Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did they limit the production of the 911 R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 04:21 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
In Porsche's eyes, the 911R isn't for everyone, they built it to beta test the manual transmission for the next GT3, and sell the cars to the 918 owners to test them.

918 owners won't bitch much if at all if there are any problems, they will just drive another car.

The markup on the car is insane simply because most people think of it wrong, they think it's a car they can flip. That's why they all want one to flip. And hence the inflated 2nd hand price.

Seriously, had Porsche didn't limit the production of the R, the price will not be above MSRP ever. It's just a beta car after all.

99% of the people who wants one wants it for the wrong reason, they just wanted one to flip, either immediately or down the road. If they are actually serious about what the car represent, they won't even buy the R and go straight ahead to the next GT3.
Great to hear someone speaking the truth.

Not so sure they built it for beta testing but completely agree that there are a lot of people buying modern GT/RS/r for the wrong reasons.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:25 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Stgrt
What do you make of Audi leaving LMP1? May signal a change in the direction of the Audi brand.

In some markets Volkswagen has moved down market, or at least some cars like the Jetta have. Probably partly to make room for cars like the Audi A3 and A4.

They need to avoid going down the route General Motors chose in the 1980s. Depending on how the emissions scandal impacts their finances they may end up going down that path without any choice in the matter.
VW is very different in US and row.
Passat is a very strong competitor for 5 series/ A6 in Europe. When it comes to the VW golf there is almost no competition . In the US VW is more like Seat or Skoda is in Europe.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:25 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:32 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

[QUOTE=Stgrt;13679404]Certainly not the entire lineup but just the top of the line like what they did with the 997.2 GT3 RS to 991 GT3 RS. Then they could also raise the price of the GT3 somewhat and fit another 911 variant between the GTS and gt3

I've been speculating in the same direction. Don't think they will fit another variant between the GTS and gt3. But, the market can handle a more expensive and more CF rich 991.2gt3 with a 4.0l engine and MT option. Probably skip 991.2rs and go only 991gt2rs. Obviously with a very different price tag.

The big questions will be if they will make the 991.2gt3 even more street friendly. As of now the 991rs is more comfortable on the road and still faster on track than the 991.1gt3!

Will be interesting to see Porsches next GT move.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:58 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:12 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

In Porsche's eyes, the 911R isn't for everyone, they built it to beta test the manual transmission for the next GT3, and sell the cars to the 918 owners to test them.

918 owners won't bitch much if at all if there are any problems, they will just drive another car.

The markup on the car is insane simply because most people think of it wrong, they think it's a car they can flip. That's why they all want one to flip. And hence the inflated 2nd hand price.

Seriously, had Porsche didn't limit the production of the R, the price will not be above MSRP ever. It's just a beta car after all.

99% of the people who wants one wants it for the wrong reason, they just wanted one to flip, either immediately or down the road. If they are actually serious about what the car represent, they won't even buy the R and go straight ahead to the next GT3.
Yes, it likely wouldn't trade above MSRP if they didn't limit production but I disagree that 99% want it for wrong reason. There are a lot of customers that have been begging for this type of car since the day Porsche announced the GT3 would be automatic-only, and in reality well before.

Porsche is a conservative company but they're ever so slowly realizing that there's a market for cars that maximize driver engagement over HP and lap times. Not everyone wants a car that uses technology to hammer the road into submission instead of a scalpel to carve it up. PASM, PTV, PSM, PDCC, electric steering, RWS, centerlocks, turbos.....some of it works and some of it doesn't. But one need only look at BMW to see how easily chasing technology can go off track.

The irony is the concept of light, simple performance cars that delivered more than the sum of their parts is one Porsche have historically dominated, but for whatever reason seem bent on distancing themselves from more recently. Problem is every time they do a large contingent of their core customers make it clear that it's a mistake.

They tried going automatic only on the GT3 and were stunned by the backlash. They dipped a toe in the water with the GT4 and were again overwhelmed by the demand. The 911R was another experiment along this theme and I'm quite confident they're scratching their heads at the response.

Maybe if we're lucky in 10yrs time we'll get the Porsche-produced 2700lb, 500hp 911 GT with a full warranty many of us want. If not we can only hope our incomes rise enough to allow a re-imagined Singer or RUF 964.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:09 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

^go figure the R "value" if a re-imagined 964
Old 10-18-2016, 12:23 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nizer
Yes, it likely wouldn't trade above MSRP if they didn't limit production but I disagree that 99% want it for wrong reason. There are a lot of customers that have been begging for this type of car since the day Porsche announced the GT3 would be automatic-only, and in reality well before.

