Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 - Lease, Finance, or Buy Outright

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 04:30 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannieK

1) Lease - which I've done through PFS (I own my business).
2) Finance - which I've also done through PFS
3) Buy it outright (I've done this also, but for my Spyder, not a GT car).
I started this thread last year. As a follow up I've decided to buy my GT3 outright. For many reasons nothing else makes sense.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:25 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

^That's what I'm doing!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:23 PM
jareda80
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

With rates as low as they are I look at the opportunity cost of the cash needed to buy the car outright. If I can secure a stable return greater than the 2-3% in interest then I will likely finance mine. I'm currently looking at vacation properties at the moment that would return far greater than the interest I would pay on the GT3. So the opportunity cost of paying cash for the GT3 and not investing in another property just doesn't make sense for me. I view being able to have my GT3, cover any interest paid, and still have a healthy net gain with a new property that is paying for itself while it appreciates, a win-win.

Bottom line is that each individual has to do what makes sense for them and that they are comfortable with.

Last edited by jareda80; 03-12-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:37 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 105 Posts

As already stated, with rates as low as they are, it is free money if you can find a nice loan. My next door neighbor is the CEO of a local credit union, and gave me 1.89% for 6 years on my current GT3. I put 30% down and used the rest as capital on a couple of my spec homes I build on the side for fun. A win-win.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:42 PM
speeddistrict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonbmw
Who is offering 1.99% for 6 years?? Thanks
Originally Posted by timwu12
yes, i'd like to know this as well
Many lenders do.

I used Logix Credit Union. (They offer 2.24%, 1.99% with auto payment)

Also, Clear Path Credit Union.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:05 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
3rd party leases are cheaper than porsche financial right now.
For money factor? Residual? Or both?

The lease vs. finance (or cash) decision is a multi-faceted one -- there's no one-size-fits-all answer. Things like sales tax will influence what makes sense for you.

I believe Porsche sets GT3 residuals low, in part, to keep the monthly payments in line with other cars selling for equivalent $. For example, GT3s hold their value and Turbos don't in the early years. If Porsche pinned the GT3's residual to actual cash value at the end of 2 years, the monthly would be far less for a GT3 RS than any Turbo. In other words, the low residual on the Turbo kind of sets the bar for GT3 residuals.

I typically lease, because I avoid paying upfront sales tax. Especially in states like California that don't have a sales tax trade-in credit, lessors minimize sales tax, especially if you trade it in on a new one at the dealership.

Generally speaking (and this doesn't apply for GT3s for reason above), if you buy and die in the car, then it's usually better to pay cash UNLESS the factory is offering a competitive residual and money factor. Why? Leasing is like going to Vegas with the proposition: Heads I win; tails you lose. If the car is worth more than the residual, you win with the equity and exercise the buyout. If the car is worth less than the residual, you can walk and Porsche loses. In the case of GT3s, there's no real depreciation protection because the residual is artificially very low (making the payment artificially high).

As a dealer, I would incentivize all deals as leases because you've got a guaranteed return customer at the end of the 2 or 3 year lease.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

I'm just going to steal mine. Don't tell.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:15 PM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jareda80

Bottom line is that each individual has to do what makes sense for them and that they are comfortable with.
I couldn't agree more! It depends on your individual situation. Just a few years ago leasing, off-balancing with low rate loans or vacation income property would have been likely alternatives. But now financial status, my kids financial status, and (what's becoming the most important factor).....my age, have the most influence. At some point family health will factor into it too (although not for a long time I hope).

One thing's for sure....I ain't getting any younger. You guys in your 20's and 30's...if you're fortunate enough..do it while you can.

One last point....I've owned my own company for 30 years and car transportation was critical. Back then I leased and deducted everything I legally could. That was then.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
Leasing is usually a really bad deal with gt3's because Porsche financial services set the residual way below its actual resale value. For this reason, most purchase or finance
This is very true but don't forget the residual is typically the buyout number also so at the lease end, you can buy out the car at what might be a highly discounted cost.

I leased my Spyder and looked at it as financing with a balloon payment. And not to be too cynical, should my Spyder get damaged, should the value diminish more than expected, I can simply return the car.

The interest rate for the PFS lease was I believe identical to their loan rate. So for me I didn't really see any downside.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree that CA sales tax is an important factor in determining whether to lease to buy. More so if you plan to turn the car in after two years or even sooner. I wonder how PFS and Dealer handle an early return of a leased vehicle?

For an example, let's assume the buyer has a two year lease and wants to trade it in for a newer model after one year on the lease. Is the payout the residual plus the one year remaining on the lease? I suppose the Dealer could buy or take the car on trade in using wholesale values. But if the buyer is getting into another model either by leasing or financing through PFS, one would thing they would work out some sort of accommodation. Anyone have experience similar to the situation I described?

One can imagine a .2GT3 buyer in CA not wanting to pay the 8.5 sales tax especially if he plans to get into a .2GT3RS after a year or so.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:29 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonbmw
Who is offering 1.99% for 6 years?? Thanks
Navy Federal was offering 2.29 for 6years. 1.99 for 5yr. Haven't seen 1.99 for 6yr.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I wonder how PFS and Dealer handle an early return of a leased vehicle?
The dealer would give you the same amount for the car whether you own outright, financed it, or leased it.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I leased mine due to business deduction. Bought it after the second year.

Buy out was easy and then can resell for grater value.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:48 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While the IRS doesn't limit brands, one of the most common big red flags for an audit are high end cars with a high percentage write off. Remember, you do have to justify the business use portion. Anything above 70% is unrealistic.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:20 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The dealer would give you the same amount for the car whether you own outright, financed it, or leased it.
Exactly.

When you start considering a lease simply as a loan with a future option to buy or sell at an agreed price, it makes more sense.

If you don't keep your cars for more than 1-2 year, it's actually pretty stupid to buy a car for cash in California, no matter what your business situation, because you get hit with sales tax on the full value. You would need extremely high interest rates to be ahead with buying (higher than anything today).

I rarely keeps cars for more than a year, so I never "buy."

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 - Lease, Finance, or Buy Outright