The official 991.2 GT3 thread-latest pics,rumors,build specs

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 12:56 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Tangent but wanted to share...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/po...etails-quotes/

Looks like Porsche's global sales chief confirmed Porsche will not be going down market with cheaper crossovers / sports cars but will be expanding current product lines with the panny wagon and electrification.

Also, looks like they will be introducing the 960 mid-mounted turbo'd 8-cylinder 488 killer, positioning it above the 911 right around the time the 992 arrives. What are the implications for GT cars I wonder.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,710 Likes on 2,687 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
Also, looks like they will be introducing the 960 mid-mounted turbo'd 8-cylinder 488 killer, positioning it above the 911 right around the time the 992 arrives. What are the implications for GT cars I wonder.
If the 960 is coming, that is one more reason it would be foolish to price the GT3 much higher (and consequently the future GT3 RS and GT2 RS much higher) than the current price. Otherwise, this would push the 960 into a very difficult price category. Hopefully, there will be a lightweight RWD (and possibly even manual gearbox with NA motor) version of the 960 for the GT category.

We have to remember that there would be some interesting alternatives to a nearly $200k GT3 (like the $185k McLaren 570S and its inevitable future track versions). Let the future GT3 RS and GT2 RS (and 960) fight with the supercars. Porsche owns the $130-140k segment with the GT3 now...
Old 11-21-2016, 01:29 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Good thing the GT3 is pretty good in basic bare-bones form and Porsche gives us the option to make it all glitz and glam if that's what you are in to.
I am surprised they don't load up the GT3RS making a lot of things standard.

Ceramics CF seat etc - if they loaded up a package then discounted that slightly like Ferrari they would build in a lot more profit.

Understand guys want bare bones but Porsche knows the GT3RS is under the competition and will now add panache terms like "race engine" to increase sticker.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nuvolari612

Ceramics CF seat etc - if they loaded up a package then discounted that slightly like Ferrari they would build in a lot more profit.
The RS does include the CF Bucket seats. Doesn't include PCCB's, because some consider this a downgrade (or an expensive sideways move) for a track car.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:36 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Understand guys want bare bones but Porsche knows the GT3RS is under the competition and will now add panache terms like "race engine" to increase sticker.
It might clash with Porsche's ethos. They've always been about options so the customer can spec it exactly how he or she wants. Some people want sofa seats, steel brakes, cheapest headlights, etc... in their RS... allowing Porsche to lower the MSRP
Old 11-21-2016, 01:56 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
This is the age of taking on record levels of debt and living way beyond your means.

If you're stretching just to barely get your hands on a car at $150k, that extra $50k would be WAY beyond the realm of possibility.

While I'm sure there are quite a few members here that can bandy $50k around like pocket change, I wouldn't expect that to be a reality for most.

100% agree. Lots of near free money out there sloshing around. Porsche >MSRP prices shock me just like the U.S. stock market. Still amazes me that people buy cars for more than MSRP. And amazes me even more that Porsche plays into this craze by constricting production. As a customer, this is a major turnoff and detractor of Porsche brand value.

With VW stock down ~50% from its March 2015 highs I would expect Porsche to realize they've hit a nerve with 911R and 1) not increase pricing significantly from 2016, and 2) make the 991.2 GT3 very similar to 911R but with greater weight and build as many as the market demands.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:57 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrantG
The RS does include the CF Bucket seats. Doesn't include PCCB's, because some consider this a downgrade (or an expensive sideways move) for a track car.
Thanks did not know.

Just bought GT3RS with 18 way looking for CF assumed they were an extra ... so the 18 way seats are an extra?
Old 11-21-2016, 01:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks did not know.

Just bought GT3RS with 18 way looking for CF assumed they were an extra ... so the 18 way seats are an extra?
You can have either one for same price ($0) - check the configurator on http://www.porsche.com/usa/modelstart/
Old 11-21-2016, 02:01 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

It might clash with Porsche's ethos. They've always been about options so the customer can spec it exactly how he or she wants. Some people want sofa seats, steel brakes, cheapest headlights, etc... in their RS... allowing Porsche to lower the MSRP
Agree.

