Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   "PDK Sport" What does sport mean ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/959529-pdk-sport-what-does-sport-mean.html)

MJK-PurpleRS 10-23-2016 09:06 PM

"PDK Sport" What does sport mean ?

The RS has just hit 700 miles so i have been trying out that button top left of the shifter that reads "PDK Sport" The issue i'am having is that when pushed there is nothing "sporty" about what happens next. So what would be a better name for that button. I think " Angry PDK" would be more fitting,or "PDK Track Only". I know i have given my thoughts on the RS many times before, but I'a
m still in "Shock and Awe" when it comes to this car. Yes i have driven faster,but nothing as angry and pissed off as the RS. I know its just a material item that isn't important in the grand scheme of things, but it sure can put a huge smile on my face and make me feel just a bit better everyday. I have to feel sorry for those who have purchased the RS and never drove it to turn a quick buck. The feeling it has given me back is worth more to me than money. I cant help this i was raised in a car nut family!!! Damaged for life!!!!!

qbix 10-24-2016 05:55 AM

This button I believe works in the same manner as in the regular GT3. If so then it works only in combination with PDK Auto. Keeps transmission in high rpms and shifts gears fast.
When operated PDK Manual mode the PDK Sport switch does absolutely nothing.

Kobalt 10-24-2016 06:07 AM

Press the button and floor the pedal (leave it in auto mode).
Feel how the car jumps forward on every shift.

Try again without it. When in Sport the engine keeps it momentum during shifts.

JCtx 10-24-2016 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by qbix (Post 13696308)
When operated PDK Manual mode the PDK Sport switch does absolutely nothing.

Yes it does. It relaxes the nannies more, shifts quicker (although I doubt anybody can feel the difference), and supposedly makes throttle mapping more aggressive (minor difference). It's the equivalent of sport+ on lesser Porsches.

raclaims 10-24-2016 05:33 PM

Interesting...one thing I'd never describe this car as is "angry and pissed off".

But I like your enthusiasm!

Any time I'm shifting myself...I use the button....if i'm in miserable traffic i leave it off and let the car shift (its not very pleasant but it does the job)

FredGT3 10-24-2016 06:44 PM

One thing that caught me out was that in auto mode PDK-S only downchanges under braking. It won't "kick down". That made me think something was wrong and the OPC didn't know what it was. I read one of Porsche's tech documents on PDK-S and learnt it there.

Regards
Fred

bronson7 10-24-2016 06:52 PM

It's the only way to drive it, regardless whether in auto or PDK manual.

Hashlak 10-24-2016 06:56 PM

I feel in the RS, PDK sport mode gives that extra push foward when shifting gears near redline.. Doesnt do that jump forward without PDK mode engaged..

p997s123 10-24-2016 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hashlak (Post 13697942)
I feel in the RS, PDK sport mode gives that extra push foward when shifting gears near redline.. Doesnt do that jump forward without PDK mode engaged..

^this

Mdrnenzo 10-24-2016 11:08 PM

Spot button make a huge difference in the shifting in auto. Holds shifts longer and is in lower gear. That's the way I drive in auto. Two boring I. Normal unless I am on phone.

qbix 10-25-2016 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by elp_jc (Post 13697720)
Yes it does. It relaxes the nannies more, shifts quicker (although I doubt anybody can feel the difference), and supposedly makes throttle mapping more aggressive (minor difference). It's the equivalent of sport+ on lesser Porsches.

Wow, that is a whole bunch of mystery knowledge. Throttle mapping, relaxing TC and ESP, shifts quicker...
Where did you read about it? User manual says exactly what it does.
And when I drive I feel exactly the same.

For most that don't read user manual it is placebo switch. Imagination of the word "Sport". Every button and item with "Sport" on it makes things so much sporty...

OCturbo 10-25-2016 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by elp_jc (Post 13697720)

pdk sport only alters the transmission. Nothing else

Kobalt 10-25-2016 12:31 PM

From the owners manual, page 132:

When in automatic mode:

In “PDK Sport” mode, the PDK transmission changes to a gear-changing map designed for driving on race circuits.
Maximum sportiness is reached immediately and the gear-changing points are shifted to higher revs.
This does change back if you adopt a moderately sporty driving style.

If the driver requires maximum acceleration (full throttle up to the rev limit), engine intervention is suppressed to make upshifts more sporty and comfortable. The engine also operates at full power during gear changes, reinforcing the dynamic torque increase still further.

qbix 10-25-2016 03:01 PM

Kobalt,

you took it out of context. If you have a closer look at the user's manual and how it is organised the part you have quoted is a sub chapter of SELECTOR LEVER POSITIONS, D-Automatic selection mode.
That sub chapter (D-Automatic selection mode) has parts: Basic setting, Switching "PDK Sport" mode on and off, Shifting gears on the steering wheel.
That's it.

Later if you continue reading there is continuing main part: M- manual selection mode where there is no mention of "PDK Sport".

To back it up I tried a couple of times driving in M mode and switching "PDK Sport" on and off. No difference at all. Go out, take a drive and objectively do this test to yourself.

surfer 10-25-2016 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by qbix (Post 13700127)
Kobalt,

you took it out of context. If you have a closer look at the user's manual and how it is organised the part you have quoted is a sub chapter of SELECTOR LEVER POSITIONS, D-Automatic selection mode.
That sub chapter (D-Automatic selection mode) has parts: Basic setting, Switching "PDK Sport" mode on and off, Shifting gears on the steering wheel.
That's it.

Later if you continue reading there is continuing main part: M- manual selection mode where there is no mention of "PDK Sport".

To back it up I tried a couple of times driving in M mode and switching "PDK Sport" on and off. No difference at all. Go out, take a drive and objectively do this test to yourself.

+991. Tested this out yesterday driving home from work. Noted a difference in automatic mode but not in manual mode.