Sponsored by:

991 gt3 engine misfiring / letters

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:16 PM
bsavino
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 991 gt3 engine misfiring / letters

hello all, was just wondering how to determine the engine letters. for example i have a 2014 gt3 with engine swap before delivery, which engine do i have?

also was at the glen this weekend and started getting high rpm misfire codes..with care going into limp mode at high revs, after reseting with piwis, i went back out and was able to drive with short shifting at 7000 rpm...

i've been reading the forum and i learned a lot about the issues on hand. bringing the car in thursday and would like as much info when discussing with service advisor...any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

bart
Old 05-24-2016, 10:26 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Look under the trunk lid on the right corner, you will see it under your VIN. Letter matches your production year and is also the first character of the last 8 of your VIN.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:33 PM
bsavino
Advanced

Originally Posted by signes
Look under the trunk lid on the right corner, you will see it under your VIN. Letter matches your production year and is also the first character of the last 8 of your VIN.
Same even if engine was changed before delivery ?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:06 PM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear OP. You are probably experiencing the same issues as others.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/918481-how-many-15-16-gt3-s-have-engine-replaced.html
Old 05-24-2016, 11:21 PM
bsavino
Advanced

ok i just checked, 2014 build, E engine, 8099 miles, lots of advance group track days, only had one other engine issue, thermostat replacement last year.
now getting 2 cylinder misfire, 2 and 5...
Old 05-24-2016, 11:39 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Make sure to post your experience in that thread along with dealer's remedy.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:52 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Make sure to post your experience in that thread along with dealer's remedy.

+1 Thanks !
Old 05-25-2016, 06:19 PM
tomraki
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This exacts scenario happened to me on Monday 5/23/16. I was unable to make it to Zone 1 at Watkins Glen as previously expected due to a family affair however I did get to make it to the Trackmasters event that directly followed it.
First session out went fine. Three laps into my second session (really cooking) I was coming up to turn seven, the car up shifted then sounded confused and downshifted. Right after that confusion I got a warning on the dash "Reduced Engine Performance Possible to Drive On". I couldn't accelerate and the car wouldn't go over 5k rpm.

I brought the car right in and had my tech plug in his DME reader. He found the code, cleared it, and took it for a spin. Floored it up and down the entrance straight, shifting at 9k rpm no problem.

Took the car out next session 3 laps went by fine, I was really pushing. Middle of the 4th lap same problem occurs without the hiccup. The car went straight into reduced performance mode. After that I took the car right in and didn't clear any codes just left it as is.

Fast forward to this morning, I trailer the car to Jack Daniels Porsche around 730 am. I just got word back that it was a misfire and should not happen again. The tech cleared the error codes and feels it should not be an issue.

Just curious why that would work now and it didn't work when my tech did the exact same thing at the track. FYI my tech is the owner of Formula Motorsports (Porsche Only Shop in NYC).

I figured I'd share this with everyone and hopefully we can cross reference our responses from dealers to see what is going on here.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2016, 06:51 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by tomraki
This exacts scenario happened to me on Monday 5/23/16. I was unable to make it to Zone 1 at Watkins Glen as previously expected due to a family affair however I did get to make it to the Trackmasters event that directly followed it. First session out went fine. Three laps into my second session (really cooking) I was coming up to turn seven, the car up shifted then sounded confused and downshifted. Right after that confusion I got a warning on the dash "Reduced Engine Performance Possible to Drive On". I couldn't accelerate and the car wouldn't go over 5k rpm. I brought the car right in and had my tech plug in his DME reader. He found the code, cleared it, and took it for a spin. Floored it up and down the entrance straight, shifting at 9k rpm no problem. Took the car out next session 3 laps went by fine, I was really pushing. Middle of the 4th lap same problem occurs without the hiccup. The car went straight into reduced performance mode. After that I took the car right in and didn't clear any codes just left it as is. Fast forward to this morning, I trailer the car to Jack Daniels Porsche around 730 am. I just got word back that it was a misfire and should not happen again. The tech cleared the error codes and feels it should not be an issue. Just curious why that would work now and it didn't work when my tech did the exact same thing at the track. FYI my tech is the owner of Formula Motorsports (Porsche Only Shop in NYC). I figured I'd share this with everyone and hopefully we can cross reference our responses from dealers to see what is going on here. Thanks
It is highly unlikely the car would misfire twice in a row like that and then the problem " goes away on its own ". Today's engine management is HIGHLY accurate...scary even! I know the tech you're talking about and even though I don't have any personal experience with his work,with all due respect, " he's betting on red when the whole table is betting on black. "
An in depth diagnosis needs to be performed and although there's a chance you might get away with a bad coil or plug(Rennlist special diagnostic),I would brace myself for the worst,which means cam followers excessive wear.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:14 PM
bsavino
Advanced

tomraki

did you pick up the car yet and try it, I'm bringing mine in tomorrow to ray catena in edison, my fear is exactly what you went through, that a tech will clear the codes and tell me that all will be ok....i already "cleared" the codes with a PIWIS at the the track and the next run out they popped right back up. so I'm a little hesitant to hear what they have to say. what happened to you seems why too easy and i think they took the path of least (no) resistance and told you all will be ok!!! I have been reading these forums for the past 4 days now and this seems like a little more serious then meets the eye. is it really too coincidental that all these problems are surfacing "all of a sudden" ? i had a 997 and 997.2 gt3 and i never heard of the same issue over and over again, like there is a script that these cars are following. forgive my ignorance in conspiracy theory but there is something definitely wrong here. also would like to add, did your tech or dealer have any experience with rebuilding or diagnosing gt3 engines? i don't even think i have that kind of faith in my dealer at this point, i hope I'm wrong.. btw i communicated with your tech today via text and he mentioned what had happened to you..sorry to hear..i definitely feel your pain....
Old 05-26-2016, 01:54 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Your misfire symptoms appear to be verbatim what everyone else is experiencing. PAG issued the document attached in post #213 of the other thread for shops to follow.

So they just cleared your error codes and called it good? Really?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:59 AM
bsavino
Advanced

UPDATE:

I just dropped off the car at the dealer (ray catena) today, and to my surprise, the advisor and the tech were all ready prepared with the porsche tech sheets to start diagnosing and working up the issues. the tech took the time to listen and look at the pix i took of the at track piwis screen shots, as well as asking what exactly occurred. got a nice cayenne diesel as a loaner, no gt3, but it is new....lets see where this goes....more to come
Old 05-26-2016, 01:26 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Good luck man!!
Old 05-26-2016, 03:36 PM
bsavino
Advanced

UPDATE: service advisor just called, they replaced the coil pack and the codes popped up, tomorrow the engine gets taken apart for inspection....fyi
Old 05-26-2016, 03:44 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by bsavino
UPDATE: service advisor just called, they replaced the coil pack and the codes popped up, tomorrow the engine gets taken apart for inspection....fyi
Typical dealership " technician " aka mechanic incompetence. Who would pay for a new coil pack if the car was not under warranty?! They're just monkeys holding a wrench,completely clueless and call themselves " technicians ". If I buy any electrical part from their " establishment " and open the bag I OWN IT!!! No returns on electrical parts. Who picks up the bill when they play swaptronics?! Bunch of mindless parts swapping gorillas...

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 engine misfiring / letters