Sponsored by:

Predicted Depreciation of GT3s

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 05:03 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Predicted Depreciation of GT3s

I know buying a GT3 is not the most financially prudent decision. But disregarding this tenet...=), what do people see as the depreciation curve for the 991.1 GT3 over the next few years?

People in 2013 were predicting 10k drops per year for this car (which does not seem to be the case) as some are going for more than MSRP in certain cases.

Do you guys expect the large amount of engine replacements will result in further acceleration of depreciation?
Old 06-11-2016, 07:35 AM
Marciano
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the short term, IMO the most important depreciation factor will be the 991.2. (Manual, engine with less flaws, body and interior face lift).
On the other hand, there is a significant number of pre owned units on sale that will trend toward competitive prices for prospective buyers.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:41 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People may not accept this, but of all the GT3s in the last 10 years, since 997.1, this GT3 will be the one that depreciates the most. There are multiple reasons for this.

- The E and F engines having significant wear and tear issues. People wont touch these cars out of warranty. They wont be valued as the metzger gt3s (i.e rock solid). Currently the market is filled with people who move from car to car and only drive their gt3 because its the latest gt3. That kind of buyer will not hold a car like this with known engine issues beyond warranty.

- It is widely accepted that the new gt3, 991.2, will have a manual transmission and pdk. The day manual transmission is announced, you will see people flooding the market with pdk precisely because they know the value of the car will go down.

The only thing that may be unique for this car (but I am still not convinced that porsche will abondon this in the new car) is the 9000 redline. That being said, I personally wouldnt buy one right now if it were going for 20-30k under msrp. I dont think I would buy one full stop.

Its one thing to fix RMS or coolant lines or brakes like you do in 997, its another to have this engine blow up on you which you have no protection and no recourse. Its a nightmare situation.

What would help is Porsche extending everyone's engine warranty to 10 years and 100,000 miles for E and F engines.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,924 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Depreciation depends mostly on what's coming in the future and what it will cost, from Porsche and other makes. Need a crystal ball on that one.

Heavily optioned cars will also depreciate more than lightly optioned cars.

Last edited by Manifold; 06-11-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:50 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I track maybe 4 times a year due to lack of time and other hobbies. Ever since I bought the Spyder the GT3 was sitting in two garage. The last couple of months especially with the heavy rain we had I had to put reminders to start it to keep the battery charged. I felt bad to see it unloved. In anticipation of what is coming next. I traded my 2014 GT3 with nearly 7000 miles for a brand new G wagon for my wife. I got exactly what I paid for it. Not a bad deal! Now wife is extremely happy and my next buy ( of which she is not aware) will be guilt free
Old 06-11-2016, 09:55 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Really impossible to know at this stage. Too many variables, including what is in the pipeline, the economy, etc.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:03 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
- The E and F engines having significant wear and tear issues. People wont touch these cars out of warranty. They wont be valued as the metzger gt3s (i.e rock solid). Currently the market is filled with people who move from car to car and only drive their gt3 because its the latest gt3. That kind of buyer will not hold a car like this with known engine issues beyond warranty.
I think it has been proven that the E engines have significant wear issues, but those cars have the extended warranty, and many of them will have new G engines over time. The data so far has not shown the F engines to be problematic. Almost every engine failure recorded here has been E.

I do believe most used GT3's will be resold CPO so warranty for any of these cars will not be an issue.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I have been watching the local exotic dealers in my area and looking at a bunch of cars. (have a deposit on a "possible" gt3 manual, if it is made) most of the dealers are staying away from 991.1 gt3's with the intention they will fall in the next 6 months. Now i hope they don't because it will drive the value of all gt3s and if the new car comes, it will really drive the value of 6sp cars. f430 manuals are almost 2 times the price of similar f1 trannys and i would have to think a similar trend will appear with gt3s Being the f430 is close in price comparing gt3s, currently. we will see
Old 06-11-2016, 10:34 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO, biggest impact will be the price of the 991.2 GT3. It'll be better than the 991.1 and if it's only $5k more, 991.1 takes a big hit, if it is $25k more 991.1 takes a smaller hit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche prices the 991.2 GT3 at $160k+ base and RS at $190k+ base, putting both above the TT and TTS respectively.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:33 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 182 Posts

Are people buying these for investments, or to drive?
Old 06-11-2016, 11:42 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 423 Likes on 251 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DerStig
People may not accept this, but of all the GT3s in the last 10 years, since 997.1, this GT3 will be the one that depreciates the most. There are multiple reasons for this.

- It is widely accepted that the new gt3, 991.2, will have a manual transmission and pdk. The day manual transmission is announced, you will see people flooding the market with pdk precisely because they know the value of the car will go down.

The only thing that may be unique for this car (but I am still not convinced that porsche will abondon this in the new car) is the 9000 redline. That being said, I personally wouldnt buy one right now if it were going for 20-30k under msrp. I dont think I would buy one full stop.

Its one thing to fix RMS or coolant lines or brakes like you do in 997, its another to have this engine blow up on you which you have no protection and no recourse. Its a nightmare situation.

What would help is Porsche extending everyone's engine warranty to 10 years and 100,000 miles for E and F engines.
What Articulated explanation !

But reality is on another side
in facts i ve just sold my F 15' non PTS for 20k over MSRP
as many others as well

so what are you talking about??

regardless .2 GT3
the 991 GT3 .1 or .2 is most likely last NA

and the market is pricing this fact

put a Turbo on. 2 GT3 (or no GT3 if u prefer a GT2 Badge)
and .1 GT3 will skyrocket further
Old 06-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Birel22
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am hopeful that my '16 G engined .1 will fare well when it comes time to do something else. I am thoroughly enjoying it and will likely view depreciation as a small price to pay for the fun. Technology will dictate the better/faster forthcoming gEneration. Always does. Get out and drive!

With respect to the .2, I have struggled with whether or not I would select manual. The 991 generation seems best mated with PDK-s. It really is the best package given the revvy nature and SIZE. I am of the opinion that the 997 is the proper piece of kit for rowing. Jumping back and forth between a friends '07 and my 991, it is clear to me that they are on different ends of the spectrum. If possible, I think adding a 997.2 RS to a 991 paddle car is the answer.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:58 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I've lost track how many used GT3's have hit the classifieds here over the last month. Seems like at least one a day.

Even cars.com has over 100 used for sale. An all time high.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:03 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Pure lottery at this point but the fact is: 991 GT3 (.1 or .2) should be the last NA GT3 and this should be enough to help holding its value.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Are people buying these for investments, or to drive?
I guess if you have to ask about depreciation in the first place ..... Many have bought on the premise that depreciation will be nil. What happens when they're $20-30K under MSRP? Will the short term buyers start dropping like flies when prices drop a bit causing a bit of nervous selling?

Quick Reply: Predicted Depreciation of GT3s