991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theoretically- A waiting list

Old 07-29-2016, 11:01 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Seems like an opportunity to own a Porsche dealership is to buy an existing one. From what I've seen, they barely open new ones.

Ones in the hottest markets rarely if ever come up for sale. Buy one in a smaller market, you won't get any, or maybe 1-2 GT cars per model if you're lucky. That would be frustrating too. From observing, seems like a very hard position to be in. Isn't always as glamorous as it seems if you're not a high volume dealer.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:40 AM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpacione
On the surface, preferring local makes sense, but I think it excludes a lot of business. Folks will buy from anywhere that will treat them right and will stay with them until they feel screwed over. Offer MSRP for repeat clients and honor the waiting list (no skipping ppl to the front). Local clients will be there if your service is great and you treat everyone fairly. Just my 2 cents.
+ 1
Like you CJ, I have to look all over the country to get the cars I want. I would love to be able to go to ONE dealership that didn't play games, regardless of where they are located. I would be a customer for life.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:11 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 412 Posts

Relationships like my local Ford dealer who has sold me multiple Trucks and a Boss 302. When I asked for a GT350 allotment he quoted me $15k over. I reminded him that when I got the Boss for MSRP he said they never charged ADM. I told him to go to **** and I would never grace his store again.

Now from my POV I would value relationships 1st no matter where they reside, then Locals trying to establish a long term relationship (we all had to start somewhere). Flippers go to the back of the line

Peter
Old 07-29-2016, 12:40 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Reserve the top few allocations (e.g. 2 for a RS, 4 for a GT3) for repeat local customers, take a list of deposits from others if you want but tell them they're behind those numbers, i.e. first walk in would be #3 for an RS, #5 for a GT3 etc.

My dealer 100% accepts that once I buy a car it's mine to do with what I want. If I flip it, that's my business as they know it'll just mean I'll buy more cars from them anyway. I also support their business, i.e. they do the service work, I buy parts/accessories off them vs saving a few $s online.

I always buy off their other family owned Marques before going elsewhere too, e.g. I'm on their AMG GTR list as well as GT2 RS/GT3 RS list.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:22 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Whatever your business model, wish you the best. Would love to do business with you some day. You seem like a true car guy.

Good luck
Old 07-29-2016, 01:29 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything CONUS should be considered local these days. Like many people, due to my livelihood I have had the opportunity to live in multiple cities and states around the country. I have established personal and business relationships with different people and companies CONUS wide and keep going back to those that appreciate by business and treat me fairly. It is simple to do business with any trustworthy business or dealership anywhere in CONUS these days. CONUS is local.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,700 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Hope you get a dealership, CJ! Would definitely be good for the enthusiast community
Old 07-29-2016, 02:07 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 211 Posts

Local buyers of course are very important.
There will always be customers who have a better relationship that will get pushed/skip on the list.
As long as as the list is somewhat consistent and at MSRP I do not see any problems with this.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:33 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Always sell at MSRP.
2. Locals should be priority but ultimately whoever grosses the dealer the most profit should be highest priority - my ten purchases from FL this year should rank higher than your neighbor's two - this is also interesting because collectors make you less money than constant traders
3. You get first right to all cars when customer ready to trade/sell to resell at market price and split profit 50/50 with customer (half of $ over msrp on resale)
4. One car of each model for each customer, unless something weird happens like car comes in wrong color, etc
5. Customer sells themselves, stops buying other cars, etc, they are off list
Old 07-29-2016, 02:38 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever your "list" policies end up being, be open and honest about them, and apply them consistently. The games and lies are what drive me nuts. BTW, are you getting any more 675LT spider allocations?
Old 07-29-2016, 02:41 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Another benefit of local (or at least loyal) customers - they are likely to trade the car back to you for the next one. That's one reason my dealer likes me - they usually get to sell my car at least twice - once to me and then again to the next guy! If a car vanishes out of state, they get to sell it once. Yes, there are exceptions of course. They also have a bunch of out of state customers who ship their cars back here to trade for the next one.

Your best business model is probably to just sell everything to mooty!
Old 07-29-2016, 02:47 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CHADW
1. Always sell at MSRP.
2. Locals should be priority but ultimately whoever grosses the dealer the most profit should be highest priority - my ten purchases from FL this year should rank higher than your neighbor's two - this is also interesting because collectors make you less money than constant traders
3. You get first right to all cars when customer ready to trade/sell to resell at market price and split profit 50/50 with customer (half of $ over msrp on resale)
4. One car of each model for each customer, unless something weird happens like car comes in wrong color, etc
5. Customer sells themselves, stops buying other cars, etc, they are off list
Number 3 would result in me never being a customer, unless of course they want to split depreciation 50/50 and give me 50% off servicing costs, split insurance etc. They're not taking any of the risks of ownership, why should they have a right to any profit?
Old 07-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

I would suggest to just stick to a real list @ MSRP. First come first served. No matter if the buyer is local or out of state. I would come back to you and trade for a new one if the expereince with the first deal was good. Why should I look for other places? If you happen to get something really limited like 918/991R etc. I would first call the most loyal customers with a history and if they refuse would open a list. As for flippers, I think they can be pretty easily identified after the first sale.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:49 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RajDatta
Whatever your business model, wish you the best. Would love to do business with you some day. You seem like a true car guy.

Good luck
+1
I would say he is definitely a car guy. He seems to spend way to much time on this site like I do. It's an addiction
Old 07-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

I think trying to have a rigid list is too constraining and a setup for problems and hurt feelings. Some weight should go to first ordered but that just results in many people getting on multiple dealer lists for everything good forever. I imagine it will be difficult until a good customer relationship that works both ways can be established.

I think an un-ordered list of requests with an honest opinion of their chance of getting the car would be what I would try. If my dealer tells be there is a guy that bought 5 cars from him over the last few years is ahead of me then I could accept that. I also think that even a good client who comes in very late shouldn't push others who have been waiting for a year.

I also think that most will service their cars at one of the closest dealers. A bit of a captive audience with a smaller dealer network manufacturer so that will mostly take care of itself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Theoretically- A waiting list