Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Audi R8 v10 plus vs GT3/RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 03:37 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

About 2 weeks ago, I picked up my 2017 R8 v10 Plus. Ordered it back in Feb. Thank you Circle Audi! I sold my GT3 and got this to try something new. I absolutely love it. R8 is significantly better vs. GT3 for street driving. The V10 is a monster. Sounds magical.. deep and throaty in the meat of RPM range; gargles on decel and is a raspier wail at hi-revs.

The acceleration is noticeably faster vs. my 991 GT3. The AWD provides serious confidence for street driving.. i feel way more comfortable pushing the R8 on street vs. my GT3/RS' of the past.

it's interior is significantly more refined and luxurious vs my 991 GT3. the technology inside is impressive; it must be the show car for VW-group's future technology and driver-focused layout. the sound system is amazing as well; which we all know P-cars have horrible sound.. it even has WIFI.. it's a major step up vs. Porsche. And the steering wheel is unreal.. it's small; and has all controls for the car.. it's really next-level stuff.

How it drives and acts is very customizable. in comfort mode; it could be a daily driver.. subtle/compliant ride; seamless shifts and very quiet inside and out. In "Auto mode"; it adapts to your driving style; sort of a step up vs. comfort. In dynamic mode; it's a snarling beast perfect for spirited street driving and in Performance mode; it's even more raw for the track. it has 3 traction/ESC settings.. on, which is quite intrusive if pushing the car; off-sport.. which allows quite a bit of slip.. i use this on the street.. and full OFF for track. On-sport would be good for track as well. in all modes; you can open exhaust for more sound.. but only in dynamic/performance modes does it crackle and snarl; but in comfort/auto it does make it noticeably louder; but not as raw sounding vs. dynamic/perf.

I will concede though; if i was looking for a car to be used mostly on the track; i would not get the new R8.. but would have gotten an RS. But for me; these days; I may track 1-3 times per year.. i mostly drive on street.. and in this regard; it's way better for my purpose vs. GT3/RS.

However, with a couple tweaks; it could be an epic street/track toy.. i did get the carbon bucket seats; but they don't have holes for the between-the-leg part of harness; it does have the slots for the shoulder belts though; so would be a 4-point harness vs 6. GMG does have a harness bar.

If tracking a lot; i would replace the ceramic rotors with steel, use racing brake fluid and pads. it also would need better tires; it comes with P-Zeros.. which do offer better wet traction for street. I would get Trofeo R's and a good alignment/setup to eliminate any understeer. with those things; you could actually have a car that would be fun on the street and a beast at the track... I will most likely do all of these things if find the time to track more.

Overall; I am very impressed with it. much more than i was expecting. I can't wait to get it on the track with some GT3/RS'.

I did look at the Macs, F-Cars, Lambos and GT3-RS.. cost/budget was not a factor. I choose the R8 due to my intended mix of mostly street driving with a couple track events a year. I also wanted to be able to beat it up without feeling guilty... and at $200k; was not cheap; but relative to others; a great value.

In short; the R8 is a true super-car that depending on the driving mode; can either be a daily driver or a snarling and raw animal. Kudos to Audi for making the R8. It really is an engineering marvel.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:56 AM
Evo X
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 79 Posts

Not an R8, but one of my friends just traded his 2016 Huracan LP-610 for a GT3RS and finds it to be a much more involving drive.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:54 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Just to make sure you didn't miss it, I'm talking about the AMG GT R not the AMG GT S. You'll need to wait, but I think it could be worth it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...sected-feature
Old 07-18-2016, 07:53 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Asco
I haven't driven the R8, but I do like the sound and looks of the car. It seems that you are really looking into the opportuntity of getting an R8, so why not trading your GT3 for a R8 now and in the near future swapping it to a .2 GT3 or RS? Yes, you will loose some cash, but at least you will experience both worlds. Or just wait for the .2 GT3..
Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Oh, but you can - every time it's getting replaced.

