Sponsored by:

The German Engineering Mystique

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 06:56 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default The German Engineering Mystique

I grew up in the 60's and 70's, and have fond memories of building high quality WW2 war planes, battleships and tanks, of course blowing them up at some point. I had a 2 foot long motorized Bismark battleship that I lit on fire at night, watching it sink to the bottom of our pool. I have watched countless documentaries on WW2, read books on Rommel and Blitzkrieg, and was always conflicted about it. On the one hand, what a terrible period in history. And the **** party was really messed up. But on the other hand, I was always impressed with German engineering, quality, ingenuity, etc.

A childhood friend's dad brought him a gift when returning from Europe, and it was a very high quality pellet rifle. I believe it was a Beeman. This thing was as heavy as a real rifle, had a strong kick, and was dead accurate. A far cry from my daisy and Crossman BB guns.

Even when I played WW2 FPS games, I always chose the German side, mainly because I thought their weapons were just better.

Over time I grew to believe that German stuff was better. Then I bought a used 300E! What a bucket of bolts that Mercedes was. Anyway, the feeling that Made In Germany was better just stuck with me, and I think the origins link back to my fascination with WW2.

And here I am with enough money to buy a car from any origin. I could have bought a lower end Ferrari, a GTR, an American muscle car, or a Vette. But I wanted German. I wonder how much of that bias towards German engineering is rooted in the opinions I formed while learning about WW2?

I will also add that while the **** party was eff'd up, I was somehow able to separate them from the German people, Porsche, etc. Rommel always really impressed me, as did so many German military minds. Not to mention the impact they had on our space program, etc.

I guess I like German stuff, and those positive feelings started while learning about a very negative period in their history, and ours.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:45 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

Not sure there is any mystique there. Precision is part of a German's DNA. Unfortunately, a sad state of affairs that country is in now
Old 06-27-2016, 08:08 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

po built the elephant during WW11 .............................it was a flop................over budget and under-powered
Old 06-27-2016, 08:37 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My pro-German car bias was cemented when I was a valet in college. I drove lots and lots of cars. The ones that stuck out as awesome were the Bimmers, Benzos, VWs, and of course, the Porsches.

And, on other fronts, my favorite firearms are HK and my favorite chocolate bar, which my wife keeps stocked in my beer fridge, are Ritter Sport bars.

Quick Reply: The German Engineering Mystique