Sponsored by:

OT: Le Mans 2016

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 01:55 AM
home7271
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Agreed, I'd like to see a little more class and humility. First year car and Toyota had them all covered. Even the mighty Porsche. Porsche as a company handled it with pure class. Lot's of great tweets from drivers, heads of Porsche. There is a great clip of all of Porsche corporate giving the Toyota team and drivers a 5 minute standing ovation in Porsche's hospitality suite...

Oh, and Porsche was soundly handled in GTE PRO and AM. There is plenty of work to do..
Agree with showing class and humility.

Watched many many hours of the coverage. When #2 Porsche came in for the last pit stop with fuel and tire change, it was all over for Porsche. It was going to be a Toyota win and some icing on the cake with Nakajima driving it home... and then the car coming to a stop, just past the start/finish line no less, at the last lap!

You have to finish to win... but to have it snatched away at the last lap of a 24 hour race is just so cruel.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:01 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I saw this movie, and the same thing happened to Ferrari, they were leading and a tire blew, and this guy named Delaney, fought a German guy in a Ferrari and some guy named Larry Wilson won Lemans for Porsche, it as a gulf Porsche
Old 06-20-2016, 02:06 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harsh for Toyota for sure, but it is an endurance race. You make it or you don't.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:28 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/f1-dri...ask-1782290713

Just because you schedule a regular-season Formula One race over the end of Le Mans doesn’t mean that F1 drivers aren’t going to ask about the result. Fortunately, Ferrari driver and four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel thought to ask what happened to the Toyota Le Mans team in the middle of F1’s post-race press conference for Baku.

Vettel had a question of his own when the post-race press conference opened up to the floor for questions:

Sebastian Vettel: Question to anyone: who won the Le Mans?

Off screen: Porsche.

Sebastian Vettel: How did Toyota manage to lose?

Off screen: Last lap.

[Several others from in the crowd chime in to explain; words are unintelligible.]

Sebastian Vettel: [gestures hand across throat] Retired? Noooo. Fuuuuuuuck. Sorry!

I suppose he was just as shocked about that result as we were!

F1's race in Baku, Azerbaijan, was garbage vindictive scheduling at its worst. After Force India F1 driver Nico Hülkenberg’s Le Mans win with Porsche last year, there was a great uptick in F1 names who were rumored to be interested in doing the World Endurance Championship’s flagship race. That is, they were until F1 booked a race in an oppressive dictatorship right on the same weekend, thus blocking F1 drivers from participating.

F1 didn’t even keep its initial promise to start the European Grand Prix after the conclusion of Le Mans, hence Seb’s question.

Sounds like Vettel’s question may have surprised F1 head troll Bernie Ecclestone as well:

1/2 Had a chat with Bernie about Le Mans clash. He believes that not many people will be watching the LM finish...

— Adam Cooper (@adamcooperF1) June 19, 2016

2/2 He seemed a bit surprised when I told him a lot of journos have gone there instead & that websites have focussed coverage on LM24

Bless you and your wonderful interrupting ways, Sebastian Vettel.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:04 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

For those that could not attend LM and did not have either channel FS1 or FS2, there are some great practice and qualifying utube vidoes (in addition to some things posted here) if you do some google searches...some great camera and sound (especially with ear buds).
Enjoy.
ps the Ford GT Heritage video was awesome.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:27 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Well, look who has decided to give LMP1 a go in 2017.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/20/f...#slide-2141315

This should make things very interesting. Not least of which, what drivetrain will they run? Hopefully it's a more home-grown effort than their last LMP forray.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 06-20-2016, 08:58 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing

This should make things very interesting. Not least of which, what drivetrain will they run? Hopefully it's a more home-grown effort than their last LMP forray.
Link didn't work for me. Synopsis?
T
Old 06-20-2016, 09:06 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
T
That is VERY interesting, the story was pulled down. I think they must have goofed. The synopsis was Ferrari is planning on jumping into LMP1 for 2017.

