Sponsored by:

Cracked brake caliper piston...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 03:28 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Question for RB or anyone that's familiar with their replacement piston kit for OEM. The RB website and pictures posted here show a hi temp silicone based dust cover (I'm assuming) that's an option with their kit. The website page warns that these parts should not come in contact with brake fluid or they will be damaged. I'm ignorant when it comes to rebuilding calipers but my first thoughts after reading that: is that realistic from an install standpoint and what happens if one of your pistons starts leaking fluid. I would think that any parts in the system would be (should be) resistant to brake fluid?
Standard (Black) boots are made of EPDM and is compatible with (resistant to) brake fluid. High temp (Blue) boots is made of Silicon and is NOT compatible with brake fluid.

These are the possible reasons to cause damage to "Blue boots"

1. Use brake fluid as "lubricant" during installation. (This is a No No and should be absolutely avoided)
2. When there is a oil leakage.

So here is what we suggest:
  • If you never experience burnt out boots, stay with standard boots.
  • If you constantly toasted your boots, replace them with blue boots (see caution note #1 above), those blue boots can protect your seal and prolong their service life.
  • If you have oil leak it tells you time to replace the seal & boots together. Its' not a good practice to replace only the seal w/o boots as some boots bellow might have already cracked but just not visible which has caused the seal to fail.
And of course the best practice is to do routine maintenance/replacement to keep your calipers always in top shape - It pays...
Old 05-01-2019, 05:54 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Standard (Black) boots are made of EPDM and is compatible with (resistant to) brake fluid. High temp (Blue) boots is made of Silicon and is NOT compatible with brake fluid.

These are the possible reasons to cause damage to "Blue boots"

1. Use brake fluid as "lubricant" during installation. (This is a No No and should be absolutely avoided)
2. When there is a oil leakage.

So here is what we suggest:
  • If you never experience burnt out boots, stay with standard boots.
  • If you constantly toasted your boots, replace them with blue boots (see caution note #1 above), those blue boots can protect your seal and prolong their service life.
  • If you have oil leak it tells you time to replace the seal & boots together. Its' not a good practice to replace only the seal w/o boots as some boots bellow might have already cracked but just not visible which has caused the seal to fail.
And of course the best practice is to do routine maintenance/replacement to keep your calipers always in top shape - It pays...
Got it, thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone cooking their OEM boots so it sounds like your basic package would work fine for my purposes. I'm curious if there is a DIY thread out there for piston replacement so I can get a better sense of what's involved.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:16 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I just installed the RB steel pistons with the standard dust seals in my 6GT3 front calipers. I've been on track twice since the switch and have not been able to detect any difference. I certainly had a firm pedal and see no leaks. I would not hesitate to use them again.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:51 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

If you like the result of rebuilding Porsche calipers with RB components you might want to consider replacing OE to RB calipers:
  1. Calipers are designed to have the same offset as OE for a direct bolt on installation.
  2. Caliper pistons are differential (vs. OE equal dia.) to reduce pad taper wear.
  3. Caliper body are made of forged aluminum alloy for ultimate strength and stiffness.
  4. Dust seals are of internal style (like Ferrari F430 Scuderia), so you will never have to worry on cracked/toasted boots.
  5. Open top (vs. OE close top) for easy brake pad check and replacement (w/o having to remove the caliper like OE)
  6. Brake pads (D1395) are same as those popular super muscle cars; Corvette ZR1, Camaro Z28, ZL1 (G6), Dodge Hellcat, Jeep Trackhawk, Mustang GT350, Ferrari F430/F458, assuring you a wide variety of compound choice at lower cost.
  7. Better (simple) design and construction with proven result.

Front Caliper:
Front and Rear Caliper:
Old 05-29-2019, 07:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

^^^ do these play well with stock Porsche Master Cylinder and Porsche ABS? I've read yes and no but dont know myself. I would think you will say yes zero issues but really wondering out loud here.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Good question.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:36 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

What's a thin wall cut piston and its benefit? This posting is a result of inquiry from an tuning shop rebuilding rebuilding S5 (2018+) front 6 pot caliper.

6 pot pistons (Dia x Ht):
30x31; 36.4x31; 38x31

Thin wall cut (RB pistons)

RB (Brembo Caliper Compatible) 30x32mm (Stainless Steel)

OE (Audi S5 B9/Akebono) 30x31mm (Stainless Steel) - Straight Wall (Drilled)

Old 11-25-2019, 12:13 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

I like the engineering and just ordered a 991.2 GT3 front caliper piston build set with blue high temp seals. I look forward to receiving my first Racing Brake purchase.
Probably overkill for my street usage but I'm having the calipers powder coated black and everything must come out anyway so it is an opportunity.
For long term ownership, I'm a fan of overkill

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
What's a thin wall cut piston and its benefit? This posting is a result of inquiry from an tuning shop rebuilding rebuilding S5 (2018+) front 6 pot caliper.

6 pot pistons (Dia x Ht):
30x31; 36.4x31; 38x31

Thin wall cut (RB pistons)

RB (Brembo Caliper Compatible) 30x32mm (Stainless Steel)

OE (Audi S5 B9/Akebono) 30x31mm (Stainless Steel) - Straight Wall (Drilled)

Last edited by Perimeter; 11-25-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: "Moderation is for cowards" - Lone Survivor

Quick Reply: Cracked brake caliper piston...