Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theoretically- A waiting list

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:18 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CJ, please buy Brumos back from Fields, and merge their racing history, the dealership, and your race team

Old 07-29-2016, 03:30 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Just reading the vast differences of opinions from the few responders so far, its obvious youre never going to make everybody happy. Someone is going to mf you, no matter which route you go...
Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I think you should place high value on good customers, however you define them. I personally wouldn't give much preference to them being local per se. High dollar cars are bought all across the country. My last 4-5 cars were all sourced from over 1000 miles away, including a 4.0 from a cool ball player who hangs out here a lot

Last edited by FLGT; 07-30-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:37 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
CJ, please buy Brumos back from Fields, and merge their racing history, the dealership, and your race team

Seriously great idea. Not the same since Fields bought it.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:53 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Number 3 would result in me never being a customer, unless of course they want to split depreciation 50/50 and give me 50% off servicing costs, split insurance etc. They're not taking any of the risks of ownership, why should they have a right to any profit?
Because they sold it to you at msrp and if you won't share, they are still going to want a piece of the market somehow, resulting in some of the BS that occurs now.

You can't cherry pick. If you only buy GT cars at msrp from them and then spread your other purchases around the country to the lowest price all the while selling your GT cars outright to maximize profit, you aren't any value at all to the dealer.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:07 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by 916Bob
Whatever your "list" policies end up being, be open and honest about them, and apply them consistently. The games and lies are what drive me nuts. BTW, are you getting any more 675LT spider allocations?
We just got a spare one yes
Old 07-29-2016, 04:11 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
Group Buy?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:11 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLGT
Seriously great idea. Not the same since Fields bought it.
Fields pretty much owns every high end car dealer in central/north FL and is seemingly intent on ruining all of them
Old 07-29-2016, 04:12 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Group Buy?

honestly that could probably be pulled off....
Old 07-29-2016, 04:17 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CJ,

IMO, create a list of commandments / workflow that YOU feel is fair on whom gets those special allocations. Be transparent about them with customers and stick to them.

IF it were me. My list would probably based on a point scale/ past ownership of Porsche's, long term holders of purchase cars and drivers. It's easy to spot flippers. At that point. Take consideration local customers, returned customers and first come first serve. From what i have observed from friends and on Rennlist, that those whom love the Porsche brand, have owned non-GT cars before owning a GT car. Most also own non-GT Porsche cars concurrently.
Example, close friend of mine has owned 11, 911s, and he recently got his first 2 allocations for GT cars. Me included, i owned 2 Porsche's before getting my GT car.
Mooty as a example. He owned several non-GT cars before GT cars. And he still does.

On a final note. I know a lot of people will not like this however, if you give an allocation for a .1 model to a specific individual, i would be extremely hesitant to give an allocation for a .2 model to the same individual that ordered a .1.

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 07-29-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:05 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

First of all, that you're even discussing this concept on an enthusiast forum immediately puts you way up the list of dealers IMHO. Thanks for that.

As many others here have stated, I think my first commandment would be: establish the rules and stick with them. I started down that path with a dealer. Purchased 2 new Pcars in less than 2 years based on the idea that you get in line, put down a deposit and pay MSRP for the highly desired cars. Then, after the rest of the world woke up to GT car ownership with the 991's, that policy got pushed aside for "highest bidder over MSRP!". F' the relationship; F' the loyalty.

Repeat customers should count for something; loyalty should count too. I get that dealers are businesses and are not NPO's. I just think there's a balance between the culture of this year's bottom line and the long game. I'll settle for: "The line starts now; want in?; put down a real deposit and wait." How customers are notified of the line starting would be based on factors mentioned above. My $.02. Thanks for actually listening C.J. If you open a dealership, you'll be my first call when looking for a car.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:19 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Unfortunately the "MEGA" Dealership consolidations aren't having a positive effect on buyers and enthusiasts.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:21 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
I like Park Place in Dallas. Their policy is first come, first served @ MSRP. They have a strong preference for local buyers, but will make the occasional exceptions for out-of-state buyers.
This is a good business model but you need to maintain local relationships also. Any business owner, exec, or salesmen knows that to have repeat and happy customers, local or not, is based mostly from a well established and honest relationship. Relationships make or break business unless you live in major markets like LA, NY, Miami, Dallas, Phoenix etc.. with endless customers.

I would be happy to be one of your repeat and continuous out of state and sort of local customers especially after meeting you. I know when I choose to add a Mac to my garage you will be the first person I call, not Dallas or Houston, just because of how you treated the other day at your dealership. I think my father is now on the fence for a 12C spider instead of GT3.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:12 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CHADW
Because they sold it to you at msrp and if you won't share, they are still going to want a piece of the market somehow, resulting in some of the BS that occurs now.

You can't cherry pick. If you only buy GT cars at msrp from them and then spread your other purchases around the country to the lowest price all the while selling your GT cars outright to maximize profit, you aren't any value at all to the dealer.
Agree - but I personally wouldn't see to GT only customers unless I felt they would become more. A GT only customer isn't doing a dealership any favors, they should be used to reward frequent/loyal customers. This is the problem with a first come first served list, you end up keeping the lowest value customers and not the high profit customers.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:37 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Saw this new dealership on my way home from work the other day... Located right in the middle between Pacific and Circle Porsche...

13580397_10154418000439284_3960258100274829769_o by blueprint012, on Flickr

Quick Reply: Theoretically- A waiting list