Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the real risk of driving around with no plates?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv800
Why is everyone here acting like its some heinous crime, when 90% or more here have no front plate. Its literally the exact same crime in states where front plates are required.
It's literally not. Since the rear plate carries the registration tags it's not at all the same as driving without a front plate.

The LEO gave you a break today. Let us know what happens if the same guy happens to stop you again; I doubt he'll forget a yellow GT3.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:29 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's literally not. Since the rear plate carries the registration tags it's not at all the same as driving without a front plate.

The LEO gave you a break today. Let us know what happens if the same guy happens to stop you again; I doubt he'll forget a yellow GT3.
In Texas, registration tag is on the windshield, thus, it is the exact same infraction as no front plate. There is no discrete infraction that differentiates which plate is missing.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:52 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Marv you do realize having no plate is a 100% reduction from having just one. Right?

You also realize there are numerous reasons for requiring a license plate, correct?

What if you start a fad and every decides to "Marv" their car by removing their plates. You ok with that? or should this special privilege be reserved for you alone?

Btw have you ever posted a topic that's actually Porsche related?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:36 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
All Of What you say is probably well meaning, but totally speculative. Many drive around wth no plates and penalties enforcement vary by state. I've had no plates on my apyder since Jan and have had CHP behind me various times with no consequence. I did get a parking ticket for "no front plate displayed".. Nothing about rear strangely, so I screwed on my millworks front, took a pic and mailed it in. it's back off the car for now.
Eventually they will figure it out.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv800
In Texas, registration tag is on the windshield, thus, it is the exact same infraction as no front plate. There is no discrete infraction that differentiates which plate is missing.
Except from a law enforcement perspective, the cops seem to be a little more concerned about rear plates than front one. Probably something to do with the fact that people don't typically run away from them in reverse.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:30 AM
NeverIn6th
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In most of the NorthEast, driving with no plates (but valid registration) will generally incur the same ticket as no front plate (Improper Plate or equiv). Fines will usually be on the lower end. You don't really run risk of anything beyond that.

No valid registration will risk impound, unless you have some compelling argument - basically just purchased car and taking it home.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

MARV, any updates with the POPO??
Old 06-28-2016, 10:54 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 957 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
MARV, any updates with the POPO??
Hah! Maybe it's hard to post on Rennlist from the slammer.

<_CFXNotificationTokenRegistration: 0x17ead7c0>
Old 06-28-2016, 11:59 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

M A R V

I mean it's just a license plate. The car looks better without it. Ask my Rennlist buddies. You guys just don't get the Porsche thing. I can't be in here with some 6x DWI guys. I don't fit in here. One guy is starting to call me MARY with a sparkle in his eye. Help RL guys!!

Quick Reply: What's the real risk of driving around with no plates?