.2RS release date

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 04:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
LOL Jimmy, GT4 is a blast. I need to find one @ MSRP. 2018 seems so far out for .2RS. I am definitely getting the .2GT3 in stick and if RS comes in stick I am a buyer otherwise will keep the .2GT3. Done with PDK unless no choice.
u didnt' tell me you wanted msrp GT4. i just dumped one of our group's car at dealer. i didnt have interest answering idiotic questions. dealer paid me 5k over on the spot. it's now marked 10k over what he paid me. and it will sell. there's a red GT4 selling on GT4 board, chrisF's car. that's a hell of a GT4 for his asking price.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
All you Manual guys who went to the GT3/RS and brag how great it is and will never go back- just drive the GT4 and you will realize that no matter how technology advances you still love a Manual.

Now- I think PDK-S is awesome and a major achievement but will not leave a Manual again until Porsche no longer offers it in their GT cars. And I hope they never not offer this option.
i have GT4 and 991RS. manual has it's place so does PDK. i prefer both

but if i can only have one, i will take PDK-S.
i am selling all my antiques bc they dont have pdk-s
the 4.0 is spared b/c it was a gift, can't really sell it.
but that's just me getting lazy shifting. it distracts me from sexting and posting on RL.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:05 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
IMO:
MY18 GT3
MY18 GT2 RS
MY19 4.2L GT3 RS (limited edition)
MY20 hello small displace turbo with hybrid

Different enough product/price point to push out a GT2RS and GT3 together.
spot on also my guess.

991.2GT3 and GT2RS at Geneva 17

991.2GT3RS (limited) at some fair around the globe in 2018

a 992RS maybe already with transmission behind the engine... somehow a 912... or a Cay911man. will be exciting how they will communicate such a change.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
spot on also my guess. 991.2GT3 and GT2RS at Geneva 17 991.2GT3RS (limited) at some fair around the globe in 2018 a 992RS maybe already with transmission behind the engine... somehow a 912... or a Cay911man. will be exciting how they will communicate such a change.
Yip. Spot on alright. Throw in GT4 PDK as Peter says Geneva 2018?

Manual vs PDK debate boring. Ask track guy (for whom GT range was targeted) mostly says PDK. Ask non track guy says mostly manual. Makes sense.

Only thing doesn't make much sense is if 991.2 is 3.8L MT GT3 how is it going to win DE from 3.8L Pdk GT4 let alone current MT model...?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:04 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

I think we might've seen that last of the RS in this form. No .2 likely. If it is it'll be a 918 blow me SE unobtanium.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:52 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
From what I've been reading,many have concluded that the RS might not be worth the price difference in comparison to the GT3.....
Owned both and disagree. Just did 500+ miles in RS over the weekend along with a buddy in a GT3 covering three states, all conditions of weather and roads, as well as a bit of track time. Not taking anything away from GT3 but RS is faster, more compliant, easier to drive on road and track due to added torque, makes even better noises, is a show stopper wherever it goes, and enjoys substantially higher resale value. Easily worth the delta in my book.

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
I think we might've seen that last of the RS in this form. No .2 likely.
Disagree.

Agree 991.2 GT3 will have manual option (and Neanicu will finally own one). No insight on manual for RS but agree much less likely - only real argument supporting from Porsche's standpoint is amortization of costs.

Last edited by Nizer; 08-02-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:38 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
I think we might've seen that last of the RS in this form. No .2 likely. If it is it'll be a 918 blow me SE unobtanium.

Why no .2?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard no RS.2 too...
Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 AM
rave426
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I completely agree, an RS puts down too much too fast for a manual..then everyone tracking their cars will be complaining about how it easy it is to blow the engines.

the GT4 and its lower power band fits the manual really well..
There is nothing too fast about about the RS for a manual. The RS 4.0 had manual and older air cooled Porsche that put up big turbo power probably had a higher risk of engine failure due to heat. Hell a McLaren F1 has a manual.

I really enjoy PDK, but somehow we enthusiast have let the car builders convince us that a car "needs" an auto transmission.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:31 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

A little birdie told me Porsche is going to offer .2 GT3 and GT2RS with manual, and are very seriously considering the Turbo, Turbo-S, and GT3RS all with manual options too. So basically the entire GT and Turbo lineup.

Let's face it, Porsche (and every sports car manufacturer) needs to hold on to every customer they can. The fascination with sports cars is dying.

Driving AND cars are a dwindling desire or need for the younger generations coming up. They would rather uber and text away, while riding in a fawking Prius. They don't care about cars. If you are in the car business, you want to hold on to every customer you can, especially in the high end sports car market. Not that BMW is high end, but they sell virtually no manuals compared to PDK, and yet they still do the engineering and offer them for their die-hard manual base.