I'm looking forward to where 570 develops further. It would be awesome to have something like a 675LT version of it.

Huracan Superlegerra looks potentially interesting as well, after the 2wd Huracan seems to have addressed some concerns from the original awd version (chances are Superleggera is going to keep building on that).

resale value for Audis especially R8 in Saudi Arabia are horrible. Same goes with McLaren. For me McLaren is not even in sight because i want to buy a new car and the 570S is sold here for 800 whereas i can get an R8 V10 plus brand new for 670-700 big difference in price. I cannot go over 707 that would be my max. So the question is do i do the trade to R8 and love it or do i hold on to GT3 and maybe trade for the next 3 / RS but by then my car will take a hit i believe. I really want to test drive the R8 so if that happens then i will know my decision. A friend owns a 911 GTS test drove the 570 S and said he would not trade, he said for the price difference the GTS is much better. His GTS is the 991.1 FYI

Huracan is also too pricey for me, here it starts at 800 for a new one so built would be 850 and for the Superleggera i can only assume it would be even higher
Old 07-18-2016, 08:00 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Just to make sure you didn't miss it, I'm talking about the AMG GT R not the AMG GT S. You'll need to wait, but I think it could be worth it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...sected-feature
you are right, i thought you meant the GTS but if i wait for the R probably by then the GT3 offer will be off the table. Also from what i have read the R even though it has 577 horses only doing 0-60 in 3.5 and quarter in low 11s, the R8 if you look at MT's latest youtube on it does it almost at 2.5 and quarter in 10.6 i know this is not how you judge a car but in terms of straight line performance there is a huge comparison between the two

i love the R green color though and if i do get the R8 i am leaning for the Green Camo exterior color
Old 07-18-2016, 08:07 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
About 2 weeks ago, I picked up my 2017 R8 v10 Plus. Ordered it back in Feb. Thank you Circle Audi! I sold my GT3 and got this to try something new. I absolutely love it. R8 is significantly better vs. GT3 for street driving. The V10 is a monster. Sounds magical.. deep and throaty in the meat of RPM range; gargles on decel and is a raspier wail at hi-revs.

The acceleration is noticeably faster vs. my 991 GT3. The AWD provides serious confidence for street driving.. i feel way more comfortable pushing the R8 on street vs. my GT3/RS' of the past.

it's interior is significantly more refined and luxurious vs my 991 GT3. the technology inside is impressive; it must be the show car for VW-group's future technology and driver-focused layout. the sound system is amazing as well; which we all know P-cars have horrible sound.. it even has WIFI.. it's a major step up vs. Porsche. And the steering wheel is unreal.. it's small; and has all controls for the car.. it's really next-level stuff.

How it drives and acts is very customizable. in comfort mode; it could be a daily driver.. subtle/compliant ride; seamless shifts and very quiet inside and out. In "Auto mode"; it adapts to your driving style; sort of a step up vs. comfort. In dynamic mode; it's a snarling beast perfect for spirited street driving and in Performance mode; it's even more raw for the track. it has 3 traction/ESC settings.. on, which is quite intrusive if pushing the car; off-sport.. which allows quite a bit of slip.. i use this on the street.. and full OFF for track. On-sport would be good for track as well. in all modes; you can open exhaust for more sound.. but only in dynamic/performance modes does it crackle and snarl; but in comfort/auto it does make it noticeably louder; but not as raw sounding vs. dynamic/perf.

I will concede though; if i was looking for a car to be used mostly on the track; i would not get the new R8.. but would have gotten an RS. But for me; these days; I may track 1-3 times per year.. i mostly drive on street.. and in this regard; it's way better for my purpose vs. GT3/RS.

However, with a couple tweaks; it could be an epic street/track toy.. i did get the carbon bucket seats; but they don't have holes for the between-the-leg part of harness; it does have the slots for the shoulder belts though; so would be a 4-point harness vs 6. GMG does have a harness bar.

