Sponsored by:

RS steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:57 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RS steering wheel

I know there have been a couple of posts on the RS steering wheel conversion for a regular 991 GT3. I had some questions:

1. does someone mind sending the link to the best prior posts? i'm having a hard time finding them. thanks in advance.

2. if one were to choose the leather RS wheel, does the color of the leather match the standard "black" leather of the GT3? i have the black leather dash w/ white deviated stitching and am curious if it's an exact color match.

3. do you recommend the leather or leatherette airbag option? not sure what is standard issue.

4. any downsides you can see from the conversion (i.e., if you have white deviated stitching, that isn't present on the leather steering wheel, so there's a little bit of a matching issue)

thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:11 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
I know there have been a couple of posts on the RS steering wheel conversion for a regular 991 GT3. I had some questions: 1. does someone mind sending the link to the best prior posts? i'm having a hard time finding them. thanks in advance. 2. if one were to choose the leather RS wheel, does the color of the leather match the standard "black" leather of the GT3? i have the black leather dash w/ white deviated stitching and am curious if it's an exact color match. 3. do you recommend the leather or leatherette airbag option? not sure what is standard issue. 4. any downsides you can see from the conversion (i.e., if you have white deviated stitching, that isn't present on the leather steering wheel, so there's a little bit of a matching issue) thanks in advance.
Ken. The wheel is a gateway drug.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:15 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
I know there have been a couple of posts on the RS steering wheel conversion for a regular 991 GT3. I had some questions:

1. does someone mind sending the link to the best prior posts? i'm having a hard time finding them. thanks in advance.

2. if one were to choose the leather RS wheel, does the color of the leather match the standard "black" leather of the GT3? i have the black leather dash w/ white deviated stitching and am curious if it's an exact color match.

3. do you recommend the leather or leatherette airbag option? not sure what is standard issue.

4. any downsides you can see from the conversion (i.e., if you have white deviated stitching, that isn't present on the leather steering wheel, so there's a little bit of a matching issue)

thanks in advance.
You can probably have JPM coachworks help out on stitching issues.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:15 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Sean: this is 100% your fault. For the mere mortals like me who can't get their hands on an RS, it's the only thing I can do. Loved your steering wheel. Me want one...
Old 07-07-2016, 04:45 PM
MBDark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the leather wheel on my RS, and I actually don't like it as much as the wheel on my GT3, the shorter less "clicky" paddles bother me, and they seem to be placed just differently enough to bug my muscle memory. Just thought I would give another opinion... It certainly looks and feels nicer than the Alcantara GT3 wheel though.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

If you want a 991 RS wheel in your GT3 (which is a good call), here is your opportunity to get one for a steal: https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...-retrofit.html

I'm not sure what MBDark is talking about, as one of the main reasons I bought the RS wheel in the first place was the dramatically improved PDK lever feel in the RS wheel vs. the GT3. The GT3 has a long travel, with a bit of a mushy engagement (you can start to move the GT3 lever before it actually registers a press by the software, while with the RS wheel, as soon as the paddle moves it pops to the engagement spot and registers a press).

The RS wheel made my GT3 noticeably more fun to drive on the street than the base GT3 wheel (both for the shifting feel as well as the feel of my hands on the smaller diameter wheel, and the higher quality / more modern look of the wheel itself).

For a leather wheel, you definitely want the leather airbag to match. The leather looks the same as the OEM GT3 leather (my GT3 is platinum stitch as well).

And here is one of the best threads on the RS wheel retrofit: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...e-rs-haha.html

Old 07-08-2016, 04:20 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Mech33: thanks so much. I just sent you a PM. Definitely interested.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:28 PM
MBDark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

I'm not sure what MBDark is talking about,
Think of it as the difference between a trigger pull (soft engagement with hard break gt3) and a mouse click (press and click RS) that was my point.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:06 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MBDark
Think of it as the difference between a trigger pull (soft engagement with hard break gt3) and a mouse click (press and click RS) that was my point.
Got it. But I don't think the GT3 is a hard break... if you pull back with slowly increasing force, you can move the GT3 PDK paddle without it registering. That's the definition of not having a hard trigger break.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:57 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to be overly blunt, but the biggest downside is that you will install it incorrectly and the airbag will not work, in the event of an accident.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:49 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Not to be overly blunt, but the biggest downside is that you will install it incorrectly and the airbag will not work, in the event of an accident.
If you don't connect the air bag property or if any issue is detected in the air bag system, the car will display an air bag light on the dash.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:44 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Have u ever seen how easy it is to install one of these?
Old 07-10-2016, 01:19 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
If you don't connect the air bag property or if any issue is detected in the air bag system, the car will display an air bag light on the dash.
I'm not saying there is a high risk of this happening, but the dealers are not willing to perform this swap, right? Personally I'm not willing to rely on whether a warning light comes on or not after installation. I've had more than a few instances in my driving life where a part failed without displaying the warning light I would have expected before its failure.

Quick Reply: RS steering wheel