Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wingless RS till black uprights come in

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 05:11 PM
Frorhl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT ?!?!? More than 2000 ??? Beauty ok but it's totally crazy !

Thanks a lot for the link !
Old 02-07-2019, 05:12 PM
Frorhl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Your answer is in the photo...website is on the taillight...

https://sicktoiz.com/collection/porsche-gt2rs/

I like the look a lot...price is a bit steep for some winglets, though...

AHAHAH YES!!! Was on the photo ! OMG ... I'm totally senile
Old 02-08-2019, 01:06 PM
eecsdude
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

These pictures make me wish there was something for GT3 owners. Does the engine cover from the GT3RS fit on a GT3? Do the intakes line up? I guess it's probably pretty cost prohibitive.

EDIT: from the photos, it actually looks like the GT2RS engine intakes line up better than the GT3RS

EDIT2: Answering my own question: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ight=gt2rs+lid Looks like GT2RS lid actually matches GT3 pretty well. But at $20k, not worth it.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:56 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

I love the look however I agree that it would likely through off the balance of the car. We had a little render fun with it not too long ago:

View this post on Instagram

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 02-08-2019, 04:49 PM
ashephil
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 15 Posts

I have never really liked the huge wing on the RS cars, however I'm sure that Porsche uses them on these cars for good reason! I've always said that I would not buy a GT3 RS, unless I could afford one, and keep my 911 GTS. I'd drive the wingless GTS most of the time, and then the GT3RS with wing on track days, or when I just really want to get nutty. I do however think the wingless RS looks much better, IMO. Thanks for the post!
Old 02-08-2019, 05:06 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

...the comments about the missing balance apply to racetracks and high speed turns.

For most U.S. roads the speed limits won't allow the difference to be that noticeable (if any).

At 80mph (assuming constant speed), which is clearly way above most U.S. highway speed limits, a 991 GT2 RS is barely producing over 100 lbs of downforce, and it is a combination of the rear wing, the front bumper, fender vents, diffuser, sealed underbody, so not all the 100 lbs apply to the rear wing alone, as there is a balance of downforce applied all over the car. At lower speeds, the downforce forces reduce exponentially negative (the square of the lower speed ratio differential applied to the downforce at the higher speed).

So, enjoy the ride at normal speed limits, because if 40-60 lbs of missing rear downforce would upset the car balance so bad, then do never put a lightweight muffler on your car, or worse yet have a passenger riding with you.

In the meantime, who can make those little aluminum spoilers at not such a barbaric price?, and sure enough they must produce some sort of little extra downforce, the car looks classic. I don't mind my WP $$$$ wing as a sitting bench in my office waiting for the next track outing. Bonus: better mpg when towing on open trailer.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:12 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 623 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by ashephil
I have never really liked the huge wing on the RS cars, however I'm sure that Porsche uses them on these cars for good reason! I've always said that I would not buy a GT3 RS, unless I could afford one, and keep my 911 GTS. I'd drive the wingless GTS most of the time, and then the GT3RS with wing on track days, or when I just really want to get nutty. I do however think the wingless RS looks much better, IMO. Thanks for the post!
Yeah, I enjoyed RS wingless look for a few weeks, then after novelty wore off it seemed like it had been neutered somehow...
Felt much better after wing went back on especially after official logo went on the wing to complete the RS look...

​​​​​​​

Old 02-08-2019, 05:18 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Yeah, I enjoyed RS wingless look for a few weeks, then after novelty wore off it seemed like it had been neutered somehow...
Felt much better after wing went back on especially after official logo went on the wing to complete the RS look...

any concerns with removal of the 6 bolts that secure the uprights to the deck lid?
Old 02-08-2019, 06:50 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Your answer is in the photo...website is on the taillight...

https://sicktoiz.com/collection/porsche-gt2rs/

I like the look a lot...price is a bit steep for some winglets, though...
$$$$$ GULP!!!! Nope...
Old 02-08-2019, 07:06 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John Belk

$$$$$ GULP!!!! Nope...
Yeah totally. Maybe the thinking is that "They spent $250K for a car, what's $2K more?". I think the truth is that the reason people can afford to pay $250K is by being smart with their money rather than wasting it on overpriced stupid stuff... mostly.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:11 PM
John Belk
Racer

Originally Posted by KM1959
Yeah totally. Maybe the thinking is that "They spent $250K for a car, what's $2K more?". I think the truth is that the reason people can afford to pay $250K is by being smart with their money rather than wasting it on overpriced stupid stuff... mostly.
Yes^^^^
Old 02-08-2019, 08:11 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

The seller is a member here. From what he told me, he made it for his own cars (he has a GT2 RS and a 3RS) in his shop that makes the other fancy stuff. I don't think he is actively manufacturing/selling it, but will make one for you if you pay his price. I don't see a problem with that - free enterprise and all. Having said that, that is the best duck tail I have seen on a modern 911, factory efforts included.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:15 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 623 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by audiophilitis

any concerns with removal of the 6 bolts that secure the uprights to the deck lid?

