Sponsored by:

Predicted Depreciation of GT3s

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
- For the majority of the cases, the kind of person who buys a used/out of warranty GT3 is the kind of person that you would possibly consider purist/enthusiast/a bit old school.
356 owner: "the 356 is the last true porsche, the 911 is too modern."
SWB 911 owner: the long wheelbase car is too modern.
early 70s: the SC is too modern and heavy
SC: the carrera is too modern, SC was last real car.
carrera: 964 is ugly and doesn't have torsion bars, and ABS is for pansies.
964 owner: 993 is flat and funny looking and doesn't oversteer enough.
993: I have the last air cooled, real porsche.
996 - 997 has PASM.
997 - 991 has pdk and isn't mezger.

You have to laugh at the long history of "my car is the last, true Porsche that will hold it's value, I have a classic and am a true enthusiast, the new car is too modern." Every one of these statements (save the 996 vs. 993) turned out wrong.

Pretty much every porsche has increased in value the last 5 years because of strong dollar inflation and babyboomer disposable income. It's economics and demand, not "classic enthusiasts."

The 991GT3 has the LEAST depreciation out of the box of any modern porsche despite all the modern doodads (which make it wicked fun and way faster by the way).
Old 06-11-2016, 05:39 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marciano
In the short term, IMO the most important depreciation factor will be the 991.2. (Manual, engine with less flaws, body and interior face lift).
On the other hand, there is a significant number of pre owned units on sale that will trend toward competitive prices for prospective buyers.
Yes but until the new 991.2 3s come out the 991.1 3s/RSs will sell for about MSRP and above.

Prices for the 991.1s won't come down till then and it won't be an overnight drop either. Expect the Auto Galleries of the world to charge a 15% - 25% on the plain granny GT3s for the first few yeats. And just forget about the cost on an RS for the 991.2's.

Only Caveat we must see or some of the Porsche Purist will jump ship if a six speed isn't offered. Not talking about the ZF designed 7 speed seen on the the regular 911 models. There must be a 6 speed offering. That and the bump in power... what will the GT3 produce with the next coming? Certain Porsche could make 500 BHP from 3.8L unless they just grandfather the 4.0L motor downward and come up with some fancy gadgets to up the power on the RS. And I wouldn't rule out a front drive electric motor with power recovery. A small integrated KERS system could be easily placed between the engine and Transmission's bell housing, or what have you. While allowing the RS to finally up the RPM to 9500 RPMs. They haven't done the RPM thing even though it is possible. But Porsche doesn't want their cars visiting the tune up shop like someone with a mad foot and a high strung revving Ferrari.

But KERS is just one of many methods of recapturing energy.

Wonder what will happen if the GT2 ever makes it to tbe consumer market. That would sure be one hell on a monster, hopefully kicking out almost 700 BHP. It will have to be a Porsche Statement Car. Like a "Don't eff with us in our price range". For which I only see used Ferrari's and McLaren's circling in the water.

Last edited by The New 911; 06-12-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I don't think providing a manual option for the GT3 will shake up prices the way some are predicting. I was initially very skeptical of the PDK and have done a lot of road and track miles in manual Porsches, but after more than 20K miles in the 991 GT3, I'm sold on PDK as the way to go for these fast Porsche GT cars. I can't recall a single moment in the car when I thought "I wish this thing was manual instead of PDK." The zeal for the manual 991 GT3 cars is there now, but I won't be surprised if the PDK cars wind up selling better in the used market as people increasingly become sold on PDK. Manual has its place, but IMO not so much in these particular cars designed for fast track use.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:21 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Manifold
I don't think providing a manual option for the GT3 will shake up prices the way some are predicting. I was initially very skeptical of the PDK and have done a lot of road and track miles in manual Porsches, but after more than 20K miles in the 991 GT3, I'm sold on PDK as the way to go for these fast Porsche GT cars. I can't recall a single moment in the car when I thought "I wish this thing was manual instead of PDK." The zeal for the manual 991 GT3 cars is there now, but I won't be surprised if the PDK cars wind up selling better in the used market as people increasingly become sold on PDK. Manual has its place, but IMO not so much in these particular cars designed for fast track use.

i guess all the zeal for manual would fade whenever manual would be the majority...
Old 06-11-2016, 06:27 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are lot of people like me, who enjoy track driving with PDK and are not able to track drive with manual at all.

