Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about 991 GT3 front brake pads and discs

Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 AM
GT3-Swede
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about 991 GT3 front brake pads and discs

Hello! I have some questions about front brake pads and front brake discs (steel) on my 2015 991 GT3 (6000 km/3700 miles).

1. Which front brake pads (budget) should I buy and use on my half-worn front brake discs? I´m going to drive a lot of track days, so the brake pads must withstand tough track day use.

2. The front brake discs are half-worn (about 50 % remaining, with hints of small cracks of about 2-4 mm), so I´m not going to change them now. But when the time comes to replace the front brake discs, which brake discs should I switch to then? I have heard that 2-piece discs (replaceable discs, and keeping the hat) are a great economical option in the long run with equally as good performance as the OEM brake discs, is that correct? Does anyone have experience with 2-piece discs and can recommend any brand?

3. At the same time as I replace the front brake discs, my idea is to also replace the front brake pads to some good ones. I have heard that Endless EIP 240 is one of the best. Is that correct or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:02 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

AP Racing 2-piece discs and Ferodo DS1.11 pads have become a great 'go-to' solution for many GT3 owners around the world. Most of our customers are seeing great wear rates out of both the discs and pads, with far longer wear than the OEM components.

Discs

AP Racing Heavy Duty J Hook Two-piece Endurance Racing Discs for Porsche 991 GT3 (FRONT PAIR)

AP Racing Heavy Duty J Hook Two-piece Endurance Racing Discs for Porsche 991 GT3 (Rear PAIR)

Despite offering superior performance, the discs are fairly inexpensive to run long-term compared to other options, particularly spares. Spare iron rings are only $399 per iron ring, and $30 for attachment hardware.

The AP Racing discs last a long time, are less crack-prone vs. the drilled OEM discs, flow more air and run considerably cooler than OEM discs, and work well with a variety of pads.

Ferodo DS1.11 Pads

The DS1.11 is a great endurance pad that is easy on discs, feels great under the foot, and lasts a long time. They aren't the cheapest on the market, but not the most expensive either. Since they last so long, they offer a great value for the price. They're easy to bed-in on the discs, and they almost never have any judder or vibration issues. They also don't wear discs down quickly like some of the more abrasive pads on the market.

Front Ferodo DS1.11

Rear Ferodo DS1.11

Hopefully more of our customers will chime in with comments about our products.

There are other options available, but I believe the above combination offers the greatest all-around performance and value.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about the product, or where to purchase them. Thank you.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 08-24-2016, 12:39 PM
lstoker
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interested in this information as well. As a new GT3 owner I'm facing some of the same decisions, and looking for a street worthy solution!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Imo, ferodo ds1.11 and AP rotors are the best combo available right now. The life span of the AP rotors is incredible with this combo and the pads work very well. I've never heard of anyone that was disappointed
Old 08-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Joe,
Thanks for your vote of confidence in the products we sell.
AP rotors for 991 GT3
http://www.apexperformance.net/AP-Po...-34_p_203.html
http://www.apexperformance.net/AP-Po...EAR_p_630.html
Ferodo DS1.11 pads for GT3 and GT4
http://www.apexperformance.net/FCP-4...S111_p_96.html
http://www.apexperformance.net/FCP-4...S111_p_97.html

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 06-07-2018, 11:58 AM
gimp2x
Rennlist Member

do you have a spec sheet on the Ferodo DS1.11 pads?
Old 06-07-2018, 12:06 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gimp2x
do you have a spec sheet on the Ferodo DS1.11 pads?
Lots more info here:
https://www.essexparts.com/brake-pads/ferodo-brake-pads

Please keep in mind that comparing specs, dyno plots, etc. across pad manufacturers is a fairly fruitless endeavor. Comparing mu and dyno plots across pad brands is comparable to comparing engine dyno runs from a Dynojet vs. a Mustang Dyno. Data collection techniques vary, as do the machines themselves. As such, the only valuable info is to compare these charts within a particular brand. For example, you can see on a Ferodo mu chart that the Ferodo DSUNO has a slightly higher coeffcient of friction as it heats up vs. the Ferodo DS1.11. That is a valid conclusion.

