Sponsored by:

High oil consumption on my GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 04:25 PM
MC90
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High oil consumption on my GT3 RS

In the last couple of months my GT3 RS have started using about 1 to 1,2 liters of oil per 1000 km. So around 1 and 1/4 quarts per 621 miles for you Americans

Before that it hardly used any oil at all, expect for on track days. And it used quite a bit of oil during the run in period. My RS now has 26.000 km on it, and the problem started just before I hit 20.000 km. Since then i have put about 7 liters of oil in it. In that period I haven't driven the car extremely hard, mostly driving around Europe on roads with way to many tourists on them. So when driving really hard on the road or on track, I would suspect the oil consumption to be even higher!

So I decided to take the car to a Porsche Dealer. Since I'm in Spain at the moment I took it to a local dealer here. They measured the oil consumption to just above one liter per 1000 km. They said that was totally normal. Tried explaining that it had suddenly started using oil, but they just said that it was normal for cars to start using oil when they had some miles on them.

So contacted my local Porsche Dealer and they contacted the dealer in Spain. After my local dealer had spoken to the dealer in Spain, they got back to me and said that I had to expect that kind of oil consumption.

I have had cars before using oil, but what I think is weird is that it suddenly went from using basically nothing to quite a lot.

So what do you guys think? Is this normal and something I just have to live with, or is it something wrong with the car that should be fixed? Tried searching the forum for others with the same problem, but couldn't find anything. So high oil consumption on the GT3 RS doesn't seem to be a common issue.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:44 PM
MBDark
Advanced

I was very careful during my break-in period on the *cough three* motors on my GT3, and it never used oil, same thing now with my RS, under 4k rpm until 1,000 miles. I am up to 3,600 miles now on the RS and still no oil usage. I have the opposite problem, I always seem to get the over fill warning.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:22 PM
SuperDarius
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Same here,i made a careful brake-in too,the one that was here around at the RS release,and all goes fine.
I'm at 7800kms and i never added oil...from 0kms till now.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Minimal break in time for me, it used about 200cc per track initially but it has become less and less.
The last 1000 miles over 3 months it didn't use any without track days.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Tre
Racer

Originally Posted by MBDark
I was very careful during my break-in period on the *cough three* motors on my GT3, and it never used oil, same thing now with my RS, under 4k rpm until 1,000 miles. I am up to 3,600 miles now on the RS and still no oil usage. I have the opposite problem, I always seem to get the over fill warning.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. My break-in was pretty strict until around 800 miles. Ironically I'd never know if I was low on oil as my car ALWAYS gets the overfill warning which started very shortly after my first oil change at the dealership
Old 08-07-2016, 08:22 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MC90
In the last couple of months my GT3 RS have started using about 1 to 1,2 liters of oil per 1000 km. So around 1 and 1/4 quarts per 621 miles for you Americans

Before that it hardly used any oil at all, expect for on track days. And it used quite a bit of oil during the run in period. My RS now has 26.000 km on it, and the problem started just before I hit 20.000 km. Since then i have put about 7 liters of oil in it. In that period I haven't driven the car extremely hard, mostly driving around Europe on roads with way to many tourists on them. So when driving really hard on the road or on track, I would suspect the oil consumption to be even higher!

So I decided to take the car to a Porsche Dealer. Since I'm in Spain at the moment I took it to a local dealer here. They measured the oil consumption to just above one liter per 1000 km. They said that was totally normal. Tried explaining that it had suddenly started using oil, but they just said that it was normal for cars to start using oil when they had some miles on them.

So contacted my local Porsche Dealer and they contacted the dealer in Spain. After my local dealer had spoken to the dealer in Spain, they got back to me and said that I had to expect that kind of oil consumption.

I have had cars before using oil, but what I think is weird is that it suddenly went from using basically nothing to quite a lot.

So what do you guys think? Is this normal and something I just have to live with, or is it something wrong with the car that should be fixed? Tried searching the forum for others with the same problem, but couldn't find anything. So high oil consumption on the GT3 RS doesn't seem to be a common issue.
my opinion -- NOT normal... get it checked out
Old 08-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Another RLer here (I think PMARKOW) had the same issue from new. Maybe he can chime in on what the issue was...
Old 08-07-2016, 09:29 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

What's the proper oil level on these cars?
Old 08-07-2016, 09:40 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

That sure sounds like a lot of oil. I have 8,500 miles on my GT3 and I rarely add oil between changes. It doesn't sound like your local dealer is going to be much help. The good news is that if there is something wrong just keep driving it. You will find out soon enough.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:04 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I was at the dealer yesterday where they were pdi-ing a new rs. During the test drive, the low oil message-pull over immediately kept coming on. When we got back he checked the level and it was actually a half quart OVERFULL. Tech said that the cars come in overfull often. And strangely, the sensor/message can say low oil when it's actually overfull, and vice versa...fwiw But I wouldnt want an actual dipstick dde44
Old 08-07-2016, 11:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,739 Likes on 4,765 Posts

That rate of consumption does not seem right.

If that keeps up, you'd never actually have to do an oil change. Just swap out the filter for a new one. I guess that's looking on the bright side of things.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:33 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by lumber
I was at the dealer yesterday where they were pdi-ing a new rs. During the test drive, the low oil message-pull over immediately kept coming on. When we got back he checked the level and it was actually a half quart OVERFULL. Tech said that the cars come in overfull often. And strangely, the sensor/message can say low oil when it's actually overfull, and vice versa...fwiw But I wouldnt want an actual dipstick dde44
Odd, mine was delivered on the last bar. Had to add half a liter, which I bought at their dealer right across from the factory, lol
Old 08-08-2016, 01:15 AM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting. We drove out of the factory and had low oil warning illuminated on the dash after hard decel on the freeway only 100 km on the dash.

Exited the autobahn and found a level spot to measure the oil. Full. Did the rest of the trip no problem.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:42 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i wonder whether this has something to do with the 991/981 oil level sensor apparatus being faulty and cranky... even when working it properly seems very finicky, often not giving readings... my trusted dealer tech tells me they are major pita in the shop... they may well be out of calibration on new cars... i speculate that this 'new improved system' may be quite problematic on a good percentage of cars

Quick Reply: High oil consumption on my GT3 RS