I mean, I'm able to drive MT DD (I grew up in Soviet Union, so all cars had this goddamn nightmare called MT, no exclusions). But I just don't find it safe enough to drive MT on track. I'm too busy with driving there and don't want to be distracted by operating the transmission. I know I'm probably a black sheep and things I say may sound ridiculous for real racers. But whenever I drive on track I'm always fighting my own time. Safety first, but within a safety limit, lap time is all that matters to me on track. PDK is both safe and fast.

If GT3 still was available with MT only, I would drive TTS with PDK instead.

Somehow I believe there are many (younger) guys like me, who are not attracted by MT, air cooling, The Beatles etc. Therefore I think re-introducing MT GT3 will not kill a demand form PDK GT3. I can be wrong.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

seems like an even mix of pessimism with optimism on value retention..=). I was attracted to the 991.1 due to the 997 reliability, but this seems to be up in the air unfortunately. I fully intend to track my car, but don't want to have to deal with the headaches. Sigh..tough decision.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:17 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Are people buying these for investments, or to drive?
I wonder myself, you would think some are hoping they have the next Ferrari 250GTO???? I must take deep breaths when I read every thread about resale value???? Drive the snot out of darn car, if you need the money that bad you shouldn't be buying 150k cars. My prediction is the 991 GT3 will be worth 0 when I'm done with it.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:28 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

fun to speculate...we'll see in 6 months.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Drive the snot out of darn car, if you need the money that bad you shouldn't be buying 150k cars. My prediction is the 991 GT3 will be worth 0 when I'm done with it.
That strikes me as a good way to look at it. Mentally write off the money spent as a price paid for enjoyment, drive the car as much as you want, and then if you sell the car one day and get some money for it, that's a bonus.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Marciano
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive how powerful is our mind. Everyone in here have a way to justify why you don't care about the depreciation or how smart you are waiting for the perfect day to pull the trigger.
Either way I can only predict that there will be no agreement. Only time will tell.
In the mean time lets keep driving the GT's
Old 06-11-2016, 10:12 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
356 owner: "the 356 is the last true porsche, the 911 is too modern."
SWB 911 owner: the long wheelbase car is too modern.
early 70s: the SC is too modern and heavy
SC: the carrera is too modern, SC was last real car.
carrera: 964 is ugly and doesn't have torsion bars, and ABS is for pansies.
964 owner: 993 is flat and funny looking and doesn't oversteer enough.
993: I have the last air cooled, real porsche.
996 - 997 has PASM.
997 - 991 has pdk and isn't mezger.

You have to laugh at the long history of "my car is the last, true Porsche that will hold it's value, I have a classic and am a true enthusiast, the new car is too modern." Every one of these statements (save the 996 vs. 993) turned out wrong.

Pretty much every porsche has increased in value the last 5 years because of strong dollar inflation and babyboomer disposable income. It's economics and demand, not "classic enthusiasts."

The 991GT3 has the LEAST depreciation out of the box of any modern porsche despite all the modern doodads (which make it wicked fun and way faster by the way).
That sums it up quite well. Porsche enthusiasts are Luddites that hates technological progression.

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 06-11-2016, 10:13 PM
991 GT3
Racer

So much talk about this. Shouldn't buy if you can't afford even if it depreciated like a TurboS. I love the car and didn't invest. Bought to enjoy. Whatever the future holds, so be it. I live in the moment. Might not be here next year.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:26 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Long term all drive-it-yourself car values are screwed.

We're ~10 years away from cars that drive themselves full-time.

We're ~20 years away from laws being passed making cars that don't drive themselves being banned from public roads because John Q. Porsche-owner smashed into the side of Louisa and her three kids on the way to school and if iGoogle was driving that wouldn't have happened.

People with substantial multiple car collections should probably get out while we're at the crest of the ICE-auto bubble. I'm trimming back to one daily driver G-Wagon and one toy.

Last edited by destaccado; 06-11-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:56 PM
MBDark
Advanced

I guess you can use me as a case study, I think I have the highest milage 991 GT3 for sale. 36k miles, currently at 138,000 on a 152,000 build.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:56 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^^ nice, how can you beat all that fun for only $2.57 a mile

Quick Reply: Predicted Depreciation of GT3s