Porsche is a conservative company but they're ever so slowly realizing that there's a market for cars that maximize driver engagement over HP and lap times. Not everyone wants a car that uses technology to hammer the road into submission instead of a scalpel to carve it up. PASM, PTV, PSM, PDCC, electric steering, RWS, centerlocks, turbos.....some of it works and some of it doesn't. But one need only look at BMW to see how easily chasing technology can go off track.

The irony is the concept of light, simple performance cars that delivered more than the sum of their parts is one Porsche have historically dominated, but for whatever reason seem bent on distancing themselves from more recently. Problem is every time they do a large contingent of their core customers make it clear that it's a mistake.

They tried going automatic only on the GT3 and were stunned by the backlash. They dipped a toe in the water with the GT4 and were again overwhelmed by the demand. The 911R was another experiment along this theme and I'm quite confident they're scratching their heads at the response.

Maybe if we're lucky in 10yrs time we'll get the Porsche-produced 2700lb, 500hp 911 GT with a full warranty many of us want. If not we can only hope our incomes rise enough to allow a re-imagined Singer or RUF 964.
Agree with most of what you said, except that the 991gt3 and its PDK. With spending a lot of time in Europe the MT thing feels like a way bigger topic for the US market than the ROW.

There is a lot of different reasons for the success of these later GT models. I think it's the sum of all theories that have created the hype or bubble we are seeing now.

Last N/A
Last MT
Last non hybrid
Financial market
Etc. etc

Porsche has taken full advantage of the situation with record sales. Understandable but IMO a bit sad. They still have the opportunity to move the RS model a lot closer to the cup/R!
It's takes more work to do it today then it did 20-30 years ago. But a true RS should in my mind feel like a barely street legal race car. That will sell way less RS but keep the heritage alive.

The R is a brilliant car but to name it R and play on the heritage of the original R is laughable IMO.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:57 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 97 Posts

I agree with practically all of what Nizer has said - there is group of drivers waiting for a car that is engagement-focused, rather than numbers-focused. I do not care at all that there are many cars that will beat the R, or even the RS, around a track, but I do care about the driving experience that the car delivers.

Premiums? In Asia, we often start at TWICE the MSRP of the R's U.S. price, and in certain countries go to 3 or more times U.S. MSRP. And yet all the cars were spoken for just as quickly, these are much poorer countries than the U.S., and many of these cars will be driven. So yes, there is demand globally even at much higher prices than what our lucky friends in the U.S. have to pay.

Hopefully, with the GT3.2 manual, the market dynamics will change, and more drivers will be able to enjoy cars like the R at a lower price point.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:00 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

To be clear, Asia MSRP often starts at TWICE U.S. MSRP, and goes up from there. In some case in some countries, in excess of 3 times U.S. MSRP.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:20 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,771 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Porsche is a conservative company but they're ever so slowly realizing that there's a market for cars that maximize driver engagement over HP and lap times.
And if that's how Porsche decides to position themselves going forward it will be a concession that they cannot keep up with the big boys (i.e., Ferrari, McLaren, etc.).

Maybe they've already made that concession, knowingly or not. The 991 GT2/RS will go a long way to answering that question.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:37 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

They have a broader product line than Ferrari or McLaren, and the 918, RS, and GT3 have done a more than admirable job of going head to head with the competitor's respective cars. It is Ferrari and Mac that, for now, have no answer for the R.

Let us just hope that with so many variants, Porsche does not lose their edge.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:01 AM
Stgrt
Instructor

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0

There is a lot of different reasons for the success of these later GT models. I think it's the sum of all theories that have created the hype or bubble we are seeing now.

Last N/A
Last MT
Last non hybrid
Financial market
Etc. etc
Agree, no single thing.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
And if that's how Porsche decides to position themselves going forward it will be a concession that they cannot keep up with the big boys (i.e., Ferrari, McLaren, etc.).
I think 918 addressed this issue. Now if you're saying 911 in it's current configuration will find it increasingly challenging to keep up with carbon fiber, mid-engine exotics then I agree, but that's an apple to oranges comparison IMO.

Originally Posted by Stgrt
I agree with most of what you wrote but do you have a source regarding them being stunned by the reaction to PDK? I would be surprised if they were. Going PDK seems more like a calculated move that they knew would be controversial. But it allowed them to elevate PDK by associating it with the GT series cars. That would make it seem more like PDK was the standard for people who want an engaging driving experience rather than an alternative to manual.
Agree it opened GT3 to wider audience but I'm quite confident that without the backlash we'd never see a manual in another GT product.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:31 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

I think allot of people want the R because it's the only 911 right now you can buy with a GT engine in manual. I disagree that 99% of people want them for the wrong reasons. It's going to be at least a year before you can get the new GT3 in manual, so if you want that driving experience today your only choice is a R.

Quick Reply: Why did they limit the production of the 911 R?