However, if you looked at the now missing spy photos, I'm guessing it is the upcoming LaFerrari Fxx (or whatever they plan on calling it).
Old 06-20-2016, 09:08 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
T
That is VERY interesting, the story was pulled down. I think they must have goofed. The synopsis was Ferrari is planning on jumping into LMP1 for 2017.

However, if you looked at the now missing spy photos, I'm guessing it is the upcoming LaFerrari Fxx (or whatever they plan on calling it).
It was a joke, they got catfished.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:06 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
It's the 24 Hours of Le Mans, not 23 Hours and 57 Minutes of Le Mans.
Originally Posted by doubleurx
Harsh for Toyota for sure, but it is an endurance race. You make it or you don't.
These.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Toyota's Chance To Win Le Mans Spoiled By One Defective Connector

A defective connector on the air line between the turbocharger and the intercooler on the No. 5 Toyota TS050 was to blame for one of the most gut-wrenching losses in 24 Hours of Le Mans history, per a team statement. The technical defect caused a loss in turbocharger control.

The team is still unsure as to why this part failed, and work continues to figure out how avoid a similar issue in the future at their German headquarters. Per today’s statement:

Currently it is not clear exactly why this failure occurred as we have verified the process used to produce the part here in Cologne. Further analysis is required to determine the root cause.

As we saw, the team was eventually able to modify the control settings and restore power to limp through one last lap, but they were unable to complete that lap under Le Mans’ maximum final lap time of six minutes. The car went unclassified for the race as a result.

Had it waited just a few more minutes to fail, No. 5 would have given Toyota its first win ever at Le Mans, and become only the second Japanese entry ever to win the world’s most famous motor race. Ouch.

The team also confirmed that the failure was unrelated to the engine trouble the No. 5 faced at the 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:49 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting. I had thought they ran out of gas.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
F1's race in Baku, Azerbaijan, was garbage vindictive scheduling at its worst. After Force India F1 driver Nico Hülkenberg’s Le Mans win with Porsche last year, there was a great uptick in F1 names who were rumored to be interested in doing the World Endurance Championship’s flagship race. That is, they were until F1 booked a race in an oppressive dictatorship right on the same weekend, thus blocking F1 drivers from participating.
+1
Old 06-23-2016, 05:34 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Ha! I was right. They didn't run out of fuel.

I knew it couldn't have been fuel, as Porsche gave them a golden ticket to splash and dash when the #2 Porsche pitted for fuel a few minutes prior to the final lap.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:27 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/f1-dri...ask-1782290713

Just because you schedule a regular-season Formula One race over the end of Le Mans doesn’t mean that F1 drivers aren’t going to ask about the result. Fortunately, Ferrari driver and four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel thought to ask what happened to the Toyota Le Mans team in the middle of F1’s post-race press conference for Baku.

Vettel had a question of his own when the post-race press conference opened up to the floor for questions:

Sebastian Vettel: Question to anyone: who won the Le Mans?

Off screen: Porsche.

Sebastian Vettel: How did Toyota manage to lose?

Off screen: Last lap.

[Several others from in the crowd chime in to explain; words are unintelligible.]

Sebastian Vettel: [gestures hand across throat] Retired? Noooo. Fuuuuuuuck. Sorry!

I suppose he was just as shocked about that result as we were!

F1 didn’t even keep its initial promise to start the European Grand Prix after the conclusion of Le Mans, hence Seb’s question.

Sounds like Vettel’s question may have surprised F1 head troll Bernie Ecclestone as well:

1/2 Had a chat with Bernie about Le Mans clash. He believes that not many people will be watching the LM finish...

2/2 He seemed a bit surprised when I told him a lot of journos have gone there instead & that websites have focussed coverage on LM24

Bless you and your wonderful interrupting ways, Sebastian Vettel.
F1 hasn't done anything right for decade. It's an effing clown show. Did you see the ghost town that was Baku? I'm about a year away from not caring about F1 at all and at one point it was all I could think of. Now the WEC and sports car racing has ALL of my attention. It has a few issues but it's a much more honest form of racing...

Quick Reply: OT: Le Mans 2016