Yes there is definitely a concern, in fact six cancerns.. 1 for each screw..

The engine cover is made of carbon fiber and has three inserts that accept each of the three screws on each side, one in the front and two in the back. These inserts are threaded into the CF of the engine cover and have an internal thread to accept the screw from the spoiler; they may be secured with glue in addition to just threading. Problem is in some cases the glue used to secure the insert to the CF leaks or overflows onto the screw used to fix the uprights to the CF engine cover. The screws themselves are readily available and have a blue coating to prevent loosening with vibration, however the inserts I could not find a part number to replace. Problem occurs when in some cases, unscrewing the screws holding the uprights into the CF engine cover results (because the screw somehow got bonded to the insert, possibly from some of that glue at initial mounting) results in the whole insert coming out of the CF wing. In my case that happened only on the very last screw and I was able to carefully keep it aligned and not bend/destroy the whole in the CF engine cover. If you search in prior posts, you can see others have not been as lucky and have completely deformed/destroyed the CF engine cover. Also, the CF being what it is, it doesn't react well to screwing/unscrewing the insert because it can easily strip and then you would have to find a bigger insert etc,

Bottom line, this is not an easy process because of the difficulty in knowing ahead of time whether removing the screw will also dislodge the insert in the CF wing. Some users have been able to remove all six screws without issue, others lucky like in my case, got away with it by only having one affected and then rethreading into the CF with the same insert without problem and others have completely destroyed the CF engine cover acceptor holes, with very costly consequences, up to having to replace the entire engine cover.

Sorry for long-winded answer.

Also for the nay-sayer questioning change in handling, I agree #lbs of downforce at ~80-85 shouldn't make difference and should not be detectable but maybe placebo effect, it definitely felt different. You may want to go ahead and try it yourself, and next 80-90 mph turn you take somewhere in Mexico wingless, you could tell us how it feels if any different...

my $.02, ymmv
Old 02-08-2019, 08:23 PM
John Belk
Racer

How I supported the Free Enterprise at one point. GENUINE MONEY PIT...

Originally Posted by sunnyr
The seller is a member here. From what he told me, he made it for his own cars (he has a GT2 RS and a 3RS) in his shop that makes the other fancy stuff. I don't think he is actively manufacturing/selling it, but will make one for you if you pay his price. I don't see a problem with that - free enterprise and all. Having said that, that is the best duck tail I have seen on a modern 911, factory efforts included.
I support free enterprise completely, a foundation of capitalism for sure. Just stating for me it’s a no...that said I’ve paid for custom work on a once owned 69 Z/28 Camaro Prostreet and happily dumped bags of money iinto that project. I’m sure someone who really wanted these end pieces would gladly spend the $2100.00!!! Heck, if it was a Porsche option, you could possibly double that price.
Have a good one....JB

Last edited by John Belk; 02-09-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:19 AM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Yes there is definitely a concern, in fact six cancerns.. 1 for each screw..

The engine cover is made of carbon fiber and has three inserts that accept each of the three screws on each side, one in the front and two in the back. These inserts are threaded into the CF of the engine cover and have an internal thread to accept the screw from the spoiler; they may be secured with glue in addition to just threading. Problem is in some cases the glue used to secure the insert to the CF leaks or overflows onto the screw used to fix the uprights to the CF engine cover. The screws themselves are readily available and have a blue coating to prevent loosening with vibration, however the inserts I could not find a part number to replace. Problem occurs when in some cases, unscrewing the screws holding the uprights into the CF engine cover results (because the screw somehow got bonded to the insert, possibly from some of that glue at initial mounting) results in the whole insert coming out of the CF wing. In my case that happened only on the very last screw and I was able to carefully keep it aligned and not bend/destroy the whole in the CF engine cover. If you search in prior posts, you can see others have not been as lucky and have completely deformed/destroyed the CF engine cover. Also, the CF being what it is, it doesn't react well to screwing/unscrewing the insert because it can easily strip and then you would have to find a bigger insert etc,

Bottom line, this is not an easy process because of the difficulty in knowing ahead of time whether removing the screw will also dislodge the insert in the CF wing. Some users have been able to remove all six screws without issue, others lucky like in my case, got away with it by only having one affected and then rethreading into the CF with the same insert without problem and others have completely destroyed the CF engine cover acceptor holes, with very costly consequences, up to having to replace the entire engine cover.

Sorry for long-winded answer.

Also for the nay-sayer questioning change in handling, I agree #lbs of downforce at ~80-85 shouldn't make difference and should not be detectable but maybe placebo effect, it definitely felt different. You may want to go ahead and try it yourself, and next 80-90 mph turn you take somewhere in Mexico wingless, you could tell us how it feels if any different...

my $.02, ymmv

Thank you -- although I do like the wingless look, potential damage to the deck lid is a concern. Appreciate the feedback

Quick Reply: Wingless RS till black uprights come in