Sponsored by:

Finalizing RS Spec, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Finalizing RS Spec, need help!

I'm about to have my 991 RS locked in and am trying to decide what options to go for...Some people say it's good to get certain things for resale (eg. SC) which I find could be useless. I'm planning to use the car on track & mountain roads, not daily or commuting use. But I suppose resale (one-day) should be a consideration.

1. Does Sports Chrono do anything useful for performance? My dealer says that it gives you launch control at a higher RPM?

2. Does the full leather interior weigh much? I assume it's just stuck on top of the normal plastic dash...or does it exist instead of the top soft-touch layer of plastic?

3. I'm seriously thinking about going for radio delete & lithium ion battery. I never listen to the radio in my 997.2 GT3 anyway, my question is though - is there enough sound from the engine/transmission at idle to make the car sound like something is going on when idling at lights and in traffic?

4. Would taking out the radio affect resale potentially? In Aus, CDR is standard but I noticed a lot of cars have PCM here...I never use nav in my other cars so I'm not willing to pay $7500 for it here.

5. Light design package - does anyone have photos of this? Is it worth getting?

6. Anything else worth getting to save weight? The cars here come standard with CS roll cage, 918 seats etc...Won't get PCCB though as I want the steel rotors for track.

I've changed my configuration about 10 times already, bloody tough to decide what's best!
Old 05-28-2016, 02:11 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Let me take a stab at the areas I am familiar with.

1. I got it but can't see much use other than the clock. On standard cars, it makes more of a difference but not on RS

2. I had asked the same question but could never get an answer. My guess is a couple of pounds at the most but it looks very nice. I didn't have it in my GT3 and I prefer with it

3. I was thinking the same and ended-up taking the radio, figuring I could always remove it after to save 20 lbs but have it for resale. I ordered the Li-Ion battery and I'm happy with it though not with the way it gets delivered - you have to get it installed after, which is annoying

4. Yes - see above

5. Didn't order but many people are disappointed with it and say it has no value

6. PCCB - I also track and love them; great feel and modulation, thermally stable, no dust, don't squeal too much and you save 28 lbs
Old 05-28-2016, 02:18 PM
maximus136
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

basically put everything premium on it....you never know what the next owner might want.......if you'e tracking the car then steel rotors make no sense, steel makes sense for the street as they warm up quickly which ceramics wont do..but for track use ceramics were developed for that!!
Old 05-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Jono809
Instructor

Originally Posted by alaint101
Let me take a stab at the areas I am familiar with.

1. I got it but can't see much use other than the clock. On standard cars, it makes more of a difference but not on RS

2. I had asked the same question but could never get an answer. My guess is a couple of pounds at the most but it looks very nice. I didn't have it in my GT3 and I prefer with it

3. I was thinking the same and ended-up taking the radio, figuring I could always remove it after to save 20 lbs but have it for resale. I ordered the Li-Ion battery and I'm happy with it though not with the way it gets delivered - you have to get it installed after, which is annoying

4. Yes - see above

5. Didn't order but many people are disappointed with it and say it has no value

6. PCCB - I also track and love them; great feel and modulation, thermally stable, no dust, don't squeal too much and you save 28 lbs
Thanks, I have been following that other PCCB thread and they seem to be a decent option for heavy track work now. With our taxes they cost the same as an entry level VW Golf though.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Jono809
Instructor

Originally Posted by maximus136
basically put everything premium on it....you never know what the next owner might want.......if you'e tracking the car then steel rotors make no sense, steel makes sense for the street as they warm up quickly which ceramics wont do..but for track use ceramics were developed for that!!
The guys in the Porsche club say that they wear out quickly when tracked and rotors don't last long. I'm very happy with my current Pagid RS29/Girodisc setup on my GT3. It sees 1-2 trackdays a month and the parts have lasted a really long time.

My plan is to keep the car for a while so I'm not that fussed about resale. There's none really for sale in the whole country anyway right now, so it should sell regardless.