But they need profits - on a hot car such as the GT3RS seems they could add more real value vs dealers selling above sticker.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:09 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrantG
You can have either one for same price ($0) - check the configurator on http://www.porsche.com/usa/modelstart/
Thank you and shocked
Old 11-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

No matter what's added to the car they will still sell above sticker. Most cars on dealers lots are 2nd sales, and the dealer is trying to cash in on top of what they paid. I met one dealer that paid 240k on a 208k MSRP car, and my gut says they will not get 240k. I rather choose my options vs. a lot of crap I would never use nor want.

End of the day Porsche makes all their money on the GT cars, and they consider GT cars a reward to their top customers that buy all the other cars. The goal is to keep demand low, and we all go crazy right(: It works are you have people trying to buy the new GT3 that's not even available vs. enjoy what they have. I will drive my RS until the wheels fall off, unless I trade it for another RS.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
100% agree. Lots of near free money out there sloshing around. Porsche >MSRP prices shock me just like the U.S. stock market. Still amazes me that people buy cars for more than MSRP. And amazes me even more that Porsche plays into this craze by constricting production. As a customer, this is a major turnoff and detractor of Porsche brand value.

With VW stock down ~50% from its March 2015 highs I would expect Porsche to realize they've hit a nerve with 911R and 1) not increase pricing significantly from 2016, and 2) make the 991.2 GT3 very similar to 911R but with greater weight and build as many as the market demands.
Who says that they won't build enough to satisfy demand. I bet they will! But of course,you won't see brand new dealer specced GT3s sitting on their lots. The philosophy is the same as it has always been : a name for every car.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:01 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default what do we think upgrades might be?

Since we seem to know almost everything from a design perspective on the new car, i find the surprises related to potential (hoped-for) individual part upgrades to be more interesting. In no particular order, I'm hoping for the following.. which ones are wishful thinking and which ones are realistic?

-center locks: hopefully they come out with a Gen II, kind of like they did with PCCB's.. a lock which requires a much easier and more rational process for installing and removing wheels. Maybe a locking function so someone doesn't have to hold brake pedal down?.. or a no-grease hub?... or an easier locking pin for example? I think this would go a long way to making owners happy who have had to deal with these absurd devices.

-pccb: even longer lasting?.. or maybe making the option slightly less expensive, or with a cheaper replacement cost?

-front lift: even faster, or more importantly.. higher rising than the current option?

-sport chrono software: easier to use/integrate with iOS for download?.. maybe with the option for integrated cameras like on a mclaren?

-rear steering improvements.. greater angle of steer for low and fast speeds?

-some kind of underbody aero?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Since we seem to know almost everything from a design perspective on the new car, i find the surprises related to potential (hoped-for) individual part upgrades to be more interesting. In no particular order, I'm hoping for the following.. which ones are wishful thinking and which ones are realistic?

-center locks: hopefully they come out with a Gen II, kind of like they did with PCCB's.. a lock which requires a much easier and more rational process for installing and removing wheels. Maybe a locking function so someone doesn't have to hold brake pedal down?.. or a no-grease hub?... or an easier locking pin for example? I think this would go a long way to making owners happy who have had to deal with these absurd devices.

-pccb: even longer lasting?.. or maybe making the option slightly less expensive, or with a cheaper replacement cost?

-front lift: even faster, or more importantly.. higher rising than the current option?

-sport chrono software: easier to use/integrate with iOS for download?.. maybe with the option for integrated cameras like on a mclaren?

-rear steering improvements.. greater angle of steer for low and fast speeds?

-some kind of underbody aero?
For me, I hope that:
- 5 stud wheels are an option. I hate the CLs
- a rear camera (parking is a bitch)
- a slightly higher wing for better rear view visibility
- a slightly taller 7th gear for slightly more relaxed highway cruising because you never get to use 7th on the track. The highest gear I have ever used on a track is 6th on the long Kemmel straight at Spa.
- better sport chrono software...and I very much like your idea of an integrated camera. That's an excellent suggestion.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:32 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Is Porsche exempt from the back-up camera ruling that all cars in the US need to have a backup camera by 2018?

Quick Reply: The official 991.2 GT3 thread-latest pics,rumors,build specs