Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage car lifts

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:35 AM
MBR993
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

About ready to buy my lift. Plan to store my 993 Cab. on top and park my daily driver 991 C4S below. After too much research and discussion (according to my wife). I am favoring the Challenger lifts but haven't decided which branded version of the 7000lb lift to buy. All three of these are the same lift manufactured by Challenger but sold by three different companies. I will buy a 7000lb lift primarily due to size constraints in my garage (I need something <165" long to avoid encroaching on my workbench area and <110" wide to avoid encroaching on my wife's side of the garage). I am not interested in Bendpak due to the need for air lock release and limited space in my garage for the air compressor. I realize that although Backyard Buddy is a really nice lift, it is overpriced and really does not add enough benefit for the price. I also learned that everyone that reviews their lift or posts about the lift they put in their garage loves the one they bought and thinks it is the best.

Challenger CL4P7: http://www.challengerlifts.com/products/cl4p9x/
AC Lifts Voyager ACV7: https://aclifts.com/lifts/voyager-4-post-car-lift/
Quality Lifts Q4P07: http://www.qualitylifts.com/Q4P07.shtml

Having the garage track lift kit and wall mount garage door opener installed next week and then will order the car lift. Hope to be stacking my cars in a few weeks!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 AM
joejenie
Three Wheelin'

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by MBR993
Which Challenger did you buy? 7000lb or 9000lb? I am looking at the CL4P7
I bought the 7000 lbs one. All the sports cars I would be interested in putting on it weigh 3k-5k pounds. So 7k is plenty. Good luck! Still happy with the lift. I use it 1-2 times a week to take my 993 out.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:06 AM
MBR993
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
I bought the 7000 lbs one. All the sports cars I would be interested in putting on it weigh 3k-5k pounds. So 7k is plenty. Good luck! Still happy with the lift. I use it 1-2 times a week to take my 993 out.
Thanks. Same one I am looking at
Old 01-16-2019, 07:57 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Question - I have a nearly one year old lift in my garage at the track. It got used rarely - maybe a dozen times this past year because I wasn't storing an extra car down there.

How often are you guys changing the hydraulic fluid? Is that an annual thing or less frequent based on usage?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

I’m looking at the 9k lb one since I need additioinal height to fit my Cayenne underneath. Does everyone have positive experience with Challenger?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:18 AM
Niez66
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts
Default 👍🏻 Quality Lift

I’ve had my lift for 5+ years and not one single issue with it. I also bought the rolling center jack lift, order one with confidence.

fel free to pm me if you have specific questions, I’d even shoot you my phon number if you wanna ask some questions.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:21 AM
steelesm
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a Challenger 4 post lift about 3 weeks ago. Called the local lift company and they talked me into the Challenger (I was asking for Bendpak). Works great and doesn't need an air compressor like the Bendpak. Like discussed earlier, you will need a garage door company to come and raise the tracks and put in a new wall mount opener (https://www.liftmaster.com/liftmaste...opener/p/8500W) Garage door guy charged me around $1200 for everything. Lift cost me $4700 including installation. Don't try to install yourself. I watched 3 guys who do it every day take 6 hours to get it complete it. Would have taken me a week or more I'm betting! I have 10' ceilings and 2 Pcars fit easily. Could probably make 9'6" work if you needed to. Here is a pic.

Would be interested to know the distance between your ceiling and the bottom of the raised door track? I have the same ceiling height and two different garage door contractors are giving me different answers.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:03 AM
joejenie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by steelesm
Would be interested to know the distance between your ceiling and the bottom of the raised door track? I have the same ceiling height and two different garage door contractors are giving me different answers.
We put our garage door as high as we possibly could. Those side tracks are 9" from the sheetrock to the bottom of the track. The spring at the front of the doors is the limiting factor. My garage is 10'4" in the front and 10'6" at the door (sloping concrete). I have over 12" between the roof of my 993 and the light which sticks down 3.5". So if you take the light out (use recessed can lights), I could probably go high enough to put a SUV below the car. Minimum ceiling clearance per Challenger was 9'6" IIRC. I would definitely buy a Challenger lift again. Been flawless so far.

