Sponsored by:

garage car lifts

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 05:33 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by alevine

He did comment that BendPak has a program for $500-$700 that they will hand pack each piece to make sure it is delivered scratch free. I told him that is the dumbest thing someone has said to me in quite some time.
I had to deal with Bendpak directly and I assure you that’s not the dumbest thing, if you speak to them directly it will be even worse. It was unbelievable.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Porsches
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a BendPak HD-7W installed today. I was at work and not present for the install. I rushed home quickly after work to look at my new toy and boy am I disappointed with my unit. There are nicks and scratches all over! Rust has formed in many places already and supposedly this thing is brand new, although it does list a date of manufacture of January 2018. I paid for a brand new unit but candidly I'm not certain this wasn't sitting in a warehouse for 16 months and moved around a lot or if this is typical of BendPak quality? Needless to say I am not happy. I sent an email this evening to the company I purchased the unit from advising them of my displeasure. No response yet from them but glad I charged this to a credit card. Is this typical BendPak quality? If so, I will look at other brands as it's not acceptable to me. Thoughts?
My Bendpak unit has a TON of acre scratches, nicks and scrapes and it was shipped that way as I was the receiver off the truck at the warehouse. It’s a mess. Their shipping quality is terrible. I have yet to install it all but when I do I will share the photos.

edit: Siri was terrible and finger edits made it worse

Last edited by Porsches; 06-04-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:09 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Old 05-12-2019, 07:12 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for the responses and insight everyone! I was not present for the install. Unfortunately I was booked with meetings and I was unable to be present. I spoke to the installer yesterday and he too agreed the condition was unacceptable. Not sure why he continued with the install when he noticed the defects! Oh well, it's his labor cost and not mine.

My installer is a BendPak dealer as they sell a lot of them here in Chicago. He did comment that BendPak has a program for $500-$700 that they will hand pack each piece to make sure it is delivered scratch free. I told him that is the dumbest thing someone has said to me in quite some time. So you're telling me if I don't pay an extra $500-$700 I should expect a scratched and dinged up product? What? Anyways, he is going to contact his rep at BendPak tomorrow to work on a replacement. Worse case is I purchase another brand that does a better job packing their goods. I paid a lot of money for a new lift. I want one that is defect free! Pretty simple ask.
I have never heard anything as stupid as this before

Originally Posted by Porsches
My Bendpak unit has a TON of acre arches nicks and scrapes and it was shipped that way as I was the receiver off the truck at the warehouse. It’s a mess. Their shipping g quality is terrible. I have yet to ubcrate it all but when I do I will share the photos.
Please share the photos. Are they cutting corners on how they are packaging/shipping the lifts?
Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 118.25" garage ceiling clearance in our new house. I had the builder install ceiling hugging doors and Jack Shaft 8900 wall mounted openers. My lower car is 55-56" H. BendPak's spec sheet indicates I can lower the ramp to 58.1" for the lower car. Add 5" for the height of the ramps and 50-51" for my .2 GT3 (sitting on top) ending at 114" rounding up each car's height. I added 2" for the ramps to lift off the locks which gets me to 116". Can any BendPak HD9 owner's advise if they think I am missing something? BendPak now apparently offers an adjustable limit switch (add on accessory) which stops the ramps at the pre-set limit.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:48 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I have 118.25" garage ceiling clearance in our new house. I had the builder install ceiling hugging doors and Jack Shaft 8900 wall mounted openers. My lower car is 55-56" H. BendPak's spec sheet indicates I can lower the ramp to 58.1" for the lower car. Add 5" for the height of the ramps and 50-51" for my .2 GT3 (sitting on top) ending at 114" rounding up each car's height. I added 2" for the ramps to lift off the locks which gets me to 116". Can any BendPak HD9 owner's advise if they think I am missing something? BendPak now apparently offers an adjustable limit switch (add on accessory) which stops the ramps at the pre-set limit.
Your calcs look right to me (58.1" drive under and 63.1" ramp height). I'd agree that ~2" up to release the lock is also about right.

