Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 911GT3RS extended production cycle | GT3/GT3RS production volumes since 1999

Old 05-29-2016, 05:01 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
It depends how much they are giving you on your TTS. You already took a hit on that, and your going to take another hit on the RS for sure.

$30k is a good deal for what's around though!
I'm not worried about selling the TTS (I don't have to trade it to get the RS, I would sell it privately). It was a leftover 15 that I bought new from a dealership at $40k under msrp, so the dealer already took most of that first year hit, so I'll loose very little.

But if I understand you correctly, you are saying that if I don't manage to get an allocation for a new RS at msrp, because of the additional number of RSs that are about to be produced, I am going to get hit on the used RS paying $30k over sticker because the existing markups won't hold.

Is that right?

Last edited by soulsea; 05-29-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:12 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
If so I want one but can't find a new allocation at Msrp
Put me in line for that too. I just can't see paying these over MSRP premiums.

Ryan
Old 05-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Again, So there was no or little demand for previous gen RSs? That would surely explain why years later they are still selling for way over msrp.

Soooo, AP is going to pump out more 991RS? When? For '16? Or does that means there's going to be production in'17 and maybe '18? And right along side GT2.? As I said they will be busy and breaking an historical pattern of production at the same tme. historically Porsche shuts down in August as I understand. How many RSs can they produce in two months?

So much for Porsche GT cars being limited production.

I haven't read or heard this "extended production" reported anywhere else such as Porsche dedicated magazines etc... That's curious since this would be highly desired info.

I'm high on my dealer (in top 20 dealers in U.S) list with deposit and have been for some time and still waiting for my dealer to call with my allocation. [/QUOTE]

$245k for a $215k msrp RS is a great deal right now.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:01 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My cleaning lady was just on a break and told me PAG will continue to produce the RS into the 1st quarter of 17.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:24 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
My cleaning lady was just on a break and told me PAG will continue to produce the RS into the 1st quarter of 17.
You have our attention.

Ryan
Old 05-29-2016, 08:32 PM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

Maybe those that were saying everyone that wants one will get one were right after all? It makes sense for them to make more .1 cars. Especially if the next iteration is turbo. They'll sell however many they care to make, it is will all be bonus money for them (every unit they sell beyond what they originally planned to make).
Old 05-29-2016, 08:54 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 259 Posts

There was demand 997RS even in the down economy however prices where more down to earth for such a car as they where sought after mostly by enthusiast.

With the 991 being pdk it opened up a completely new market and it spoke well and with the financial crisis of VW it only makes perfect sense they reconsidered there historical production numbers for the GT cars to milk the opportunity at hand. They also need to offset the GT3 engine replacements. It only makes business sense.

Originally Posted by Waxer
Again, So there was no or little demand for previous gen RSs? That would surely explain why years later they are still selling for way over msrp. Soooo, AP is going to pump out more 991RS? When? For '16? Or does that means there's going to be production in'17 and maybe '18? And right along side GT2.? As I said they will be busy and breaking an historical pattern of production at the same tme. historically Porsche shuts down in August as I understand. How many RSs can they produce in two months? So much for Porsche GT cars being limited production. I haven't read or heard this "extended production" reported anywhere else such as Porsche dedicated magazines etc... That's curious since this would be highly desired info. I'm high on my dealer (in top 20 dealers in U.S) list with deposit and have been for some time and still waiting for my dealer to call with my allocation.
$245k for a $215k msrp RS is a great deal right now.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-29-2016, 09:02 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

MSRP again.....wait for it.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:12 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
But if I understand you correctly, you are saying that if I don't manage to get an allocation for a new RS at msrp, because of the additional number of RSs that are about to be produced, I am going to get hit on the used RS paying $30k over sticker because the existing markups won't hold.

Is that right?
I bought one at a premium, but I don't think this level of premiums will hold.

I decided to pull the trigger only because I could configure one. That is worth the premium vs hunting for a used one where it has some options that I didn't want (I.e. White dials..it's amazing how many cars have white dials)

I think lists are long are allocations are either running through long lists or you have to pay a premium to cut in line

But I agree with other premiums won't hold. Maybe st $30k..maybe not
Old 05-29-2016, 10:25 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlee504
I bought one at a premium, but I don't think this level of premiums will hold.

I decided to pull the trigger only because I could configure one. That is worth the premium vs hunting for a used one where it has some options that I didn't want (I.e. White dials..it's amazing how many cars have white dials)

I think lists are long are allocations are either running through long lists or you have to pay a premium to cut in line

But I agree with other premiums won't hold. Maybe st $30k..maybe not
This is the option list of the one I'm looking at:

Name:  s-l1600_zpscmpgavng.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  306.8 KB

LO wouldn't have been my first choice, regular gloss black like my TTS would have, but I wasn't going to pay $5500 to get the most standard color in the world anyway. So of the four non PTS colors LO is my favorite, and this car is configured pretty much identically to what I would have ordered.

I don't even mind if I paid $245k for it and it deprecated from there say $15k a year for the next two years ... what I'm trying to figure out with your help is if the number of new RSs on the market are enough to readjust the market to msrp, which would mean I would have paid the premium to get it, but then would be losing those $15k a year from the original $215k as opposed to the $245.

