Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theoretically- A waiting list

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:43 AM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest maintaing a list, first come first serve to any repeat customer regardless of where they reside, and sell GT cars at MSRP to those customers. You will build a much broader customer base that will call on you to purchase other models as well. People that live in stealership states will become some of your best and most frequent customers for a variety of models or brands.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:45 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by wvick
I suggest maintaing a list, first come first serve to any repeat customer regardless of where they reside, and sell GT cars at MSRP to those customers. You will build a much broader customer base that will call on you to purchase other models as well. People that live in stealership states will become some of your best and most frequent customers for a variety of models or brands.
that's the plan.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:21 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Ditto.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:51 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

CA is the capital of stealerships, including the #1 stealer.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:42 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

^^^^ This and nice big premiums for flippers!!! No MRSP for them regardless how regularly they buy... They just ruin the Porsche experience for genuine enthusiasts
Old 07-29-2016, 08:25 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

CJ have you contacted Porsche to be notified of any open points in future. I'm sorry I don't know much about your history but either get a partner that has a proven track record with Porsche already (market efficient, CSI scores high, etc etc you know the deal) that you can get in door with Porsche. Open points aren't easy to be awarded at all considering your competing against multi Porsche dealership proven applications. Other alternative is to find a small store to buy out and prove yourself in performance and getting the next open point might be easier. I know you know all this above already but if you need a list of proven potential partners (that have or do currently own stores that might be open to idea) to make contact with let me know and I can help.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:42 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Take great care of your core base of customers. Ensure local sales to increase returns for service. ( You need to keep the lights on)
Agree with the mention of "first-come-first-Served"
Dealer principle should be #1 on your list ( You're a car guy..!!! )
Old 07-29-2016, 09:01 AM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't think there's anything wrong with you being #1 on your own list. Your a car guy and deserve it. Also, I would do first come first serve at msrp for local customers with 1 caveat. If they sell the car within the first 3 months(or whatever timeline you seem fit) they need to sell back to you at msrp. So, you can sell it to the next customer at msrp. I'm all for capitalism, but it should fair. Just as you are trying to be fair, flippers shouldn't be allowed to buy...
Old 07-29-2016, 09:02 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Offer loyal, repeat customers first crack based on a list with down payment at msrp, preferably locals. In my industry the #1 feature is service, service, service your customers with the purchase and maintenance.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:12 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

#1: There's no such thing as local when selling +$150k discretionary product.

#2 There is such a thing as relationship building and that's what I'd focus on.

I know plenty of guys who've purchased multiple high-end cars from the same dealer +1,000 miles from their location and they've done it because the dealer treats them well.

Better to focus on building relationships because:

#1: most dealers plain suck at it, which will give a major competitive advantage over time and,
#2: restricting your focus to locals will ultimately restrict your growth and lead to animosity when you try to play both sides of the local-only vs growth equation.

Remember it's not the cars, it's the people.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:55 AM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Lists are the automotive equivalent of camping out at Best Buy. What is early enough?
What rules do you have for a list? Can someone give $10k to be #1 for the 960, whenever that comes out.
You're going to end up with undesirable customers at the front of your "list", and genuinely good guys left out in the cold.

Build relationships, you'll know who would buy a car if one was available. (I mean, when you're tight with your customers, they're not only going to call you when they want something) and sell those cars to who you feel like, with no drama.

If we were tight, I wouldn't be offended if I didn't get a special run car. Because I know if you could, you would. And you're not going to bypass me, a good customer, for a one time whale.
That's how it works for me and my dealer now...
Old 07-29-2016, 10:08 AM
RBH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's a great idea to put your own name at the #1 spot on the list. Marketing-wise it would be better that 'regular' customers can have a #1 spot on your list. Let them spread the word and generate a positive vibe/loyal customer base.

You can, however, make sure you're on the list it self with a granted allocation of that specific P-car. That way you always have a nice 'marketing instrument' at your disposal (and by that I mean the dealers parking lot).
Old 07-29-2016, 10:10 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by lumber
Lists are the automotive equivalent of camping out at Best Buy. What is early enough? What rules do you have for a list? Can someone give $10k to be #1 for the 960, whenever that comes out. You're going to end up with undesirable customers at the front of your "list", and genuinely good guys left out in the cold. Build relationships, you'll know who would buy a car if one was available. (I mean, when you're tight with your customers, they're not only going to call you when they want something) and sell those cars to who you feel like, with no drama. If we were tight, I wouldn't be offended if I didn't get a special run car. Because I know if you could, you would. And you're not going to bypass me, a good customer, for a one time whale. That's how it works for me and my dealer now...
You hit it on the head. Tightness and communication pipeline are why my top 10 guys are who they are right now.

My situation will only be limited by my allocations. If enough people petition for me, I'll get more allocations. If enough repeat customers step up and order GT3 type cars, i'll get more allocations.

Also, I can take care of people on their used car search- lets face it an RS doesn't slow down after 2-10k miles.

Last, I've been working on Project P for about 12 years so my relationships cannot just be wiped away by one whale.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:38 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Your *** is on the line, with tens of millions or more invested. The next ugly downturn could happen at any time. That's why you go to the front of the line.

Everyone else...repeat buyers first, local preference, flip a car and you go to the back of the line.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:55 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Most businesses thrive by repeat customers and taking care of them.

The one shot type of buyer doesn't garner long term success. Sell some random guy from across the country a car, you make a quick $20K for example. Your local repeat buyer could be worth $100K+++ in profits over the next 5-10yrs.

Which would you choose??

The issue of the uneven GT allocation process is another story. Many enthusiasts not living in "hot" markets and their local dealers just don't get cars. In that case, establish a long distance relationship with a higher volume dealer?

Quick Reply: Theoretically- A waiting list