If tracking a lot; i would replace the ceramic rotors with steel, use racing brake fluid and pads. it also would need better tires; it comes with P-Zeros.. which do offer better wet traction for street. I would get Trofeo R's and a good alignment/setup to eliminate any understeer. with those things; you could actually have a car that would be fun on the street and a beast at the track... I will most likely do all of these things if find the time to track more.

Overall; I am very impressed with it. much more than i was expecting. I can't wait to get it on the track with some GT3/RS'.

I did look at the Macs, F-Cars, Lambos and GT3-RS.. cost/budget was not a factor. I choose the R8 due to my intended mix of mostly street driving with a couple track events a year. I also wanted to be able to beat it up without feeling guilty... and at $200k; was not cheap; but relative to others; a great value.

In short; the R8 is a true super-car that depending on the driving mode; can either be a daily driver or a snarling and raw animal. Kudos to Audi for making the R8. It really is an engineering marvel.

Your R8 looks beautiful. Have you seen it in Camo Green by any chance? I am leaning towards Camo Green not matte but metallic with brown diamond stitching inside.

Your post really is of big help. I have never been to a track so if i do end up going it will probably be like 1-3 times a year max just like you probably less but at this point i don't have time to pick up a new expensive hobby

Your post is mostly putting the R8 above the GT3 but in terms of excitement does it do the trick? is the red line at 9000 or like 8500? I read it is at 9000 but when i look at the digital gauge i see it always around 8500 or 8600

When i ask about excitement, i mean how does it compare the awd against the rwd. I know you said the AWD gives you more confidence but does it still give a thrill / enjoyment of driving

Do they have an option from factory to go with Mich Cup 2s? I also like your wheels in that same color but also like the 19' in Titanium but if i did that i would be getting 295 in the back instead of the all mighty 305

I really need to go test drive one to make my decision, hope when i get back from vacation, the dealer has one. Thank you so much for your feedback and if not too much to ask if you can just give me a little more PLEASE

BTW, i was surprised of your interior comment as i think the 911 looks gorgeous from inside. I have not see the R8 V10 plus in person as of yet but on pictures i hate the AC vents in the center i prefer them horizontal like the 911 and not vertical. When i see it on config. or pictures i think of a cheap ricer no offence as i am not judging of seeing it in person and your comment actually got me happy since you are saying it is a step up
Old 07-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
resale value for Audis especially R8 in Saudi Arabia are horrible. Same goes with McLaren. For me McLaren is not even in sight because i want to buy a new car and the 570S is sold here for 800 whereas i can get an R8 V10 plus brand new for 670-700 big difference in price. I cannot go over 707 that would be my max. So the question is do i do the trade to R8 and love it or do i hold on to GT3 and maybe trade for the next 3 / RS but by then my car will take a hit i believe. I really want to test drive the R8 so if that happens then i will know my decision. A friend owns a 911 GTS test drove the 570 S and said he would not trade, he said for the price difference the GTS is much better. His GTS is the 991.1 FYI

Huracan is also too pricey for me, here it starts at 800 for a new one so built would be 850 and for the Superleggera i can only assume it would be even higher
Man, I think you just answered your own question
It seems like you are only considering an R8 instead of your GT3 or you would get an RS if you could get one, but unfortunately you can't get one, so lets not take it into consideration.
As you said, you can do a very good deal now swapping your GT3 for the R8, because if you wait for the .2 GT3 your current one will depreciate anyway, so either way you loose cash.
You never know what happens tomorrow, pull the trigger, get the camo green, drive the hell out of it and if you want the .2 GT3 when it comes out, just do the trade again. Win Win!
Old 07-18-2016, 12:26 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Asco
Man, I think you just answered your own question It seems like you are only considering an R8 instead of your GT3 or you would get an RS if you could get one, but unfortunately you can't get one, so lets not take it into consideration. As you said, you can do a very good deal now swapping your GT3 for the R8, because if you wait for the .2 GT3 your current one will depreciate anyway, so either way you loose cash. You never know what happens tomorrow, pull the trigger, get the camo green, drive the hell out of it and if you want the .2 GT3 when it comes out, just do the trade again. Win Win!
It is very difficult for me to trade without doing a test drive so will try to make that happen once back home
Old 07-18-2016, 05:52 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