Porsche is very wise to give us the choice. They will retain customers who would otherwise take their $100K+ elsewhere to get a manual. There are no shortage of people on this forum who bought a GT4 over a GT3 simply because it was offered in manual. Lot's of new GT4 owners who will next step up to the GT3, but want a manual. I have no problem with PDK-S....just glad to hear the head honchos are moving back toward "choice".
Old 08-02-2016, 10:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Owned both and disagree. Just did 500+ miles in RS over the weekend along with a buddy in a GT3 covering three states, all conditions of weather and roads, as well as a bit of track time. Not taking anything away from GT3 but RS is faster, more compliant, easier to drive on road and track due to added torque, makes even better noises, is a show stopper wherever it goes, and enjoys substantially higher resale value. Easily worth the delta in my book.

Disagree.

Agree 991.2 GT3 will have manual option (and Neanicu will finally own one). No insight on manual for RS but agree much less likely - only real argument supporting from Porsche's standpoint is amortization of costs.
in defense of nicu ( like he need it lol ), I think if one paid $100 over for RS, then perhaps it's not worth it. but at MSRP vs MSRP approx 40 delta, the cf work alone is worth it. look at the cf weave on the underside of the hood.... it's like on ur knees and lookomg up a skirt gents. park car outside overnight and u will see cf skeleton on the hood, a Demi bra hinting under a loose flowing blouse I don't know, I pay a lot for that stuff.

Originally Posted by Metzeger
I heard no RS.2 too...
so I heard and ordered another RS

Originally Posted by rave426
There is nothing too fast about about the RS for a manual. The RS 4.0 had manual and older air cooled Porsche that put up big turbo power probably had a higher risk of engine failure due to heat. Hell a McLaren F1 has a manual.

I really enjoy PDK, but somehow we enthusiast have let the car builders convince us that a car "needs" an auto transmission.
fast or quick is not the words to,use. it's a feel. now I said many time pdk isn't better than sticks per say, but they are different

imedited the following as it felt insensitive to the recent stupid shootings all over the world. but summary is a rifle is not the same as machine gun.a machine gun is "quicker" than **** gun, but I don't think that's the word to describe it. pdk va stick is like that.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:43 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Yip. Spot on alright. Throw in GT4 PDK as Peter says Geneva 2018?

Manual vs PDK debate boring. Ask track guy (for whom GT range was targeted) mostly says PDK. Ask non track guy says mostly manual. Makes sense.
Track VS street and good curves roads VS crap boring roads..
Drove yesterday from LA to SFO 33 - 166 - 58 it was awesome even in the flappy paddle rental car but I'd have a manual here. We ran 100+ mph wherever possible and did some real hooligan driving. I love this place.

We will be on the road to FL in the 6.9 for the next 6 days

Originally Posted by Mvez
A little birdie told me Porsche is going to offer .2 GT3 and GT2RS with manual, and are very seriously considering the Turbo, Turbo-S, and GT3RS all with manual options too. So basically the entire GT and Turbo lineup.

Let's face it, Porsche (and every sports car manufacturer) needs to hold on to every customer they can. The fascination with sports cars is dying.

Driving AND cars are a dwindling desire or need for the younger generations coming up. They would rather uber and text away, while riding in a fawking Prius. They don't care about cars. If you are in the car business, you want to hold on to every customer you can, especially in the high end sports car market. Not that BMW is high end, but they sell virtually no manuals compared to PDK, and yet they still do the engineering and offer them for their die-hard manual base.

Porsche is very wise to give us the choice. They will retain customers who would otherwise take their $100K+ elsewhere to get a manual. There are no shortage of people on this forum who bought a GT4 over a GT3 simply because it was offered in manual. Lot's of new GT4 owners who will next step up to the GT3, but want a manual. I have no problem with PDK-S....just glad to hear the head honchos are moving back toward "choice".
That makes sense. Fingers crossed you are right!!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:24 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My birdie says 4.2L on next RS as well and sure hope MT and PDK is offered on RS so we have a choice.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,719 Likes on 2,690 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
My birdie says 4.2L on next RS as well and sure hope MT and PDK is offered on RS so we have a choice.
You think a regular production RS 4.2 or a special limited edition (like 997 RS 4.0)?
Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
You think a regular production RS 4.2 or a special limited edition (like 997 RS 4.0)?
Grant, no mention of special edition. I will ask next time I see him and see if he knows. Between now and 2018 so many things could change and if VW is broke they will pump out a lot of RS's like they did this last go around. There is more .1 RS than GT3 so I am not worried
Old 08-02-2016, 01:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,719 Likes on 2,690 Posts

Thanks!

Quick Reply: .2RS release date