Opener is. Liftmaster 8550. Reused the garage doors, but had to replace the opener, springs and tracks. Cost around $1200 per door. One benefit with the 8550 is they have a real locking mechanism now as well. We are gone for a few months in the summer and it's a good way to lock the garage door. I liked the install so much that I had them do the same install on my other 2 garage doors even though I don't have lifts over there (yet. hahaha)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:43 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Niez66
I’ve had my lift for 5+ years and not one single issue with it. I also bought the rolling center jack lift, order one with confidence.

fel free to pm me if you have specific questions, I’d even shoot you my phon number if you wanna ask some questions.
Thanks. Probably wont do this for another 12 months but will reach out when i'm ready. Appreciate it!

Did you guys have it anchored?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:46 AM
steelesm
Track Day

We put our garage door as high as we possibly could. Those side tracks are 9" from the sheetrock to the bottom of the track. The spring at the front of the doors is the limiting factor. My garage is 10'4" in the front and 10'6" at the door (sloping concrete). I have over 12" between the roof of my 993 and the light which sticks down 3.5". So if you take the light out (use recessed can lights), I could probably go high enough to put a SUV below the car. Minimum ceiling clearance per Challenger was 9'6" IIRC. I would definitely buy a Challenger lift again. Been flawless so far.

Opener is. Liftmaster 8550. Reused the garage doors, but had to replace the opener, springs and tracks. Cost around $1200 per door. One benefit with the 8550 is they have a real locking mechanism now as well. We are gone for a few months in the summer and it's a good way to lock the garage door. I liked the install so much that I had them do the same install on my other 2 garage doors even though I don't have lifts over there (yet. hahaha)
Thanks for the info! My ceiling height is about 4" shorter than yours at each end and I'm parking an F80 M3 and 991.2 GTS, which I believe is approx. 6" more total height of cars that you have. I'm checking whether the tracks can be angled slightly upwards as they move away from the spring drum and I also think that the jack shaft operator can be programmed so that the door doesn't fully retract, the thought being that the door wouldn't be directly over the peak of the 911 but rather the rear sloping window.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:42 PM
joejenie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by steelesm
Thanks for the info! My ceiling height is about 4" shorter than yours at each end and I'm parking an F80 M3 and 991.2 GTS, which I believe is approx. 6" more total height of cars that you have. I'm checking whether the tracks can be angled slightly upwards as they move away from the spring drum and I also think that the jack shaft operator can be programmed so that the door doesn't fully retract, the thought being that the door wouldn't be directly over the peak of the 911 but rather the rear sloping window.
You can definitely program the door to not open all the way. I have mine programmed that way. Door doesn't come into play on the roof of the car at all. Tracks can be angled as well. Here is an updated picture.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:33 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

You can definitely program the door to not open all the way. I have mine programmed that way. Door doesn't come into play on the roof of the car at all. Tracks can be angled as well. Here is an updated picture.

Yes make sure also that you move the emergency stops!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I just installed a Challenger 4 post lift about 3 weeks ago. Called the local lift company and they talked me into the Challenger (I was asking for Bendpak). Works great and doesn't need an air compressor like the Bendpak. Like discussed earlier, you will need a garage door company to come and raise the tracks and put in a new wall mount opener (https://www.liftmaster.com/liftmaste...opener/p/8500W) Garage door guy charged me around $1200 for everything. Lift cost me $4700 including installation. Don't try to install yourself. I watched 3 guys who do it every day take 6 hours to get it complete it. Would have taken me a week or more I'm betting! I have 10' ceilings and 2 Pcars fit easily. Could probably make 9'6" work if you needed to. Here is a pic.

I love everything about this setup, except shouldn’t the air-cooled car be on the bottom?

You know what they say: If you have an air-cooled car that’s not leaking oil, then it’s out of oil

Congrats on a great garage
Old 01-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Corino
Advanced

If anyone is looking for a storage lift please pm me. I own several napa stores and can get you a great price drop shipped anywhere in the USA!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:23 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What makes the Challenger lift(s) superior to the Bendpak lift(s)?

Quick Reply: garage car lifts