Sponsored by:

Cracked brake caliper piston...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:32 PM
AutoquestMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joejenie
If it's been a problem for almost 20 years, why hasn't Porsche just replaced them with the titanium ones above? Raise the price $1k! Not like you will notice.
Prior to 991 gen cars, the ceramic pucks were a "floating" style. Although there were a good number of failures just from track use, the majority of pucks that broke tended to be from falling on the ground during a brake service. It was very frustrating to technicians because most didn't know there were floating puck replacement kits available via Porsche Motorsport but not the dealer, so they'd end up replacing whole calipers when it happened. The design then changed to a screwed in piston like we have on the current calipers, to prevent the issue of them falling out and breaking during service. Unfortunately, the lack of puck movement associated with the screwed vs floating design compounded the track derived issues, making the screwed pucks much more susceptible to deterioration after heat cycling and pad taper. Our titanium pucks resolve this issue on the 991 gen calipers, and with luck the next generation cars will have another revision to help resolve the issue. Photos below of the floating vs screwed style pucks.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm dreading addressing this issue, but I know I've got to do it.

Vented, stainless steel pistons would also solve the issue. It pains me to say this, because I don't care for any of their other products, but Racing Brake's SS pistons for caliper rebuilds are a solid upgrade and fall somewhere in between the Ti inserts and full AP caliper upgrades.

Lots of 987 guys use them for caliper rebuilds for heavy track use or race cars using the stock calipers.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:59 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I pushed and complained, got one front and one rear calipers under “Goodwill”.
This was along with a $11K service bill at 24000 miles, 12000 track.

After one track day, the new caliper 2 pucks were cracked.

BTW the 2 old calipers were much darker then the new ones, so when I permanently fixed the problem with Autoquest Ti pistons I painted all 4 calipers..

i should have skipped the goodwill step alltogether.
you should have....mine were replaced 2 years ago, cracked at 1st event, Autoquest took my old piston measurements and fabricated the Titanium pucks that they now offer as a kit, Never had an issue since.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
I'm dreading addressing this issue, but I know I've got to do it.

Vented, stainless steel pistons would also solve the issue. It pains me to say this, because I don't care for any of their other products, but Racing Brake's SS pistons for caliper rebuilds are a solid upgrade and fall somewhere in between the Ti inserts and full AP caliper upgrades.

Lots of 987 guys use them for caliper rebuilds for heavy track use or race cars using the stock calipers.
I did RB pistons and seals over 6 months ago and all good so far. Feels the same as OEM, no leaks or other issues. Also, a fairly inexpensive upgrade with parts and labor.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (11-27-2019)
Old 06-19-2018, 01:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
you should have....mine were replaced 2 years ago, cracked at 1st event, Autoquest took my old piston measurements and fabricated the Titanium pucks that they now offer as a kit, Never had an issue since.
Live and learn....
Old 06-20-2018, 11:27 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Greatly appreciated Mo! : )
Old 06-27-2018, 04:20 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you don't disagree that less component is better, RB's stainless steel pistons s/b an alternative for your OE piston replacement. Combine with our high temperature dust boots which help to shield the heat as well as brake dust from deteriorating the piston/seal due to fragile OE boots that quickly burnt out in just a few laps and left un-replaced.

Join hundreds of Porsche track & pro racers and rebuild/upgrade OE calipers with RB components, eliminating those redundant OE/aftermarket components and keep your calipers at peak performance with optimal braking efficiency.

The most comprehensive and reliable Porsche calipers rebuilding resource.
https://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7185.htm
Attached Images    
Old 06-27-2018, 06:35 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Replace OE calipers with RB track duty calipers like Nissan GTR and Mustang GT350 serious track racers did.
https://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7548.htm

1. 100% interchangeable with OE calipers and fully compatible to OE upright for a 100% bolt on installation, no modification. (For 410/390mm pccb)
2. Caliper pistons are properly sized to have the same proportion as OE but are staggered (unlike OE @same diameter) to minimize pad taper wear.
3. Uses the same brake pads as Corvette ZL1 / Camaro Z28 CCM brakes, so a lot of choice on compounds at lower cost than Porsche dealers.
4. Calipers can take either pccb or iron conversion.
5. Calipers are made with internal dust seals (same as Brrembo built for Ferrari F430 Scuderia), so no dust boots to expose/damage.
6. Calipers have open top. Never need to remove the caliper for pad change, can monitor pad wear easily, and pad replacement is an easy and simple step.
7. Highly cost effective than other alternative yet still retain stock set up.
8. Guarantee to outperform OE calipers in braking performance and durability or your money back.
Attached Images    
Old 04-29-2019, 03:16 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I did RB pistons and seals over 6 months ago and all good so far. Feels the same as OEM, no leaks or other issues. Also, a fairly inexpensive upgrade with parts and labor.
How are these holding up?
Old 04-29-2019, 09:19 PM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I bet that made some noise!

Originally Posted by FerchoPorsche
BTW, this is how they look on the front (passenger) side.

Inner side of the passenger front caliper (the outer side looks same, but harder to photograph)
Old 04-30-2019, 05:15 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 04-30-2019, 08:57 AM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting read
Old 04-30-2019, 09:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Anyone who tracks the car should just put in the Ti pucks and be done with it.
I will see how the new .2 GT3RS holds up, I'm on my 4th set of front pads, haven't heard yet about cracks, but will verify.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:59 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Interesting read, for sure. Titanium pucks vs RB stainless pistons... A full front/rear RB kit with new seals/boots and pistons is cheaper than just the pucks from Autoquest. So I'm wondering if anybody more knowledgable than me knows the pros/cons of each?

And if you wait until the OEM ceramic pucks crack, can you just change them to titanium or replace with RB pistons or do you need to replace the entire caliper? Or do people have to get caliper replaced under warranty ONLY because Porsche doesn't provide the ceramic pucks individually?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Interesting read, for sure. Titanium pucks vs RB stainless pistons... A full front/rear RB kit with new seals/boots and pistons is cheaper than just the pucks from Autoquest. So I'm wondering if anybody more knowledgable than me knows the pros/cons of each?

And if you wait until the OEM ceramic pucks crack, can you just change them to titanium or replace with RB pistons or do you need to replace the entire caliper? Or do people have to get caliper replaced under warranty ONLY because Porsche doesn't provide the ceramic pucks individually?
The hollow stainless piston has about the same thermal resistance as the titanium puck plus stock aluminum piston. The stainless piston will expand at a different rate than the aluminum caliper which does create a greater leakage risk past the piston seals (a main advantage of the stock aluminum pistons, which then required a thermal spacer to reduce heat conduction into the fluid through the highly conductive aluminum).

IMO the titanium pistons would be a no-brainer IF they could be installed without removing the caliper and disassembling the pistons and they were more reasonably priced. But since they require full disassembly to hold the aluminum piston while removing the center bolt holding the puck in place, R&R labor is actually higher for the pucks than the full stainless pistons.

Tough call.

Quick Reply: Cracked brake caliper piston...