"Your R8 looks beautiful. Have you seen it in Camo Green by any chance? I am leaning towards Camo Green not matte but metallic with brown diamond stitching inside.

Laguna_Dude: In USA, the 2017 is first year of new R8. At my dealer; I was the 2nd person to receive one and the first to get the v10 plus. I have never seen one outside of mine. They can do custom colors; i spec'ed mine; but the custom stuff delays order at least 60 more days. I went with dynamic red vs. the more subtle colors available.

Your post really is of big help. I have never been to a track so if i do end up going it will probably be like 1-3 times a year max just like you probably less but at this point i don't have time to pick up a new expensive hobby

Laguna_Dude: Thank you. Many people get GT3/RS thinking they are track rats; but end up never using on track and since you need to rev it to feel the performance; they are not fun on the street and they end up selling it after a few thousand miles... it's smart to have a realistic view of your use and get the best car for that.

Your post is mostly putting the R8 above the GT3 but in terms of excitement does it do the trick? is the red line at 9000 or like 8500? I read it is at 9000 but when i look at the digital gauge i see it always around 8500 or 8600

Laguna_Dude: The GT3 may revs 500rpm more; but it is gutless below 6k RPM. The v10 have way more low-end grunt; but revs just a freely to redline.. the powerband is much wider; so the feeling of pulling hard is longer and the acceleration is hard well beyond speeds of GT3.. after a certain speed the GT3 pulls at a diminishing rate; R8 seems to pull harder longer in RPM range and at much higher speeds. It truly is a level above GT3 in all respects.

When i ask about excitement, i mean how does it compare the awd against the rwd. I know you said the AWD gives you more confidence but does it still give a thrill / enjoyment of driving

Laguna_Dude: On track I love the 911 platform; but for street the Audi is safer and more fun; as you can push it really hard and not lose control. The key is to not lift once it cuts loose; you need to give it more gas so the front wheels can pull you out of oversteer. For street it's the better choice. I am excited to use on track as well; as it will pull harder out of turns and allow to get on gas earlier as well. out of the box; the R8 has some understeer in the setup from factory; with better rubber and aggressive setup; you would have a very balanced and sharp tool on track.

Do they have an option from factory to go with Mich Cup 2s? I also like your wheels in that same color but also like the 19' in Titanium but if i did that i would be getting 295 in the back instead of the all mighty 305

Laguna_Dude: Yes, my dealer did not inform me of that; you can get MP2's from factory; which would be a step up vs. P-Zeros.. Trofeo R's would be step up from MP2s. My wheels came in titanium from factory.. didn't want to delay 60 more days for black wheels. the dealer had them done to save time; I had a legit wheel company paint them. You can do either. The black wheels are a must; IMO. I considered the 19' so I could put hoosiers on them.. but that is only good for track and since I use for street I went with the larger, wider wheels. However, If I was to track the car a lot; I would get the factory 19" wheels as my track wheels and put hoosiers on there. Then put the others back on after for street use.

I really need to go test drive one to make my decision, hope when i get back from vacation, the dealer has one. Thank you so much for your feedback and if not too much to ask if you can just give me a little more PLEASE

Laguna_Dude: I would suggest that and keep us posted on your thoughts.