What is the 118.25" measurement to? The ceiling or the max clearance when the garage door is up? If the ceiling just triple check because obviously you have only ~2" margin built in on releasing the locks. If the garage door (when up) then you can always lower the door to release the locks then put the door back up when you're lowering the car.

I measured soo many times and was still nervous. But it worked brilliantly.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:07 AM
911dev
Drifting

^ ILLCOMM, that's to the ceiling. I believe the door is close enough to the ceiling to provide enough room for the GT3 wing, but do need to confirm that of course. Like you I've measured over 10 times already. Measure twice, cut once as they say. Here it's measure 20 times and order once.

Did you find you were able to lower the drive on ramps to 58.1"? I believe the range 58.,1" - 59"; iircc.

Thanks so much for the assistance!

Your garage looks great. Nice stable.

Last edited by 911dev; 05-13-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:11 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Originally Posted by 911dev
^ ILLCOMM, that's to the ceiling. I believe the door is close enough to the ceiling to provide enough room for the GT3 wing, but do need to confirm that of course. Like you I've measured over 10 times already. Measure twice, cut once as they say. Here it's measure 20 times and order once.

Did you find you were able to lower the drive on ramps to 58.1"? I believe the range 58.,1" - 59"; iircc.

Thanks so much for the assistance!

Your garage looks great. Nice stable.
I have mine a couple locks higher than 58.1 but I will lower it to that lock today and measure. When replying to your post last night I went out and eye-balled it with a tape measure and it looked pretty damn spot on 58.1. But will check for sure at some point today.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Tried my best to take some photos. I lowered the lift (HD-9) to what I think is the lock you want to use. I measured, as the pictures show, just under 59" drive under, and just under 64" ramp height while resting on the lock.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:30 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
Tried my best to take some photos. I lowered the lift (HD-9) to what I think is the lock you want to use. I measured, as the pictures show, just under 59" drive under, and just under 64" ramp height while resting on the lock.

Hope this helps.

Helps a lot, tnx! This gets me to just under 115", add 2" to get off locks and I have 1.25+" to spare. If I can get the drive on ramps closer to 58.1" all the better. Hopefully the GT3 is 50" high which would give me another inch. Talk about a close fit.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
I have never heard anything as stupid as this before

Please share the photos. Are they cutting corners on how they are packaging/shipping the lifts?

Agreed. I'd like to see some pics too to compare the scrapes and scratches were on the unit I have sitting in my garage.

That said, anyone know if Challenger lifts have the same problem or do those generally arrive blemish free?
Old 05-13-2019, 05:26 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
I had to deal with Bendpak directly and I assure you that’s not the dumbest thing, if you speak to them directly it will be even worse. It was unbelievable.
Great. This is encouraging.

I am thinking of ditching the BendPak all together and buying a Challenger lift instead.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:47 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Great. This is encouraging.

I am thinking of ditching the BendPak all together and buying a Challenger lift instead.
I went with the Challenger instead of the Bendpak because the dealer talked me into it (he is a dealer for both). Mainly due to not needing an Air compressor to lower the lift. They are very similar in price (I think the Challenger was around $200-300 more). I'm very happy with the Challenger and would buy it again (actually plan on buying 2 more at some point as needed).
Old 06-02-2019, 09:59 AM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Anyone have a recommendations of a firm or contractor that could install a lift, deal with re-doing the garage rails and some garage make-over work near the North Shore of Chicago?
Old 06-02-2019, 12:07 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abokor
Anyone have a recommendations of a firm or contractor that could install a lift, deal with re-doing the garage rails and some garage make-over work near the North Shore of Chicago?
I live in Riverwoods. I just had Garage Store install epoxy floor and a BendPak lift last week. Everything came out great. The owners name is JIm. PM for more info.

Adam

Quick Reply: garage car lifts