Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did they limit the production of the 911 R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Yes, it likely wouldn't trade above MSRP if they didn't limit production but I disagree that 99% want it for wrong reason.

They tried going automatic only on the GT3 and were stunned by the backlash. They dipped a toe in the water with the GT4 and were again overwhelmed by the demand.
While I agree with most of your statements this us one were I do not. Porsche sold every GT3/RS it built. Many were sold at unbeleivable premiums. I would agree if you had argued that they were stunned by the CLAMOR for a MT. BTW this is mostly a USA issue.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
While I agree with most of your statements this us one were I do not. Porsche sold every GT3/RS it built. Many were sold at unbeleivable premiums. I would agree if you had argued that they were stunned by the CLAMOR for a MT. BTW this is mostly a USA issue.
It's not an " issue ",it's reality. Nizer is right. And it's not in the US only,there are many enthusiasts all over the World that are looking for a good modern manual...look at the GT4. Thank God Porsche is looking at the actual numbers rather than unfounded rumors on the GT3/RS/R forum.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:29 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,800 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
I think allot of people want the R because it's the only 911 right now you can buy with a GT engine in manual. I disagree that 99% of people want them for the wrong reasons. It's going to be at least a year before you can get the new GT3 in manual, so if you want that driving experience today your only choice is a R.
It'll be interesting to see what happens to R prices once the .2GT3 hits the streets next year.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

It would be interesting to see, which we may never be made public, the take rate of PDK v. MT across various markets. Also it be interesting to see if other automakers would feel pressured to offer MT, or whether this is a Porsche aficionado clamor primarily.

I would venture to say that if PAG would not be looking to grow its sales by a significant number of units that a GT3 w/MT might have not become a reality. I could be wrong but to me it looks like a market share grab particularly after a philosophical decision was made to go PDK only years ago. Maybe PAG read the market wrong (or its customers for that matter). While it would be nice to believe that I think that their decision was not made in a vacuum.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:18 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

The take rate will most likely be significant in favor of pdk,there's no denying that,despite the advantage a manual transmission had in several polls posted on Rennlist. Let's face it : that rate doesn't quite translate into real World numbers...
Other than that,the truth is PAG doesn't have much to lose but a lot to gain by satisfying all their customers. If the manual take rate is decent they will build it. I hope it is clear now that : " a small GT department "/ " production complexity " and " an engine that revs too fast for a manual " ARE NOT reasons to deny it from happening. But real World demand,a GT4 that has won first places ahead of cars that cost 3-4 times more,an R that sent journos screaming " YES! " ARE reasons to ABSOLUTELY build it!!!

Last edited by neanicu; 10-19-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:50 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
It'll be interesting to see what happens to R prices once the .2GT3 hits the streets next year.
My prediction, it will come down to 150K over sticker for the normal 911R, 200-250K over sticker for the true PTS and stay there for the foreseeable future.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:06 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

^you can never say no to a couple of
carbon bumpers for only 150k
unless in PTS indeed
Old 10-19-2016, 06:00 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neanicu
The take rate will most likely be significant in favor of pdk,there's no denying that,despite the advantage a manual transmission had in several polls posted on Rennlist. Let's face it : that rate doesn't quite translate into real World numbers...
Other than that,the truth is PAG doesn't have much to lose but a lot to gain by satisfying all their customers. If the manual take rate is decent they will build it. I hope it is clear now that : " a small GT department "/ " production complexity " and " an engine that revs too fast for a manual " ARE NOT reasons to deny it from happening. But real World demand,a GT4 that has won first places ahead of cars that cost 3-4 times more,an R that sent journos screaming " YES! " ARE reasons to ABSOLUTELY build it!!!
I agree with that. My dream, although far fetched, would be if PAG would put a flat shift sequential in one of the streetable GT cars. If they do I am in!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Stgrt
Porsche is in the process of making their cars more high end as far as pricing goes. Limiting production of certain cars causes them to sell for very high markups. This helps to justify future price increases, shape their brand image, and condition their customers to spending more on their cars without actually making them more expensive. They know the market and their customers very well.

Cars like the 911R and 911 GT series cars are not primary profit drivers. Porsche makes cars like the 911R to shape brand perception. Look at Porsche's annual report and you will see 911 sales as a whole are less than 15% of their total vehicle sales. They sell far more Cayennes and Macans.

The end goal is to use cars like the 911R and 911 GT cars to elevate the brand in order to give themselves more room to maneuver the pricing and variants on their lower tier models. Look at the price increase from the 997.1 ($124,900 MSRP) to 997.2 ($135,500) to 991.1 GT3 RS ($175,900). Increasing these prices allows them to make cars like the Cayman GT4, 911 GTS, and various other cars and ultimately increase their sales and profits.

Essentially, Porsche is using cars like the 911R to eventually make even more variants of the Cayman, 911, Boxster and to a certain extent their other cars which will lead to an increase in profits.
Very well put. This is it. Thread closed.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:58 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Not to worry, they will build it.

Quick Reply: Why did they limit the production of the 911 R?