDK price, say $6,000 but for a manual option, and even more for a light-weight flywheel, and I think all the manual lovers would still pay for it.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:33 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think PDK will be quite a bit quicker from 0-60 and 0-100 (you can see this by comparing 911R 0-60 in 3.7s and RS 0-60 in 3.1s), due to the lower gearing and launch control. But, I don't think the Nurburgring times should be very different, unless they handicap the manual car with its configuration in some way. I think people vastly overestimate the value of PDK on a road course. There is an advantage, but it's a small one when the manual is well driven.
See EVO video of AP on the release of the GT3.Every shift of a PDK-S GT3 is worth one half a car length versus the equivalent manual GT3.

That is material anywhere.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
See EVO video of AP on the release of the GT3.Every shift of a PDK-S GT3 is worth one half a car length versus the equivalent manual GT3.

There is so much Kool-Aid in that statement(from AP not from you),I don't even know where to begin...
Old 11-28-2016, 08:48 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree that low 140s base price is likely. I guess the real question is, will they charge more for the PDK or manual version?

For other P-cars, the manual option is the base and free included option, However PDK costs extra money. This is likely the approach that PAG will take with the 991.2 GT3 as the most reliable report I hear is that Porsche will limit manuals to about 40% of produced cars in north america. So Porsche will make more money by doing the usual and charging for PDK-S, as thats more people to charge an extra fee.

However, the 40% or whatever percentage that is gunning for manual .2 GT3 I think will be so determined to get a manual GT3, that I expect Porsche could make the PDK-S standard as it was with the .1 GT3 and charge double the usual PDK price, say $6,000 but for a manual option, and even more for a light-weight flywheel, and I think all the manual lovers would still pay for it.
They should totally charge more for manual! It's worth it IMO. Even more so for the LWFW! I'm pretty sure a LWFW is a well thought and engineered component,unlike some of the aftermarket I've seen. A LWFW is not enough : you need to have a balanced assembly(crankshaft) with the pulley on the front of the engine to avoid vibrations at certain RPMs.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ you selling COTY GT4?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

^^^I haven't decided yet... U buying?

Kiddin' aside,there's potential for a 4.0L manual GT3 to be even better if engines hold up...
Old 11-28-2016, 09:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

No, I'm sold on PDKS.
A poor mans' GT3R should be tempting for anyone with a GT4, unless you think it only won due to the David VS Goliath value proposition, but that should still hold true for the manual GT3 4.0.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Sure,we can find conspiracy theories all around us...and although I am certain the value proposition weighed quite heavily on their decision,I can't remember them talking about it much. They insisted instead on what makes,in their opinion at least,a driver's car and why should it win. They also had to point out,that while the other cars were brilliant,they weren't quite as usable and enjoyable on a public road without being in triple digits. We have to remain aware that these cars are used mostly on the street. Unfortunately I'm afraid they will reach more and more the above conclusion with new cars coming out,regardless whether they have a manual transmission or not...
Old 11-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

Actually the manuals should be cheaper than PDK due to all the tech. The PDK cost is baked into the current model. DCT in M cars cost more than the manual 2900.00 vs. manual.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA

Don't some manuals have flat shift functions now?... that could reduce the advantage of the pdks
Old 11-28-2016, 11:55 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

I want the manual because driving one with a LWFW is fun. I miss driving my 7.1RS. I literally miss the sound of the flywheel rattling.

The 4.0L unit is already proven, and will come with even more updates for long term reliability. I am not worried one bit about that motor. It's going to be brilliant.

What's funny, is WAY back in the 996 GT3 days, it was the only car of it's kind, before everybody jumped on the GT3 spirit bandwagon. Now, everybody has moved on to turbos and dual clutches.....but there is Porsche, still making the same basic car, once again, by themselves. Selling every single one they make.

Who cares how much slower it is. I sure don't.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:23 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
You are right but just like with any other product company they have pricing teams that have a multitude of variables and constraints they must follow to be successful in the market and overall strategy. Recent history has shown us that Porsche is not so knee-jerk and short-sighted as you say - just look at the recent price hikes from 991.1 to 991.2 models (all US market btw)...

C2 - 6.0%
C2S - 4.6%
C4 - 5.8%
C4S - 4.4%
Turbo - 5.4%
Turbo S - 3.0%

Why do you think the GT3 will be so much higher?

Yes, VAG is in trouble financially but I don't think going crazy on their pricing strategies is what the executives have decided the fix will be. We'll see though. Upping production or creating new models wouldn't be out of the question though.
Has anyone done an analysis of changes in MSRP for all Carrera models since 997? It would be interesting to see the historical data and how close it mirrors inflation indexes. I'm guessing an average of 3-4% each year for the past 10 years.

Quick Reply: The official 991.2 GT3 thread-latest pics,rumors,build specs