New track in BC

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:36 PM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default New track in BC

This might interest someone!

There's a new track being built in British Columbia.

Looks nice too.

http://ca.motor1.com/news/98388/new-...e-track-built/
Old 09-14-2016, 08:42 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Okanagen Valley is a great area. Track should do well there.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:13 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

I am a early member there, one look at the plans and it's a no-brainer to join Area 27 over the Island track.

None of my cars will get out of 3nd gear on the Island track while the Area 27 track is much bigger and longer, safer and FIA certified to host races. There are practically no run offs on the Island track, uncleared dirt mounts are basically right next to the track surface while the Area 27 track has tons of run offs to recover. The main straight is 1/2 mile long with fast entrance and fast exit so cars can really get some serious speed.

None of my cars can get on the ferry to get to the Island either, some told me their whatever did, but I am not gonna risk damaging the underbody during low tide or windy sea.

Just the stretch of Highway 3 going from Vancouver to Osoyoos is already heaven, 2 lane mountain highway with no traffic.

Ferrari is in talk to do Challenge race there, Porsche is also doing the same for Cup series. McLaren, Lamborghini is already booked for customer days within the month.

The driving school at Area 27 is also FIA certified, and is capable of issuing race licenses. Richard Spenard is the head of the school, his students are quite well known I guess, Jacque Villeneuve, Patrick Carpentier, the late Greg Moore, to name just a few. Chris Green and Scott Hargrove who both races at the Porsche Cup series will be part of the instructors, Patrick and Jacque will also part time as guest instructors.

Porsche is also planning to scout out the track to perhaps do the Porsche Driving School there.

As for long term viability, Area 27 has over 170 members while the Island track has less than 50 and paying much more to join. Island track might not stay solvent after only a few years and the initiation fees will be flushed down the toilet.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:34 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I am a early member there, one look at the plans and it's a no-brainer to join Area 27 over the Island track.

None of my cars will get out of 3nd gear on the Island track while the Area 27 track is much bigger and longer, safer and FIA certified to host races. There are practically no run offs on the Island track, uncleared dirt mounts are basically right next to the track surface while the Area 27 track has tons of run offs to recover. The main straight is 1/2 mile long with fast entrance and fast exit so cars can really get some serious speed.

None of my cars can get on the ferry to get to the Island either, some told me their whatever did, but I am not gonna risk damaging the underbody during low tide or windy sea.

Just the stretch of Highway 3 going from Vancouver to Osoyoos is already heaven, 2 lane mountain highway with no traffic.

Ferrari is in talk to do Challenge race there, Porsche is also doing the same for Cup series. McLaren, Lamborghini is already booked for customer days within the month.

The driving school at Area 27 is also FIA certified, and is capable of issuing race licenses. Richard Spenard is the head of the school, his students are quite well known I guess, Jacque Villeneuve, Patrick Carpentier, the late Greg Moore, to name just a few. Chris Green and Scott Hargrove who both races at the Porsche Cup series will be part of the instructors, Patrick and Jacque will also part time as guest instructors.

Porsche is also planning to scout out the track to perhaps do the Porsche Driving School there.

As for long term viability, Area 27 has over 170 members while the Island track has less than 50 and paying much more to join. Island track might not stay solvent after only a few years and the initiation fees will be flushed down the toilet.
I wish both tracks do well, but really interested in Area 27. Could be another reason to keep the track car here rather than in sunny california
Old 09-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a preview of the track... Not my commentary

Last edited by Conekilr; 09-16-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:09 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a great circuit
Old 09-18-2016, 07:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

But the weather?
Old 09-18-2016, 07:51 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^It's in the Canadian desert. lol
Old 09-18-2016, 07:57 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 205 Posts

Very cool to see a new track like this being born, especially up here!

Weather in the Okanagan Valley should be as perfect as you can get in Canada for a track, aside from closing a couple months in the winter.

Since I live a long drive away I just hope that they offer track days for non-members. Too steep of a membership fee for me to drive there 1-2 days a year
Old 09-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
But the weather?
Depending on which part of Canada you're from, anything above 32F is considered summer

Old 09-18-2016, 11:51 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

When can we drive this track, I will be in the Okanagen in early October.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:49 AM
CanadaRS
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

Very biased opinion, hopefully both tracks do well, this is not a way to promote this unique occurrence of 2 new tracks in BC. Stick with the Porsche Vancouver show and shines at the Autoshow.

Have you driven both?

None of my cars can get on the ferry to get to the Island either, some told me their whatever did, but I am not gonna risk damaging the underbody during low tide or windy sea
Amazing that sounds you never tried but know the Island Track, how?

Just Smokey waiting for you

Planning maybe but they (Porsche) already have plans on the Island so far away from you

As a true driver signs a membership with both just to say thanks to individuals for investing in our passion. I am a founding member in both.

Last edited by CanadaRS; 09-19-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:24 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaRS
As a true driver signs a membership with both just to say thanks to individuals for investing in our passion. I am a founding member in both.
founding member for both!
Old 09-20-2016, 02:44 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I really hope PCA or some other group has a track day at these tracks next year.
I would love to try them both!

The island has an expansion plan which would be really cool to see come together.
Area 27 looks to be a dream track!

Membership is not crazy expensive when you break it down over 5 years, but I just dont think i would find the time to use it enough.

Perhaps just a taste of these tracks will make me reschedule things
Old 09-21-2016, 06:16 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaRS

That's funny, I know all 7 for Area 27 and not one has a gold GT2.

As for you other comments, take a step back back and look again. The island track PLANNED to expand, it's has not happened yet, and the proposed 200 acre expansion is full of trees, to cut that many to lay a track means applying for a logging license.

Funding will also be a big problem, right now members will be paying a $48,000 initiation fee to drive a lesser track than Area 27, which has cheaper initiation fees, and that fee WILL increase IF the 2nd phase expansion do indeed happened. How can the track possible attract members when a better alternative exists already.

From Vancouver, the travel time to either track will be just about the same, but to get to Area 27 one doesn't need to take the ferry and risk having other cars ding the doors or fenders in the tight ferry, and Highway 3 on the way to Area 27 is one of the best driving roads in the province.

Area 27 is also a lot closer to Alberta enthusiasts, there will be no valid reasons for them to pass over something better and closer to get to the island track.

If you really did paid $200,000 to be a 'founding member' for the island track, good luck to your money, I'd rather use that to buy myself a race car of the track, which I did with a GT4CS, leaving Germany to me next week.

Granted, the island track has it's advantage, it is much smaller with no high speed stuff, it's perfect for dealers to do demo drives for 'greenhorn' customers, except there is virtually no run offs.

Quick Reply: New track in BC