Sponsored by:

Theoretically- A waiting list

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:52 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
#1: There's no such thing as local when selling +$150k discretionary product.

#2 There is such a thing as relationship building and that's what I'd focus on.

I know plenty of guys who've purchased multiple high-end cars from the same dealer +1,000 miles from their location and they've done it because the dealer treats them well.

Better to focus on building relationships because:

#1: most dealers plain suck at it, which will give a major competitive advantage over time and,
#2: restricting your focus to locals will ultimately restrict your growth and lead to animosity when you try to play both sides of the local-only vs growth equation.

Remember it's not the cars, it's the people.
This.
Very well said.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

relationship

play God, do u think the car is going to the right place.

when I have to make a business decision, I don't look at profit or growth. I on,ly ask one question, can I sleep at night.... some lies to self.... ur call. I could have quadrupled my profit but unlike many business ppl I don't have any prob sleeping at night.. I even sleep during the day while racing ...

it's a simple question with a simple answer
Old 07-29-2016, 08:02 PM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Saw this new dealership on my way home from work the other day... Located right in the middle between Pacific and Circle Porsche...

13580397_10154418000439284_3960258100274829769_o by blueprint012, on Flickr
That's the new site for Pacific accross from Costco (unless I'm not recognizing the site correctly).
Old 07-29-2016, 08:19 PM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

CJ - whatever happens, GL and I hope you land a dealership. You always have sounded like a squared away guy who would be fair as hell to clients.

I second mooty as well.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:54 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

#1: There's no such thing as local when selling +$150k discretionary product.

#2 There is such a thing as relationship building and that's what I'd focus on.

I know plenty of guys who've purchased multiple high-end cars from the same dealer +1,000 miles from their location and they've done it because the dealer treats them well.

Better to focus on building relationships because:

#1: most dealers plain suck at it, which will give a major competitive advantage over time and,
#2: restricting your focus to locals will ultimately restrict your growth and lead to animosity when you try to play both sides of the local-only vs growth equation.

Remember it's not the cars, it's the people.
These are good points which I agree with and I see both sides but with #1 I would venture to guess that currently there would be no unclaimed allocations or unsold GT3s or RSs (and GT4s for that matter but technically less 150K) if sold at MSRP to local clinets even in small Porsche markets especially given that they get less total GT cars.

At the moment the economy is good and this scenario may be allot different major downturn but all the more reason to take care of your good repeat local clients because they are the ones that are more likely buy even during down times. These are the same guys that will trade back the GT car to same dealer and allow the dealer to make profit on resale.
In my opinion there may be to many overall dealers with more of the not so good guys and less of the good guys. Even the dealers that try to do the right thing by following first come first serve and honoring the list with out of town customers at MSRP may be in retrospect hurting the local guy who gets bumped and then has to look out of town. The small market dealers try to maximize on the few big profit cars they get by selling to highest bidder.

If dealers don't deal with "local" customers than maybe the model should be just order from the internet or central location like an Amazon for new Porsches but that would be terrible.

In closing take care of your loyal repeat local customers first, use internet, word of mouth, Rennlist etc to advertise, network etc to expand customer base for resale, customers with no local dealer or unscrupulous dealer.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:45 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Just came across this thread.

From an ownership standpoint, this is how it's done. Period.

You have my support, CJ.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Group Buy?
In
Old 07-30-2016, 12:47 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

In
M2
Old 07-30-2016, 11:44 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I'm surprised I only got a few PMs. You guys must love your dealers!
Old 07-30-2016, 12:13 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Your best shot at acquiring a Porsche dealership, apart from a new point awarded by the factory, is to utilize the services of a broker. Moshe Stopnitzky, Mark Johnson, and Brady Schmidt are three experienced professionals with their own firms who have the relationships you need with a seller of a Porsche dealership. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:21 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Your best shot at acquiring a Porsche dealership, apart from a new point awarded by the factory, is to utilize the services of a broker. Moshe Stopnitzky, Mark Johnson, and Brady Schmidt are three experienced professionals with their own firms who have the relationships you need with a seller of a Porsche dealership. Good luck.

I'll be ok
Old 07-30-2016, 01:40 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm surprised I only got a few PMs. You guys must love your dealers!
Let me know when you have a dealership and I will gladly be your first customer and one of your longest customer until I can't drive anymore.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:30 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Make people jump through hoops just like Ford recently did for their GT allocations.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

CJ - been in the service industry my entire life (not just career). 100% focus on relationship, above all else. in the end it ALWAYS WINS. No games, straight shooting, no BS, no greed, no gymnastics, a handshake. Just cut to the chase, yes or no. People appreciate that. Some don't "LIKE" no but they do appreciate it. Customer FIRST. Hell I just wrote off a couple 100k last week on 2 programs, why? Right thing to do. Customer wasn't really right, but it was the RIGHT thing for the RELATIONSHIP. That $ will pay back in millions over next 12mo.

And of course i want on that list LoL :-)

Do that, and have and require all your staff to LIVE by that, you'll do fine.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:07 PM
JQ11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Ha he said he's been after this for 12yrs - pretty sure he knows the ropes to get one. I bet he either has one but can't yet announce or is very close to finalizing.

CJ - you've got my email already so look forward to being on the list and buying a Porsche from you.

Quick Reply: Theoretically- A waiting list