Sponsored by:

Money2536's Summary of the Spring GT3 Smokies Trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Money2536's Summary of the Spring GT3 Smokies Trip

This is the summary video I made of the experience. It’s missing some of the best parts of the trip. That didn’t involve cars or driving it was the dinners/lunches and the stops to view mountain vistas. The relationships/comradery are the magic of this event. And to think this all started with a few guys sitting down together toying with idea of having a few cars come up and drive the mountains. Thanks to Sean and Mayur for making the sacrifice so that we all could enjoy all that comes with the gathering of like minded crazies!

Last year's trip to the mountains with 30+ 991 GT3s was one of the best experiences I've ever had. So, this one was sure to be even better with the new RS and GT4 present. Oh…and there just so happened to be 65 total cars in attendance this time!

This year, I was prepared. I’m almost, not quite, ashamed to admit that I goated my wife into “wanting” a Tahoe largely due to my need to have a tow vehicle available. Since I had the tow rig and I fully intend to make this trip to the mountains several times a year (with or without anyone else), I decided to pony up the cash and invest in an enclosed trailer. Other than getting about 9mpg on the trip up, the Tahoe/Trailer performed flawlessly.

I intended to drive up Wednesday to join the early arrivers at Atlanta Motorsports Park, AMP, for a day at the track on Thursday. My wife and kids decided to come with me this year, so I waited and drove up a day late. I’m not much of a track guy anyway, so it all worked out. We dumped the trailer and family at my brother-in-law’s house in Atlanta. They spent the night there and met me at The Ridges the day after.

When I arrived at the hotel this was the scene. I don’t care who you are, it’s a pretty cool site to see, car guy/girl or not.

We started the next day at about 9AM at AMP. This is a super tight, technical track, so I was sure to jump in on the driver’s meeting to make sure I knew what was going on. After hearing all about the track and missing who was my instructor, I was pretty sure I was just going to watch and maybe just do a ride along.

I jumped in the passenger seat of Hugh’s Ultra Violet RS to get a feel for both the RS and the track. Yikes! This made me even less excited about getting behind the wheel in my car on the track. AMP is very is a combination of pretty much every difficult turn, change in elevation, and every other trick in the book. But I decided I’d do a few laps just to say I did it. Stress just induces anxiety with me, and the violence and speed of having my car on the track just amplifies it in me. So I decided a while back that I’m not going to force myself to do something that isn’t fun for me.

F1 driver Leh Keen was at the track giving people ride alongs in his 4.0 997.1 RS. Needless to say, I didn’t feel the need to get in the passenger seat.

While I was at the track GMP Performance was kind enough to swap wheels for me. After this event, Sean was selling his Riviera GT3. He needed some clean Platinum Satin wheels to match the window sticker. Luckily for both of us, I really wanted black wheels. I felt like a real man getting a wheel and tire change at the track.

After spending the morning and early afternoon at AMP. We took the long route, about 3 ½ hours up through Wolf Pen Gap to The Ridges resort in Hiawassee, GA.

Saturday morning we got up early to head over the Heaven’s Landing airstrip. What a cool place. I know these cars aren’t built for top speed runs, but they certainly hold their own.

My son wanted so badly to go do the “twisties” in the mountains in his favorite car. I didn’t feel comfortable bringing him out with the group, so he and I headed out of the mountain together. If he is anything like his Daddy. He’ll remember this one.

This year was even better than the last. I can’t wait to to head back to the mountains in the fall!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:28 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Great pics and story.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:09 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice Matt. Thanks. Great to meet you; great to follow you!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:18 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for sharing
Old 06-01-2016, 02:26 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the share. I was looking fwd to going and then was left with the prospect of going alone so I just stayed home. Maybe next time-
Old 06-01-2016, 04:12 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing it with us, so those of us who weren't there could go on this journey with you after the fact. Great cars, great roads and great sounds! I really enjoyed the videos and the commentary.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great summary Matt - thanks for sharing.
Just out of interest did you do any timed runs at the air strip? If so I was wondering if your extra 30-40 Dundon ponies made any noticeable difference to times/speeds?
Old 06-01-2016, 12:30 PM
abcut973
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like you guys had fun!
Great job sharing those pics/vid money
Old 06-01-2016, 08:07 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What an awesome thread Matt. Once again, great pics.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:31 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow..... fast and fun crowd.
Thanks
Old 06-01-2016, 09:51 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

What a fun event. When is it next year? I don't want to miss this event.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:05 PM
mykalz71
Advanced

Great write up Matt. It was great to meet you. Would like to have chatted a bit more.

Mike
Old 06-01-2016, 10:33 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
What a fun event. When is it next year? I don't want to miss this event.
It will be in mid April next year. More details to come. We had some gatecrashers in the spring so we have to manage it a little differently next spring. It is, however, ridiculously fun!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Kodoc
Advanced

Great story and pics Matt. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
Old 06-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Tre
Racer

Great video as always Matt! I've always been gun shy about making videos, but now I wish I would've just run the GoPros throughout the event to capture what is definitely one of the most unique and amazing gatherings I've seen put together for one particular segment of a marque. I can only imagine what the 2017 event is going to be like...~10 months to go!

Quick Reply: Money2536's Summary of the Spring GT3 Smokies Trip