Sponsored by:

What exactly does the term over rev mean

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:17 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What exactly does the term over rev mean

I'm sure I will get flamed for this but what exactly does term over rev mean in the various ranges. I assumed it meant the number of times you are "bumping" against the rev limiter.
I had a Durametric but once I converted over to a Cobb tune, I sold the Durametric. Does anyone know if the Cobb Accessport is capable of reading the over rev information on a vehicle.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:39 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not applicable to PDK-S GT3/RS cause the transmission will not let you shift from a higher gear to a lower gear if the lower gear exceeds redline.

This can happen with manual transmissions (also called a money shift...as in, it will cost you a bunch of money)

It is also possible to bounce it off the redline on upshifts and cause a few low range overrevs.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:46 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+over+rev+mean&l=1
Old 08-18-2016, 12:54 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

That's friggin' hilarious.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:51 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lmao
Old 08-18-2016, 11:31 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
this is incorrect, it is possible going down a hill and not shifting up a gear. the weight of the car and momentum will bring the revs over redline and over where the fuel is cut during accelerations to prevent this, so, although not as common as a money shift it can and has happened.
Technically, nothing I said was incorrect...you just added a possible scenario where over revs might occur.

Has anyone actually seen this happen? I would have thought that this would be highly unlikely at best...It would have to be a very steep hill because as soon as you lift of the gas, engine compression will slow the car down in the lower gears...I suppose in an overdrive gear there would not be any engine braking, but given the gearing, you would be doing 300km/hr. Furthermore, if it did exceed redline, I would expect that it would be just a few overrevs in range 1 and nothing to worry about...

But I am no engineer and I am sure someone can elaborate...

Quick Reply: What exactly does the term over rev mean