Sponsored by:

Confusing info from Lemans and Goodwood

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 11:11 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Confusing info from Lemans and Goodwood

Amazing time at both events. Lemans with my folks and young boys was just epic. Going to Arnage and Indianapolis at 3am with my boys and watching the sunrise is something I'll never forget. As far as info goes at Lemans everyone seemed to say "yes" to this being the last NA RS ....but I didn't getaway real firm info. I did hear 960 is definitely happening and that it may be raced. Also thought I confirmed new RSR was turbo and midengined. What a finish but I didn't really get any real solid info.
On to Goodwood. This is one amazing auto cornucopia of awesomeness. 911RX2 with a million RS's and other old RS's from 70's. 911R is quite unbalanced and just odd looking to me. It looks like the black GT3 I spotted at Rennsport without its wing that looked odd.
In the Porsche hospitality was AP and his family. So.....here's' what I got. NA RS stays for some time. I asked him in 7 years would an RS be hybrid or turbo. He said that it NOT be turbo. This is in STARK contrast to what I've been told in the past. He again confirmed manual GT3.2. I asked him how they could do the 4.0 with its "919 unobtanium crank" price in the .2. He told me that crank is expensive and intimated the 3.8 stays. He also told me firmly that the new RSR is NOT turbo.
Something also very very interesting that I asked him about F vs G engines. He told me F and G is totally fine. He did spend 2-3 minutes on explaining to me that the F engine DLC oiling issue happens more at low revs and city driving. He told me to track the **** out of the car and you'd "never" see problems.
Thats all I got.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:43 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Plans may change

point is

(apart product positioning driven
by marketing understanding Nostalgia (991 R)
selling potentiality )

how to make competitive for such a long 7 years
an NA RS vs Ford GT and Ferrari 488

only alternative is NA Hybrid

which is something that I would extremely love
ultra high rev hitech NA combined with 0 to mid range electric torque

i would really feel the uniqueness driving such a car

purity and modernity at the same time

any turbo would be such an outdated technology
Old 06-26-2016, 11:51 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

This very very clearly seems to be what he was pointing to. I also asked about if the GTE-PRO class would allow for a KERS type entry and he said "lets see".
Old 06-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rosenbergendo well done! Interesting if GT3 stays high revving 3.8. Very interesting with regards AP comment on F vs G engines. I'm inclined at this point to agree the F engine appears fairly robust with a much smaller number of failures reported than the E and some dedicated high mileage track hacks such as Manifold & OrthoJoe cars still holding up fine. However if the issue is in the lower/medium rpm band I guess it will catch up with cars eventually. Good to hear the RS may continue for another full generation as NA. I'd love to see the 960 project move forward...thanks again for your efforts here. Le Mans is an amazing experience but I'm her to get to Goodwood. May shoot for that next year....
Old 06-26-2016, 12:14 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's very odd about the low revs and city driving being problematic. Shouldn't this be a problem with all 9A1 engines then, not just the GT3 E engines? Why lower the redline on the RS? Is he suggesting this is a problem at start up with a cold engine? Any chance you can elaborate more on your conversation? (sorry, I'm not an engineer or anything)

What happens in 7 years must be so unpredictable at this point, even for Porsche employees, and I'd guess no one is allowed to talk about it.

Thanks!!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:22 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

