Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car Meets and Drives Crackdown

http://ocregister.com/articles/Fcasella-720288-police-orange.html

Careful with those "upgrades".:/
Old 06-24-2016, 02:08 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Stupid to be racing like this on public streets, but it doesn't take much to act badly when a few buddies in fast cars are together. One thing that jumps out about this is the GoPro being used as evidence. I had this same discussion with a buddy of mine a few months ago, and I am not comfortable having them in the car for this reason.

If I do have my GoPro with me, the memory card is erased before I go out, and I am careful not to do anything dumb on camera. Of course, I try not to do anything dumb, period.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I did my first group drive ever (in cars at least) a short time ago and it will likely be my last. Nice group of folks but the ride leader's decision to wick it up ridiculously fast on the straights didn't sit well with me. Needlessly risking a huge ticket, when all the fun's in the corners anyway. And then one idiot almost caused an accident late in the day that would have ruined a bunch of people's weekends. Not for me. When I rode motos I always said, 'friends don't let friends do group rides.'
Old 06-24-2016, 02:43 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

http://jalopnik.com/california-polic...s-a-1782164005

I don't know guys, seems like LEOs overreacting and on a snipe hunt.

As of now, no official report has been filed regarding the initial incident or the subsequent impounds. Though the cars are impounded, they have been seen driven (allegedly quite spiritedly) on at least one occasion by a car owner, under what Orange police officials say was “testing.” Both police and a local tow yard confirmed the impounds, but the Orange County District Attorney declined to comment on the case.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:49 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I did my first group drive ever (in cars at least) a short time ago and it will likely be my last. Nice group of folks but the ride leader's decision to wick it up ridiculously fast on the straights didn't sit well with me. Needlessly risking a huge ticket, when all the fun's in the corners anyway. And then one idiot almost caused an accident late in the day that would have ruined a bunch of people's weekends. Not for me. When I rode motos I always said, 'friends don't let friends do group rides.'
I am with you. Too risky. And someone could be recording it without you knowing they did so. Just not going there.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

We had the opposite problem on our last drive. We were slowing down traffic on the highway trying to get good photos.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:01 PM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
sheesh

Cali does not play!
17 cars.....Hope they all kept their emission components in compliance.

CARB penalties are no joke.:/
Old 06-24-2016, 03:08 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

It still seems fishy that all cars got impounded. The one owner made a statement that he wasn't even there when the accident with the bike occurred. And there would be no need for them to have to "test" the cars. Seems like a bit of overreach by the police department and the judge. But maybe there is something legit, but why wouldn't there be something known after the period of time we are talking about?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:23 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by mwar99
It still seems fishy that all cars got impounded. The one owner made a statement that he wasn't even there when the accident with the bike occurred. And there would be no need for them to have to "test" the cars. Seems like a bit of overreach by the police department and the judge. But maybe there is something legit, but why wouldn't there be something known after the period of time we are talking about?
I agree. They should have been charged for something in a reasonable time frame. Testing the cars is total crap.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

So how did they determine who was a member of the group?

What if I happen to suffer the profound misfortune of driving my desirable, high performance car in the vicinity of an unaffiliated group of strangers who are street racing? Am I risking confiscation of my car through association, however tenuous?
Old 06-24-2016, 04:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i did my share of drives, decade ago. i dont do that anymore. too much attention. too fast. blah blah...
i drive in area i know very well (the roads, the time where there's min traffic, whom else shares the road; cyclist, hikers, cars etc) and sure, i am over the speed limit a bit, but nothing crazy and certainly no triple digit. it's not worth it.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:34 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i did my share of drives, decade ago. i dont do that anymore. too much attention. too fast. blah blah...
i drive in area i know very well (the roads, the time where there's min traffic, whom else shares the road; cyclist, hikers, cars etc) and sure, i am over the speed limit a bit, but nothing crazy and certainly no triple digit. it's not worth it.
I remember the story here where someone on RL was with a group that ran you off the road on your bike Little did they know
Old 06-24-2016, 04:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by CALSE
http://ocregister.com/articles/Fcasella-720288-police-orange.html

Careful with those "upgrades".:/

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/Fca...ce-orange.html

A clickable link
Old 06-24-2016, 04:56 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not the kind of runs I participate in. Do we go over the speed limit, sure as most do but certainly not by much.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:30 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

For "group drives", really only do small groups, known drivers of similar mindset and track experience.

Quick Reply: Car Meets and Drives Crackdown