You can't however gain much valuable insight by taking a mu vs. temperature plot from PFC and comparing it to one from Pagid. It's an apples to oranges comparison with too many variables.

Hopefully that makes sense!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:09 PM
gimp2x
Rennlist Member

Jeff, it does make sense- I would expect someone selling a drop in replacement pad for an OEM caliper to have comparison data for their product versus OEM on the same machine. Have you guys considered doing that?

For the street I am looking for a pad with more initial bite than OEM, not concerned with endurance or component life
Old 06-07-2018, 12:22 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gimp2x
Jeff, it does make sense- I would expect someone selling a drop in replacement pad for an OEM caliper to have comparison data for their product versus OEM on the same machine. Have you guys considered doing that?

For the street I am looking for a pad with more initial bite than OEM, not concerned with endurance or component life
We've considered doing that, but it is not a simple affair. Ferodo offers high performance and/or racing pads for something like 1,000 vehicles. The number of dyno simulations required for comparative data would be absolutely staggering. Even if you narrow it down to the specific applications that essex services, we'd be looking at several hundred. We don't have that type of capacity on our dyno. It hums along just about every day, but it is usually surrounded by race engineers from IndyCar, NASCAR, IMSA, etc. running simulations. We'd love to have a library of all compounds from all cars, but it's just not feasible.

If you're not going to track them, the Ferodo DS2500 is a great option. I run them in most of my personal cars. They have nice cold bite, can handle a good back road thrashing, and are even passable as a track pad on some applications. They do have a moderate level of dust, and on some applications they let out a tiny squeak at the final roll up to a stop. I haven't driven them back-to-back on a GT3, so I unfortunately can't give you a firm, "Yes these have more bite than the OEM pads." We do have a very large user base of happy owners with the DS2500, and that's across a very broad spectrum of platforms- BMW, Corvette, Mustang, Porsche, BRZ, Evo, STI, S2000...all the usual sports suspects. They are a very popular AutoX pad, which should tell you something about their performance cold.

Hopefully that is helpful!
Old 06-07-2018, 04:42 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3-Swede
Hello! I have some questions about front brake pads and front brake discs (steel) on my 2015 991 GT3 (6000 km/3700 miles).

1. Which front brake pads (budget) should I buy and use on my half-worn front brake discs? I´m going to drive a lot of track days, so the brake pads must withstand tough track day use.

2. The front brake discs are half-worn (about 50 % remaining, with hints of small cracks of about 2-4 mm), so I´m not going to change them now. But when the time comes to replace the front brake discs, which brake discs should I switch to then? I have heard that 2-piece discs (replaceable discs, and keeping the hat) are a great economical option in the long run with equally as good performance as the OEM brake discs, is that correct? Does anyone have experience with 2-piece discs and can recommend any brand?

3. At the same time as I replace the front brake discs, my idea is to also replace the front brake pads to some good ones. I have heard that Endless EIP 240 is one of the best. Is that correct or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
My answers.
1. I'am only uses Endless brake pads, ME20 compound. You can also use ME22 Compund to save the brake disc a little but you will loose the initial bite. The Endless size for 991 GT3 (both mk1 and mk2) is EIP240 and EIP 241-
2. For me, I only uses original brake discs.
3. Go for Endless, change at the same time the brake lines to steel and switch brake fluid to Endless 650.

Skicka PM om du vill ha mer info
Old 06-07-2018, 05:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

I went more expensive route with ceramic rotors but before that it was pretty economical to run Race Technologies RE10 and OEM rotors.

There are some other Swede's on Rennlist running the same setup.
I got about:
10 days on pads Front, 16 Rear
20 days front rotors, 60 rear.
At Sebring, running decent lap times in GT3RS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about 991 GT3 front brake pads and discs