Sponsored by:

Review:OEM vs Sharkwerks vs CMS exhausts on my RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 02:46 PM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpinon
Been rotating a few center bypass mufflers and so far the CMS has the best overall sound.

Only a few miles so far, but the leader in the clubhouse currently.

Do you have experience with the GMG or BBI bypasses? Which of the bypasses that you've tried is the loudest?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:56 PM
NJRickD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murph85
I'm interested in this exhaust, just not a fan of the tips.
Me either. Not sure I could get past those
Old 08-09-2017, 03:33 PM
CMS
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by murph85
I'm interested in this exhaust, just not a fan of the tips.
Totally understand, it's different from the others and aesthetics are very personal. I would suggest that, if you like everything about the CMS exhaust but aren't sure about the look of the outlet, you give it a try in person on your own car. If you don't like the look (or anything else, for that matter), you can return it to us for a full refund no questions asked.

The look of the CMS exhaust is hard to judge from photos; you have to see it in person to know whether it's "different good" or "different not good" for you. (To date, we haven't had anyone take us up on that, but we make the guarantee because it's different and we're different.)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:36 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovecarbs
Do you have experience with the GMG or BBI bypasses? Which of the bypasses that you've tried is the loudest?
CMS and GMG are similar in volume, with the CMS sounding less "boomy". The build up in sound is more linear in the CMS, the GMG comes in a bit choppy. The GMG does sound meaner, but to my ears the CMS is not too over the top.

My impression of the CMS is that there seems to be more back pressure at low RPMs. Maybe there is something to their claim that their design scavenges the flow of the exhaust better.

Can't comment on the BBI.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:12 PM
CMS
Former Vendor

...My impression of the CMS is that there seems to be more back pressure at low RPMs. Maybe there is something to their claim that their design scavenges the flow of the exhaust better...
Low-RPM back pressure is usually beneficial to low-end torque, though through our flow-bench testing we did not find that to be the case with our exhaust design so we can't claim that's intended. At high RPMs the flow increase in our design is significant -- the scavenging effect is easy to see in the video on our website showing the blowtorch being pulled into one end of the exhaust as air is blown into the opposite end.

We appreciate the compliments!
Old 08-09-2017, 05:20 PM
CMS
Former Vendor

This is video of the blowtorch being pulled 90 degrees into one end of our exhaust as compressed air is blown into the opposite end! No video trickery -- we don't actually know any -- just a demonstration of what we're talking about.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:04 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Maybe there is something to their claim that their design scavenges the flow of the exhaust better.
It is fairly typical to incorporate some form of cross-flow scavenging in the design of the center section. I've pointed to our little scavenging/equalizing pipe in the photo below. Simply put, it's a smart design choice, I can see why others do something similar.

As for our signature tip design. We were the first to really make a nice clean oval tip, clear back with the 996. It's been a nice clean aesthetic choice since the outset.

If anyone has any questions, by all means shoot us an email,

Andrew

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 08-14-2017, 11:30 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRickD
Me either. Not sure I could get past those
You're right. They'll pass you!

Quick Reply: Review:OEM vs Sharkwerks vs CMS exhausts on my RS