Sponsored by:

The Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles Looks Close to Being Complete

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 07:52 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles Looks Close to Being Complete

I was visiting relatives that are somewhat close to the center, so I decided to check it out. There is security (it's not as intense as it is in ATL), so I couldn't go up that close, but it looks to be pretty much done.

They have their fleet of test cars there already (visible from the freeway) and some other cars on the inside as well.

I just took one pic in front, but if you're really curious, I took a couple videos on Instagram Live (nlpamg).
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2016, 05:22 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I drive by there a couple times a week and it definitely looks ready to go! I can't wait to start hearing cars go around the track! I'll be sure to open my windows when I pass by there! Anyone knowthe open date? Or if they're going to have an Open House? I REALLY want to get a chance to get an up-close look, so if anyone has any inside info on an Open House and would like to help a hardcore enthusiast out with an invite if it's not open to everyone, please PM me!! Thanks!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

November 16 is the Grand Opening.

Private preview events are the Monday and Tuesday before, Nov 14 and 15.

LA Auto Show, beginning Nov 18, will also have special events geared towards the PEC.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:40 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

This will be a great addition to So. Cal. I hope that the opening delays are behind us.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:33 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to checking it out. Do you think we will ever have the opportunity to take our own cars on the handling circuit or will it be reserved for classes with their cars?
Old 09-22-2016, 01:13 AM
Racingutoo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
Looking forward to checking it out. Do you think we will ever have the opportunity to take our own cars on the handling circuit or will it be reserved for classes with their cars?
I heard it's pay to play strictly with their cars- hence "experience center" but who knows maybe it's not true........
Old 09-22-2016, 01:55 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The Atl center has always been a liability insurance issue but with new delivery option it seems the rules have eased up and deliveries will soon begin on experience center track and you will drive soon....seen some doing pilot deliveries at ATL already with driving experience people shotgun.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:35 AM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

anybody know what the GT Academy runs? I've had a deposit on a 991.2 GT3 down for 1+ years now and I'm sorry to say haven't actually driven one on the track yet.

GT4 is $700 and the Turbo/GT3 is $850 so can't be that much more for GT3/GT3 RS? Seems like a (relatively) inexpensive way to make sure its the right car for me
Old 09-22-2016, 07:11 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
November 16 is the Grand Opening.

Private preview events are the Monday and Tuesday before, Nov 14 and 15.

LA Auto Show, beginning Nov 18, will also have special events geared towards the PEC.
Thanks for the info! Now, how do I get into one of the Private Preview event dates?

This is a good question! When originally spoken about, I believe as a community outreach (for lack of better words), they committed to do rare, but occasional track days with outside sources such as Speed Ventures etc. That being said, a lot of projects in the Los Angeles area make all kinds of wonderful sounding altruistic promises that never EVER pan out. They make these promises to get as many people behind them in order to procure permits for building. Once the facilities are built, some how the "community" is left behind. Let's hope that's not the case here and that Porsche does allow occasional track days, whether they be through groups like Speed Ventures or PCA/POC, it sure would be great to be allowed to try out the new track without having to go through the PEC to do so! Heck, if they do allow it, it'd be a great marketing tool to get people to enroll into the PEC! Fingers crossed!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:05 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I highly doubt the PEC will open up to outside companies like SV. Not sure SV would be interested either. They are called "experience" centers for a reason, they aren't really "tracks". In fact all the instructors at Atlanta emphasized that its not a "track" but an experience center. In many places there is minimal to no run off. Pretty but not really a track.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:32 AM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by systemr
anybody know what the GT Academy runs? I've had a deposit on a 991.2 GT3 down for 1+ years now and I'm sorry to say haven't actually driven one on the track yet.

GT4 is $700 and the Turbo/GT3 is $850 so can't be that much more for GT3/GT3 RS? Seems like a (relatively) inexpensive way to make sure its the right car for me
emailed them an answered my own question:
Our newest product the "GT Academy" is one of the most exhilarating drive experiences yet. This driving experience allows participants to drive both the 911 GT3 and the 911 GT3 RS for 45 minutes each! This driving experience costs $1,000 and does require you to purchase the damage liability waiver for an additional $50.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:31 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by systemr
emailed them an answered my own question:
Our newest product the "GT Academy" is one of the most exhilarating drive experiences yet. This driving experience allows participants to drive both the 911 GT3 and the 911 GT3 RS for 45 minutes each! This driving experience costs $1,000 and does require you to purchase the damage liability waiver for an additional $50.
Seems steep - almost $700/hr to drive a car...
Old 09-22-2016, 01:38 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

That's not a bad price considering you're driving their best GT cars. For a $1000 you can compare the two in track situations and if in the market decide which you prefer. You can't test drive either of these cars at a dealership.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:59 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
That's not a bad price considering you're driving their best GT cars. For a $1000 you can compare the two in track situations and if in the market decide which you prefer. You can't test drive either of these cars at a dealership.
Let's go for a GT3 first adopters reunion! Now that would be fun Nick....no sport coats, I promise!
Old 09-23-2016, 02:13 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Very cool to have just found this thread. Earlier today a good buddy sent me an email with photos from his good buddy, who is the new chief instructor at the LA PEC and it wasn't an hour ago that I sent him an email asking when it would open, as I will be in LA for a week in mid Oct. Now I know and it looks like I'm a month early. Next time, I hope.

I visited the PEC in ATL a year ago and found it fun. The "track" reminds me of a compromise between a real track and a fancy go-kart track, being closer to a real track, but not quite. Very little run off and real guard rails around, as it's a fairly confined space. Cool for what it is.

Quick Reply: The Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles Looks Close to Being Complete