BTW, i was surprised of your interior comment as i think the 911 looks gorgeous from inside. I have not see the R8 V10 plus in person as of yet but on pictures i hate the AC vents in the center i prefer them horizontal like the 911 and not vertical. When i see it on config. or pictures i think of a cheap ricer no offence as i am not judging of seeing it in person and your comment actually got me happy since you are saying it is a step up

Laguna_Dude: The R8 interior is a massive step up vs the Porsche.. just wait and see when you test drive.. it's so much more liveable for street driving... it's is luxury while being functional and sporty. it's unreal how they nailed it!"
Old 07-18-2016, 06:47 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

I doing Euro Delivery as I write this.
Still have my TTS , going to be my track car, R8 DD.

Last edited by Karl911; 01-31-2021 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:55 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
"Your R8 looks beautiful. Have you seen it in Camo Green by any chance? I am leaning towards Camo Green not matte but metallic with brown diamond stitching inside. Laguna_Dude: In USA, the 2017 is first year of new R8. At my dealer; I was the 2nd person to receive one and the first to get the v10 plus. I have never seen one outside of mine. They can do custom colors; i spec'ed mine; but the custom stuff delays order at least 60 more days. I went with dynamic red vs. the more subtle colors available. Your post really is of big help. I have never been to a track so if i do end up going it will probably be like 1-3 times a year max just like you probably less but at this point i don't have time to pick up a new expensive hobby Laguna_Dude: Thank you. Many people get GT3/RS thinking they are track rats; but end up never using on track and since you need to rev it to feel the performance; they are not fun on the street and they end up selling it after a few thousand miles... it's smart to have a realistic view of your use and get the best car for that. Your post is mostly putting the R8 above the GT3 but in terms of excitement does it do the trick? is the red line at 9000 or like 8500? I read it is at 9000 but when i look at the digital gauge i see it always around 8500 or 8600 Laguna_Dude: The GT3 may revs 500rpm more; but it is gutless below 6k RPM. The v10 have way more low-end grunt; but revs just a freely to redline.. the powerband is much wider; so the feeling of pulling hard is longer and the acceleration is hard well beyond speeds of GT3.. after a certain speed the GT3 pulls at a diminishing rate; R8 seems to pull harder longer in RPM range and at much higher speeds. It truly is a level above GT3 in all respects. When i ask about excitement, i mean how does it compare the awd against the rwd. I know you said the AWD gives you more confidence but does it still give a thrill / enjoyment of driving Laguna_Dude: On track I love the 911 platform; but for street the Audi is safer and more fun; as you can push it really hard and not lose control. The key is to not lift once it cuts loose; you need to give it more gas so the front wheels can pull you out of oversteer. For street it's the better choice. I am excited to use on track as well; as it will pull harder out of turns and allow to get on gas earlier as well. out of the box; the R8 has some understeer in the setup from factory; with better rubber and aggressive setup; you would have a very balanced and sharp tool on track. Do they have an option from factory to go with Mich Cup 2s? I also like your wheels in that same color but also like the 19' in Titanium but if i did that i would be getting 295 in the back instead of the all mighty 305 Laguna_Dude: Yes, my dealer did not inform me of that; you can get MP2's from factory; which would be a step up vs. P-Zeros.. Trofeo R's would be step up from MP2s. My wheels came in titanium from factory.. didn't want to delay 60 more days for black wheels. the dealer had them done to save time; I had a legit wheel company paint them. You can do either. The black wheels are a must; IMO. I considered the 19' so I could put hoosiers on them.. but that is only good for track and since I use for street I went with the larger, wider wheels. However, If I was to track the car a lot; I would get the factory 19" wheels as my track wheels and put hoosiers on there. Then put the others back on after for street use. I really need to go test drive one to make my decision, hope when i get back from vacation, the dealer has one. Thank you so much for your feedback and if not too much to ask if you can just give me a little more PLEASE Laguna_Dude: I would suggest that and keep us posted on your thoughts. BTW, i was surprised of your interior comment as i think the 911 looks gorgeous from inside. I have not see the R8 V10 plus in person as of yet but on pictures i hate the AC vents in the center i prefer them horizontal like the 911 and not vertical. When i see it on config. or pictures i think of a cheap ricer no offence as i am not judging of seeing it in person and your comment actually got me happy since you are saying it is a step up Laguna_Dude: The R8 interior is a massive step up vs the Porsche.. just wait and see when you test drive.. it's so much more liveable for street driving... it's is luxury while being functional and sporty. it's unreal how they nailed it!"