I guess the PDK is confusing me when deciding between a stripper setup or premium. It's apparently such an easy car to drive now - I wonder if it makes sense to make it more hardcore? Just thinking out aloud.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:32 PM
maximus136
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

well I'm selling a GT3 at the moment as I'm waiting for my RS.......I've seen very different viewpoints on what the car will be used for........but having everything on it (premium lights, premium sound etc etc) does not hurt......it sends a message you did not shorcut the car, people can always choose not to use the radio but I bet they like to have it...........no need to hardcore a GT3 it can be Mr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with no problem!!!!!
Old 05-28-2016, 02:38 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't skip things like full leather or radio.
You're not making the car hard core, you're making it less desirable. The radio has an off button, seriously.
I had a 987 spyder with ac delete. I got hammered when I went to get rid of that car.
Just my opinion.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:54 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the radio, can always take it out then put it back in if you ever sell it. PCCB's seem to get better resale value. Scrap the SC. Get the leather.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,102 Likes on 5,262 Posts

Get radio

Get sports chrono

Get leather

Get PCCBs

Pass on the light design pkg
Old 05-29-2016, 01:13 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 241 Posts

I do not know if pccb actually increases the value over 9k that you initially pay for the option during resell.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,854 Likes on 2,395 Posts

1. Does Sports Chrono do anything useful for performance? My dealer says that it gives you launch control at a higher RPM?
===> do you like the look? that's the guide you use. launch contrl, higher rpm? the car is plenty fast, dont worry. i dont have it.

2. Does the full leather interior weigh much? I assume it's just stuck on top of the normal plastic dash...or does it exist instead of the top soft-touch layer of plastic?
===> dont worry about wt. these cars are over 3000 lbs. another 50 lbs wont make ANY difference. if you are sub 100 lbs, then maybe you can delete leather. leather has no use, but it is well done and not an expensive option. i have it.

3. I'm seriously thinking about going for radio delete & lithium ion battery. I never listen to the radio in my 997.2 GT3 anyway, my question is though - is there enough sound from the engine/transmission at idle to make the car sound like something is going on when idling at lights and in traffic?
===> i deleted radio. i had them before. i turn them on, i cringe, starting using profanity and turn it off after irritating myself. the quality of radio is bad. lithioum battery is $ for wt reduction that seems pointless, to me anyway.

4. Would taking out the radio affect resale potentially? In Aus, CDR is standard but I noticed a lot of cars have PCM here...I never use nav in my other cars so I'm not willing to pay $7500 for it here.
===> if you are worried about resale, then you should have pcm and radio. b/c too many ppl feel more is better. if you bought the car for yourself, then dont worry. after losing 50k in depreciation what's another 10k? look at the BIG picture.

5. Light design package - does anyone have photos of this? Is it worth getting?
===> if you dont read the manual, you wont know if your car had light design package or not. couple of ambient lights here and there meh..

6. Anything else worth getting to save weight? The cars here come standard with CS roll cage, 918 seats etc...Won't get PCCB though as I want the steel rotors for track.
===> if you want real weight saving (but not particularly meaningful) pccb and li-ion batt. but why? 75 lbs wont make difference. it's better just remove passenger seat and not carry passenger. i only have driver seat.

hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:26 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Thanks, I feel the same way about the radio. I feel bad adding luxuries to the car, the roof travels almost around the world to be 800 grams lighter than a carbon one right? I'd lose that in the morning...

I think I will order how I want and enjoy! Thanks everyone.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:31 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 259 Posts

i just traded in my GT3 I'm not sure my build which was just above bare bones affected resale at all, ie. it had no leather. dealers have told me that the real killer on resale is customization of colors, so once you start messing with the seat belt colors and dash colors because its visual and immediately eliminates part of the target market.

I got all the things you mentioned except the Li battery. its not available anymore on the configurator here in the US!
Old 05-29-2016, 07:34 AM
WazRS
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Fully load it.
Get a Cup.
Wael
Old 05-29-2016, 11:15 AM
bobbyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprised people are still in ordering phase on RS's. Guess in the end there will be plenty to go around.....

EVO just tested an RS - weighed around 3275 lbs with fluids no driver with usual options (ceramics). So yeah don't sweat options based on weight - just get what you WANT.

Best.

Quick Reply: Finalizing RS Spec, need help!