I know no one has a crystal ball with this stuff, but I'm a Porsche no0b and you guys have seen these market adjustment cycles with previous models a lot more than I have ... so without asking for certainty but asking for probability, is the market likely to correct to the degree that this isn't the time to pay over msrp for any RS? Or will the few hundred extra cars only affect the greedy idiots that are trying to get $350k for them on eBay but the actual US market will remain relatively unaffected?

Sorry for the long winded way to ask was is actually a simple question.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,726 Likes on 4,759 Posts

This is the option list of the one I'm looking at:

LO wouldn't have been my first choice, regular gloss black like my TTS would have, but I wasn't going to pay $5500 to get the most standard color in the world anyway. So of the four non PTS colors LO is my favorite, and this car is configured pretty much identically to what I would have ordered.

I don't even mind if I paid $245k for it and it deprecated from there say $15k a year for the next two years ... what I'm trying to figure out with your help is if the number of new RSs on the market are enough to readjust the market to msrp, which would mean I would have paid the premium to get it, but then would be losing those $15k a year from the original $215k as opposed to the $245.

I know no one has a crystal ball with this stuff, but I'm a Porsche no0b and you guys have seen these market adjustment cycles with previous models a lot more than I have ... so without asking for certainty but asking for probability, is the market likely to correct to the degree that this isn't the time to pay over msrp for any RS? Or will the few hundred extra cars only affect the greedy idiots that are trying to get $350k for them on eBay but the actual US market will remain relatively unaffected?

Sorry for the long winded way to ask was is actually a simple question.
Sounds like you're already sold.

Just buy it and stop second-guessing yourself. And if you buy it, just accept that prices will probably eventually stabilize around 10K over MSRP.

One last thing, you should try to get some seat time in the car if you haven't already. The RS is really nothing like the TTS. Both fine cars, just very different.

Enjoy and good luck with whatever you do.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:51 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
One last thing, you should try to get some seat time in the car if you haven't already. The RS is really nothing like the TTS. Both fine cars, just very different.
I have driven some of my friends's 991 GT3s on the street, but not on track. Would you say that that would have given me a good indication of the car I would be buying, as in a slightly more focused version of the GT3, or is the regular GT3 also very different from the RS? I ask because I have no opportunity to test drive an RS, so the closest estimation I can get is from the GT3.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:01 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have driven some of my friends's 991 GT3s on the street, but not on track. Would you say that that would have given me a good indication of the car I would be buying, as in a slightly more focused version of the GT3, or is the regular GT3 also very different from the RS? I ask because I have no opportunity to test drive an RS, so the closest estimation I can get is from the GT3.

Thanks.
I've only driven the RS briefly on the street, never on the track. So it's hard for me to compare the RS versus the GT3, but from everything I've heard both are similar, with the RS perhaps a bit more compliant.

But to go back to my original point. I'm just pointing out that if you intend to DD the RS, regardless of whether it is similar or different than the GT3, it will be significantly different than the TTS as a daily driver.

Just test driving the GT3 on the street will not be a a representation of what it is like to own a GT3 (or RS) as a daily driver -- where you have to drive it day in and day out, and live with the PDK-S at low speeds, the rattly flywheel, the lack of sound insulation, and the constant attention the car seems to draw -- especially if it's a close cousin of a traffic cone.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:19 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I've only driven the RS briefly on the street, never on the track. So it's hard for me to compare the RS versus the GT3, but from everything I've heard both are similar, with the RS perhaps a bit more compliant.

But to go back to my original point. I'm just pointing out that if you intend to DD the RS, regardless of whether it is similar or different than the GT3, it will be significantly different than the TTS as a daily driver.

Just test driving the GT3 on the street will not be a a representation of what it is like to own a GT3 (or RS) as a daily driver -- where you have to drive it day in and day out, and live with the PDK-S at low speeds, the rattly flywheel, the lack of sound insulation, and the constant attention the car seems to draw -- especially if it's a close cousin of a traffic cone.
My apologies for not being clearer ...

I drive a RR L405 V8SC as my daily driver. My TTS is fun car for the street and occasionally to take to the track to let her run free, and I also have a 2016 Callaway Z06 as a track car. The RS would replace the TTS as a 'special day' drive car and for tracking 3/4 hpde events a year ... so it will not be a dd.

Thanks.

-------------------------

ETA: I didn't mean to monopolize the thread with my circumstances ... I guess like a lot of other folks, and because I'm being pressed to make a decision tomorrow, I'm just trying to figure out what everyone's best guesstimate is as to what the impact on the current RS market Porsche releasing a few hundred extra RSs will be. #awfulsyntax
Old 05-30-2016, 12:41 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My apologies for not being clearer ...

I drive a RR L405 V8SC as my daily driver. My TTS is fun car for the street and occasionally to take to the track to let her run free, and I also have a 2016 Callaway Z06 as a track car. The RS would replace the TTS as a 'special day' drive car and for tracking 3/4 hpde events a year ... so it will not be a dd.

Thanks.

-------------------------

ETA: I didn't mean to monopolize the thread with my circumstances ... I guess like a lot of other folks, and because I'm being pressed to make a decision tomorrow, I'm just trying to figure out what everyone's best guesstimate is as to what the impact on the current RS market Porsche releasing a few hundred extra RSs will be. #awfulsyntax
Ok, good to know.

Then you should be fine.

Enjoy the new ride. Post pics when you take delivery!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche 911GT3RS extended production cycle | GT3/GT3RS production volumes since 1999