Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Whats the Big Deal With These "Nano Coatings"??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 05:51 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So Whats the Big Deal With These "Nano Coatings"??

"Nano Coatings" have become quite a buzz word as of late. They have taken the market by storm and have almost completely killed waxes and sealants. Its easy to get confused when researching or trying to decide whether this is something worth your hard earned money.

In their simplest terms, Nano Coatings are semi permanent silica based "coatings" which bond to automotive surfaces to protect and enhance the vehicles finish. They can be found in the form of over the counter solution, or pro only systems ranging in pricing, durability and performance.

What are the benefits? The main performance you will see will be two things, A) High gloss/shine finish, B) Ease of maintenance (Hydrophobic properties/dirt repellency). What does this mean in layman's terms? Less time washing your car and more time enjoying it. Gone are the days of weekend long details to wax or seal your paint.

Protection from oxidation, UV rays, water spotting, light marring, chemical etching, paint fading etc. are all benefits to these long lasting solutions. The HARDER and THICKER the coating the better it will protect the clear coat. They should be looked at as a sacrificial barrier between your car and the elements.

Here is an awesome example of how easy a Nano Coating makes maintaining your vehicles finish.

NOT ALL COATINGS ARE CREATED EQUAL, always do your due diligence when researching a product line or installer. The performance and durability you will see come down to the prep work and coating of choice.

Last edited by TimAD; 01-23-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:36 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How would you rate them from best to worst?
Old 08-03-2016, 05:53 PM
0-60 freak
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want my cars to do that!
Old 08-03-2016, 06:07 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
How would you rate them from best to worst?
This is nearly impossible to predict because different paints/clears will react to each coating differently. Some will work better with softer paint and some better with harder paints.

I've seen CQuartz get gummy on softer paints where 22ple worked really well. No easy answer unfortunately.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:13 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

The golden rule is to invest in a shop/installer that you can trust. Each shop will carry a brand based on many different variables. The large part of the cost is in the prep work, making sure the coating bonds properly to the surface will determine the results you see.

Last edited by TimAD; 01-23-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:17 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I have Cquartz Finest on my RS7 and it always looks waxed and polished even when it's "dirty". Takes no time to clean. Quick foam cannon blast, let sit for a couple minutes... Two bucket around the car, rinse and leaf blow dry. 15 minutes max if I'm moving slow.

Like the OP says, the prep (paint correct and polish usually) is super important to the process so use a very good installer. Not something I would DIY unless you're a big detailing guy.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got opti pro + on the GT4, 911 and VW tdi.

Nothing by praise from me...makes cleaning super easy and the cars look great.

Like others have said, prep work is important. I'm very lucky to have a detailer that is as particular as they come when it comes to paint.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:55 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
I have Cquartz Finest on my RS7 and it always looks waxed and polished even when it's "dirty". Takes no time to clean. Quick foam cannon blast, let sit for a couple minutes... Two bucket around the car, rinse and leaf blow dry. 15 minutes max if I'm moving slow.

Like the OP says, the prep (paint correct and polish usually) is super important to the process so use a very good installer. Not something I would DIY unless you're a big detailing guy.
Have the same, CQuartz Finest on my GT3. Love the way it sets up.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:57 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got Cquartz finest on my white GT3 and quite pleased. Out of curiosity, does anyone think any of the others would be better on white?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:08 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Can you apply Nano coating over paint protection film? Well, I suppose you can, any reason you shouldn't?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:51 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

I just had cquartz put on both my cars over film. It looks amazing and makes the film have a much deeper gloss.

How long does Cquartz last?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:52 PM
991PTSRS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OpieT
Can you apply Nano coating over paint protection film? Well, I suppose you can, any reason you shouldn't?
You can and it works well. I always coat over my clear bra as well. It's not the same type my detailers uses on the paint but some other product from the same brand (opti-coat)
Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I just had cquartz put on both my cars over film. It looks amazing and makes the film have a much deeper gloss. How long does Cquartz last?
Warranty is 2 years.. I haven't had it long enough to know how long it lives beyond that and how much weather exposure comes into play.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:16 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
This is nearly impossible to predict because different paints/clears will react to each coating differently. Some will work better with softer paint and some better with harder paints.
Which is exactly why Modesta makes BC-01 through BC-09 body coatings. They literally each have their own characteristics that can be taken advantage of on different finishes.

Have super duper soft paint that is a problem to coat? BC-02 to the rescue!
Looking for incredible gloss and a candy-like finish? BC-05.
Insane'o gloss and pop? BC-04.
On a budget? BC-08.
BC-06 and BC-09 are dedicated wheel and caliper coatings with the best/highest heat tolerances available. They were literally designed for race circuit wheels.

The list can go on too.

I am totally partial but I think Modesta is the bee's-knees. A glass coating system unlike anything I have ever seen.

BC-05 in the house!

Last edited by Detailed Designs; 08-03-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

I have had Cquartz and now Modesta and Modesta rocks. Cquartz is very good but Modesta the top of the chain but you still need a great installer for prep and appilcation

Quick Reply: So Whats the Big Deal With These "Nano Coatings"??