LG - you rock for answering all my questions ... guess what, spoke to the dealer today and he confirmed test car will be in my city by the time i come back or one week after i return.

Where i live i actually can push the GT3 all the time to red line or close to it. Also bec i put the DMS headers and gained a lot of whp and wtq it always pulls i feel. I have always been a die hard 911 fan but the RS seems out of reach.

Will test drive the R8 and see what happens. If i like it more than GT3 will go for it. If not then will either keep looking for RS or just wait till next .3 but i am very excited to test drive one after everything you have said and glad to know i can order it from dealer with cup 2. I know trofeo R are probably even more of a performance tire but on street the feedback i got is they won't last as long as the cup 2. I was very satisfied with cup 2 on my GT3.

PS the camo green is not a exclusive color, it is a metallic no extra cost option. Dealer has your same red in showroom with black interior, has a blue one with red interior and white one with red interior. I would go for the blue if it was not for red interior. My DD has red interior so want a change from that plus my 3 has the red stitching and red gauges red sear belts so i am up for a change
Old 07-18-2016, 08:15 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the new R8 looks even worse than the old one
Old 07-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Karl911
I doing Euro Delivery as I write this.
Still have my TTS , going to be my track car, R8 DD.
Congrats! I love white! Was torn to get white or the dynamite red.. went with red only because my last several cars were white.. that beast looks great! Are you loving it?!??
Old 07-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tqevo
I think the new R8 looks even worse than the old one
it seems to be hit or miss with people. i have seen mine next to old verison and old version looks dated vs. new and I feel the sharper look is more tough looking vs. before.. but it's all subjective.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:54 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

"LG - you rock for answering all my questions ... guess what, spoke to the dealer today and he confirmed test car will be in my city by the time i come back or one week after i return.

Laguna_Dude: Nice! Keep us posted!

Where i live i actually can push the GT3 all the time to red line or close to it. Also bec i put the DMS headers and gained a lot of whp and wtq it always pulls i feel. I have always been a die hard 911 fan but the RS seems out of reach.

Laguna_Dude: Must be nice! CA is crowded and cops are everywhere... rarely do you get an open turn or opportunity to play around.

Will test drive the R8 and see what happens. If i like it more than GT3 will go for it. If not then will either keep looking for RS or just wait till next .3 but i am very excited to test drive one after everything you have said and glad to know i can order it from dealer with cup 2. I know trofeo R are probably even more of a performance tire but on street the feedback i got is they won't last as long as the cup 2. I was very satisfied with cup 2 on my GT3.

Laguna_Dude: Cup 2 should be fine for street. All you would need is a proper alignment/setup and your dialed. If you don't like R8; i would wait until more info on 991.2 3/RS is out.. looks like they are going to be N/A and manual; making the current cars come down to normal pricing levels.

PS the camo green is not a exclusive color, it is a metallic no extra cost option. Dealer has your same red in showroom with black interior, has a blue one with red interior and white one with red interior. I would go for the blue if it was not for red interior. My DD has red interior so want a change from that plus my 3 has the red stitching and red gauges red sear belts so i am up for a change "

Laguna_Dude: That is correct; I was only pointing out that any non-standard customizations will add 60+ days to delivery.. even something as simple as black wheels. i personally do not like color inside; that should be all business.. but that is personal taste. White is a solid color as well.. never go wrong with that!

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 07-19-2016 at 02:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Audi R8 v10 plus vs GT3/RS