Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.2RS release date

Old 08-01-2016, 09:00 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default .2RS release date

Assuming .2GT3 is announced next March with delivery Q2,17 when will the .2RS be released? Whats the likelihood of a 4.2L? Will they offer Man and PDK? I know for now everyone thinks only PDK.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:11 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

2018 I believe.
The cleaning lady is saying pdk only.

1) Are you interested in the car?
2) Let's say there'd be a choice : which transmission would you get?

Old 08-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
2018 I believe.

I'm going to buy one whichever trans it comes with , but if I had a choice it would be a manual .
Old 08-01-2016, 09:15 PM
silverrules
Drifting

2018 makes sense. Release bunch of GT3's in 2017 and announce RS early 2018. I am definitely going Manual if given a choice next time around after test driving the GT4 this past weekend. I truly miss the engagement. PDK gets tiring after a while but different story for the track rats.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:32 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,790 Likes on 2,159 Posts

I think I'll get a PDK .2GT4 and a manual .2GT3 to mix it up.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

All you Manual guys who went to the GT3/RS and brag how great it is and will never go back- just drive the GT4 and you will realize that no matter how technology advances you still love a Manual.

Now- I think PDK-S is awesome and a major achievement but will not leave a Manual again until Porsche no longer offers it in their GT cars. And I hope they never not offer this option.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:46 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO:
MY18 GT3
MY18 GT2 RS
MY19 4.2L GT3 RS (limited edition)
MY20 hello small displace turbo with hybrid

Different enough product/price point to push out a GT2RS and GT3 together.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:50 PM
silverrules
Drifting

LOL Jimmy, GT4 is a blast. I need to find one @ MSRP. 2018 seems so far out for .2RS. I am definitely getting the .2GT3 in stick and if RS comes in stick I am a buyer otherwise will keep the .2GT3. Done with PDK unless no choice.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Whether you have slept with the cleaning lady or not, here are a few things to consider based on AP's comments :
The RS needs to be the fastest Natural Aspirated 911 in the lineup. It also needs to have the highest downforce,largest contact patch(tires),biggest wheelbase etc. It needs to be the street legal Cup Car. Do you see any Cup cars with a manual transmission...? So I'm pretty sure we won't see another RS with a manual transmission unfortunately...
But,I do believe Porsche will make another special car like the 911R,which will address that issue and be more available to enthusiasts.

The sure bet for a manual will be the 991.2 GT3,which I believe will be a phenomenal car. From what I've been reading,many have concluded that the RS might not be worth the price difference in comparison to the GT3,so getting the GT3 with a manual instead looks like the way to go.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:23 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 681 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
All you Manual guys who went to the GT3/RS and brag how great it is and will never go back- just drive the GT4 and you will realize that no matter how technology advances you still love a Manual.

Now- I think PDK-S is awesome and a major achievement but will not leave a Manual again until Porsche no longer offers it in their GT cars. And I hope they never not offer this option.
I'm fortunate to own both a GT4 and 991 RS and I prefer the PDK under most driving conditions. Assuming the gear ratios stay the same, I wouldn't think about ordering the RS in manual (unless I had a second RS and did it purely for variety sake). That said, I do think manual suits the GT4 given it's lower power and torque. I suspect most people with a GT4 use the auto blip feature (at least I do). I think heel and toeing is 50% of the manual driving experience but I personally find it difficult to execute smoothly at street speeds and with the wide spacing of the pedals (relative to race cars at least).

Modern supercars with short gear ratios are simply too fast for manual gearboxes. I can't even imagine how one could keep up in cars like the 488, 675 LT or upcoming GT2. The driver's hand would never leave the shifter under acceleration!
Old 08-01-2016, 11:35 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

I completely agree, an RS puts down too much too fast for a manual..then everyone tracking their cars will be complaining about how it easy it is to blow the engines.

the GT4 and its lower power band fits the manual really well..

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
I'm fortunate to own both a GT4 and 991 RS and I prefer the PDK under most driving conditions. Assuming the gear ratios stay the same, I wouldn't think about ordering the RS in manual (unless I had a second RS and did it purely for variety sake). That said, I do think manual suits the GT4 given it's lower power and torque. I suspect most people with a GT4 use the auto blip feature (at least I do). I think heel and toeing is 50% of the manual driving experience but I personally find it difficult to execute smoothly at street speeds and with the wide spacing of the pedals (relative to race cars at least).

Modern supercars with short gear ratios are simply too fast for manual gearboxes. I can't even imagine how one could keep up in cars like the 488, 675 LT or upcoming GT2. The driver's hand would never leave the shifter under acceleration!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:25 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I completely agree, an RS puts down too much too fast for a manual..then everyone tracking their cars will be complaining about how it easy it is to blow the engines.

Agreed as well. The GT4 is perfectly suited to the manual...

Watched that 911R track video the other day with the new manual. The difference between that and a PDK equipped GT3/RS was amazing. I was amazed at how involving the manual was but also how unsettled the car became during shifts and how long the shifts took. This is going to be a bitch deciding on trans in the new .2 GT3.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:32 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

A 3300lbs body mass without a connected transmission
for such a long time on the manual ones during the gear shifts

what a bad idea on track
Old 08-02-2016, 01:33 AM
GT63TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think there will be a manual only option, no pdk for the gt3 which will be equipped w either the pre-existing 3.8 or RS 4.0. I'm guessing (for fun) and certainly not insisting, the car to be had for track numbers will be the RS and the extra .2 litters and drop in weight will bring the gt3 to equal speed as its outgoing 991.1

With all that said my wallet wants the new 991.2 gt3 to have a turbocharged engine w manual transmission and mandatory ***** option so I can secure my 991.1 gt3 investment or soon to be, liability.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Assuming .2GT3 is announced next March with delivery Q2,17 when will the .2RS be released? Whats the likelihood of a 4.2L? Will they offer Man and PDK? I know for now everyone thinks only PDK.
I think RS will be PDKS only. Everything else will be manual or PDK optional for quite a while.

Originally Posted by neanicu
2018 I believe.

PDK for me until I move anyway.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

Speak for yourself.
I like manual but in more analog (slower) cars only GT4, older Porsche's and BMW's, Aston, Mustangs..

Originally Posted by NateOZ
IMO:
MY18 GT3
MY18 GT2 RS
MY19 4.2L GT3 RS (limited edition)
MY20 hello small displace turbo with hybrid

Different enough product/price point to push out a GT2RS and GT3 together.
And now even more variation with the GT3R line..
I think you are spot on. Add a GT4 PDKS as well

Originally Posted by silverrules
LOL Jimmy, GT4 is a blast. I need to find one @ MSRP. 2018 seems so far out for .2RS. I am definitely getting the .2GT3 in stick and if RS comes in stick I am a buyer otherwise will keep the .2GT3. Done with PDK unless no choice.
There is a red GT4 used at MSRP that comes track ready and a pile of goodies. $94k offered by ChrisF.

Originally Posted by jlee504

+1

Originally Posted by fxz
A 3300lbs body mass without a connected transmission
for such a long time on the manual ones during the gear shifts

what a bad idea on track
+1, you're making more and more sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: .2RS release date