I just asked about E vs F VS G engines and should I worry with my F engine. This is the direction he went with it. Forgot to ask why lower redline in RS and R. Sorry.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
In the Porsche hospitality was AP and his family. So.....here's' what I got. NA RS stays for some time. I asked him in 7 years would an RS be hybrid or turbo. He said that it NOT be turbo.
Consistent with what I've heard and makes sense from a product standpoint; GT3 RS and GT2 RS can continue side-by-side. Ultimately, hybrid filtering down from 919/918 programs to GT series logical as well.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:03 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
That's very odd about the low revs and city driving being problematic. Shouldn't this be a problem with all 9A1 engines then, not just the GT3 E engines? Why lower the redline on the RS? Is he suggesting this is a problem at start up with a cold engine? Any chance you can elaborate more on your conversation? (sorry, I'm not an engineer or anything) What happens in 7 years must be so unpredictable at this point, even for Porsche employees, and I'd guess no one is allowed to talk about it. Thanks!!
It actually made sense to me the whole time. This is what I've been saying since the beginning : THE MOST WEAR IN AN ENGINE(ANY ENGINE) HAPPENS AT COLD START. That's when the oil has drained back into the pan and the only lubrication in the heads is the oil film on the moving parts. Of course,oil gets up in the heads almost instantaneously upon start up,but it is very important to use the correct oil for your climate.
So I still believe to this day,that the DLC coating wear happens at cold start up,but it manifest at high RPMs,when the Variocam is trying to maintain high lift/high duration.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:12 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Aha, thanks neanicu. So I hear you saying all engines should suffer wear (from every time you start the car), but that this wear should not pose much of a risk to the engine at low to mid revs. However once you've had enough DLC wear, it could be risky to rev to 9k, correct? Is AP's point that driving the car in the city is worse only because the trips are shorter and there are more cold starts, compared to long hauls? Is track driving safer because the car doesn't cool off as much between sessions? Or is that part about track driving being safer for the engine not valid? Or is it simply that track dedicated cars see less use in general, or fewer cold starts? I just don't see how revving to 9k on track should be a good thing...
Old 06-26-2016, 01:24 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

He didn't say starts. He said low revs in the city were his exact words.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
Aha, thanks neanicu. So I hear you saying all engines should suffer wear (from every time you start the car), but that this wear should not pose much of a risk to the engine at low to mid revs. However once you've had enough DLC wear, it could be risky to rev to 9k, correct? Is AP's point that driving the car in the city is worse only because the trips are shorter and there are more cold starts, compared to long hauls? Is track driving safer because the car doesn't cool off as much between sessions? Or is that part about track driving being safer for the engine not valid?
I believe there is no definite answer. I think that even Porsche engineers are working on this issue. It seems that the newer GT3 engines have been improved to eliminate or reduce wear significantly. Nobody knows what exactly has been changed. I am certain it pertains to oil delivery,but that's about it. Are they using redesigned heads with better DLC coating on the followers? Perhaps...but it's not definite...
As to driving in the city : stop and go traffic/short trips not allowing the engine to fully warm up/drag racing are the engine and transmission worst enemies...in any car...I don't see the GT3 as an exception. The exception in my mind are the specially designed heads that allow this engine to rev so high. That's when tolerances are SO important,when today's computer control is so accurate/sensitive.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:07 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

It's the same with all GT3 cars from all generations. The lug really hard when you are in a gear too high (which the auto trans almost always does for MPG reasons)

If you lug the engine down below 2k you get piston slop. It's super damaging to the engines. Almost all 911 are the same way but with the new auto trans, surely more people are lugging in 2nd and 3rd gear while creeping around going 10-20mph.

So, put it in manual mode and rev it.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:13 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
He didn't say starts. He said low revs in the city were his exact words.
Thanks.

Funny about the low revs since pdk and the computer attempts to keep the car revving low if you let it go full automatic. I guess it's better for the engine to drive with paddles since I'm never upshifting as early as the little indicator wants.

(still somewhat confused)
Old 06-26-2016, 02:49 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Great info rosenbergendo! Sounds like 3.8 for .2 GT3 + manual, consistent for a while now. Wonder if it gets a small power bump... Next RS (991.2 or later?) = atmo engine + hybrid. GT2/RS soon, wouldn't replace 3RS according to this. Bank account drains faster...
Old 06-26-2016, 03:30 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 146 Posts

Great reporting endo!
AP told you 3.8 and told another member 4.0. It'll be interesting to see the final engine!

Quick Reply: Confusing info from Lemans and Goodwood