Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the real risk of driving around with no plates?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv800
I'm talking about not having a front or rear plate.
So, assuming your location info is legit, the fine in Texas for not having either a front or rear plate is potentially $200 per the article below....

http://www.dallasnews.com/investigat...-200-fine..ece

As to a 40 year old with a GT3 who lives in a college dorm, has little money, dates 20 year old women, and trolls car forums on the side, I don't know what to say....
Old 06-03-2016, 08:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Here's Marv's quote from last June:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7722...et-or-not.html

I don't really have an opinion on whether my Porsche attracts women or not, nor do I care. I do know that I've gotten my fair share of "thumbs up" from women and men: probably equally.

What gets me, is all the reponses here that equate to, "why would you want to be with a woman that only likes you for your money/car/perceived wealth?"

See I'm a happy bachelor with no intent of getting married or having children, or quite frankly, being in a serious relationship. Like all men, whether they admit it or not, like to fornicate with attractive women.

So a couple years ago, I was dating a girl about 1/2 my age and smoking hot at 20 years old. I was having a great time, and she was too. Well, a close female friend of mine commented to me, (presumably in an effort to save me from a situation she perceived was bad), "you know marv, she's only sleeping with you because she thinks you have money." Nothing about her comment surprised me. My response to my friend was, "Okay. I guess we're even because I'm only sleeping with her because I think she's hot, what's the difference and who cares?"

My friend was dumbfounded, and I don't know why. A spade is a spade.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:02 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

The very best trolls, dont even realize they're doing it... I bet Marv is dead serious, which is what makes the posts so good

Last edited by CAlexio; 06-04-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:28 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I bet Marv is dead serious,
Except the "driving to work" part.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Liter
In Litchfield County , CT I doubt you could drive more than 5 miles w/o being pulled over without a FRONT plate - can't imagine no rear . I remember very clearly being pulled over for no front plate 2 miles from picking up a new car .
That's interesting. I've been driving in New London County CT for the past year and 3 months with no front plate on my A4 and haven't gotten a second look from the cops.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
As a friend of marv's for many years, I can confirm that he does in fact have a GT3.
WHAT? You say Marv is real, owns a GT3, and actually has friends??? That's the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen posted here....

TT
Old 06-07-2016, 02:49 PM
RickyGT3
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread is hilarious
Old 06-20-2016, 08:07 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got pulled over today. When I showed the officer my plate, he just asked me to mount it so I don't get pulled over again. He was very friendly, no hassle.

Clearly, this isn't a law that law enforcement takes seriously. Now considering de-plating all my cars.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Marv, why stop at no plates? Have you thought of other things like insurance and income taxes? Just keep paying state taxes since California is farked.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:31 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Marv, why stop at no plates? Have you thought of other things like insurance and income taxes? Just keep paying state taxes since California is farked.
I'm not looking to screw anyone over here or get myself sued.

Why is everyone here acting like its some heinous crime, when 90% or more here have no front plate. Its literally the exact same crime in states where front plates are required.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:36 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Hi Marv.
Sup Bro?!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

I'm not looking to screw anyone over here or get myself sued. Why is everyone here acting like its some heinous crime, when 90% or more here have no front plate. Its literally the exact same crime in states where front plates are required.
90%??? Marv, all the cool kids are doing new math, now.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:02 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Finally got pulled over today. When I showed the officer my plate, he just asked me to mount it so I don't get pulled over again. He was very friendly, no hassle.

Clearly, this isn't a law that law enforcement takes seriously. Now considering de-plating all my cars.
Cool

You might try these other ideas to get more attention from cops:
1) leave a toy gun over the dashboard;
2) use an empty can of Budweiser as your water bottle (make sure cop see you drinking while driving);
3) attach a disco ball to each wheel;
4) glue down some bottles of Scotch on top of the rear wing;
5) attach a trombone to the exhaust tips;

Good luck
Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Will stink once you start getting tickets. Police officers talk to each other. You'll be labeled as a habitual offender. The penalties for being a HO may increase based on state statutes. And as long as you don't mind getting pulled over at the most inopportune times, keep doing what you do.

Do you think the car looks that bad with a registration plate?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:47 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
Will stink once you start getting tickets. Police officers talk to each other. You'll be labeled as a habitual offender. The penalties for being a HO may increase based on state statutes. And as long as you don't mind getting pulled over at the most inopportune times, keep doing what you do.

Do you think the car looks that bad with a registration plate?
All Of What you say is probably well meaning, but totally speculative. Many drive around wth no plates and penalties enforcement vary by state. I've had no plates on my apyder since Jan and have had CHP behind me various times with no consequence. I did get a parking ticket for "no front plate displayed".. Nothing about rear strangely, so I screwed on my millworks front, took a pic and mailed it in. it's back off the car for now.

Quick Reply: What's the real risk of driving around with no plates?