Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the 991.2 GT3/RS is a turbo, are you still a buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 08:32 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume if/when PAG goes turbo, many will buy it. It will be significantly better with its power delivery. It won't sound as good of course. I think Porsche could convince its GT followers if they once again, make a significant change. Maybe they use the manual option to lure some, maybe they use some cool aero to lure others (something similar to the RSR hood would have me drooling). No fears. They are good at the GT car game. One of the best
Old 07-15-2016, 02:34 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok this is crazy....stop with 992.2 gt3 turbo talk, it's NOT a turbo. Car has been finalized with specs and design for almost 5 months now. No need to decide what you want to do "if" it is turbo or not because you are wasting valuable energy. It has a NA engine.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Ok this is crazy....stop with 992.2 gt3 turbo talk, it's NOT a turbo. Car has been finalized with specs and design for almost 5 months now. No need to decide what you want to do "if" it is turbo or not because you are wasting valuable energy. It has a NA engine.
Are you willing to say the same holds true for the GT3RS?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

991.2 gt3 is 4.0

Just know that, I realize ta easy for someone else to come along and say 3.8, but uhm.. It's 4.0.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:55 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
991.2 gt3 is 4.0

Just know that, I realize ta easy for someone else to come along and say 3.8, but uhm.. It's 4.0.
We'll believe you, but only this one time Alex. I totally agree.

Last edited by bronson7; 07-15-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:31 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
991.2 gt3 is 4.0

Your level 2 source says 4.0L engine?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:42 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

no, i've had a deposit down for upwards of a year now - i only want a NA car
Old 07-15-2016, 10:42 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Are you willing to say the same holds true for the GT3RS?
Nope not willing to say anything about 3 RS for fear of being shot
Old 07-15-2016, 11:18 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Nah
Old 07-15-2016, 11:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm not in the market for either a new GT3 or RS so I don't have a dog in this fight but I'd like to toss out a couple of thoughts anyway. I'll say first that RL buddy rubbaman and I sat with Hurley Haywood for dinner twice this week at PSDS Masters Plus and had some long discussions about the very subjects being discussed in this thread. Hurley clearly knows more than he is willing to say and gave away nothing specific but our conversation with him led rubbaman and me to some thoughts that you may interpret any way you like.

1. Buy a 4.0 normally aspirated car now if you can. The basically unobtainable 911R is likely destined to be the pinnacle of the NA 911 concept along with, to a lesser extent, the new RS. Let's say you are one of Porsche's "special customers" and you just spent big bucks on a 911R with a NA 4.0 liter and MT. How are you going to feel if your exclusive new baby is matched by a similarly spec'd and much cheaper run of the mill GT3 or RS in a year or two? Would Porsche do that to those customers?

2. Euro regs for noise and fuel economy are becoming ever more stringent and larger displacement high revving NA engines won't meet them. Turbos will. Will Porsche build market specific cars?

3. The technology in the 919 racer wasn't just developed as a one off for racing. The future is in smaller displacement turbos with ultra sophisticated hybrid augmentation. There are apparently Porsche products in the pipeline that will knock our socks off.

These are just a few of the things we talked about with HH. FWIW, we had the chance to do many laps in the new 3.0 liter twin turbo 991.2 at Barber, both PDK and MT, and if this is the future of Porsche and the GT cars, it's not all bad. There is literally no turbo lag and if you didn't know these cars we're FI you probably couldn't tell. Due to some very sophisticated technical wizardry the power delivery is linear and immediate and the cars pull like a train off the corners. They were a hoot to drive on track.

Just some food for thought, with all due respect to the "second level sources".

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-16-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:40 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm not in the market for either a new GT3 or RS so I don't have a dog in this fight but I'd like to toss out a couple of thoughts anyway. I'll say first that RL buddy rubbaman and I sat with Hurley Haywood for dinner twice this week at PSDS Masters Plus and had some long discussions about the very subjects being discussed in this thread. Hurley clearly knows more than he is willing to say and gave away nothing specific but our conversation with him led rubbaman and me to some thoughts that you may interpret any way you like.

1. Buy a 4.0 normally aspirated car now if you can. The basically unobtainable 911R is likely destined to be the pinnacle of the NA 911 concept along with, to a lesser extent, the new RS. Let's say you are one of Porsche's "special customers" and you just spent big bucks on a 911R with a NA 4.0 liter and MT. How are you going to feel if your exclusive new baby is matched by a similarly spec'd and much cheaper run of the mill GT3 or RS in a year or two? Would Porsche do that to those customers?

2. Euro regs for noise and fuel economy are becoming ever more stringent and larger displacement high revving NA engines won't meet them. Turbos will. Will Porsche build market specific cars?

3. The technology in the 919 racer wasn't just developed as a one off for racing. The future is in smaller displacement turbos with ultra sophisticated hybrid augmentation. There are apparently Porsche products in the pipeline that will knock our socks off.

These are just a few of the things we talked about with HH. FWIW, we had the chance to do many laps in the new 3.0 liter twin turbo 991.2 at Barber, both PDK and MT, and if this is the future of Porsche and the GT cars, it's not all bad. There is virually no turbo lag and if you didn't know these cars we're FI you probably couldn't tell. Due to some very sophisticated technical wizardry the power delivery is linear and immediate and the cars pull like a train off the corners. They were a hoot to drive on track.

This makes total sense and I support ^ rational message. I think Turbos are Porsche's imminent future (until hybrids anyway) and no wishful thinking will alter that.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:18 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

As always Mike you got the whole enchilada in a few paragraphs! Sums it up quite nicely!
That was the most fun I've had in a long time.
Of course Hurley said he would tell us more but then he would have to kill us
Old 07-16-2016, 01:31 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

These are just a few of the things we talked about with HH. FWIW, we had the chance to do many laps in the new 3.0 liter twin turbo 991.2 at Barber, both PDK and MT, and if this is the future of Porsche and the GT cars, it's not all bad. There is literally no turbo lag and if you didn't know these cars we're FI you probably couldn't tell. Due to some very sophisticated technical wizardry the power delivery is linear and immediate and the cars pull like a train off the corners. They were a hoot to drive on track.

I tend to agree with you and the above.
However, there is ALWAYS turbo lag. It may be a millisecond but it's there and it drives me crazy on the track.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:10 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

del

Last edited by fxz; 07-16-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:15 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They have to make sound better. New carreras are badly lacking the good exhaust sound. Should be relatively easy to fix.

Quick Reply: If the 991.2 GT3/RS is a turbo, are you still a buyer?