Sponsored by:

991 gt3 engine misfiring / letters

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
I'm trying to get info about when my engine was replaced with second E. Dealer can't find any record about it in car history. They will send a request to PAG. I see a record in service papers, saying "T7" on approx. 20000 km in the middle of 2014. There's no stamp next to it, just mileage, day and "T7". It think it might be the engine change. If it's true, then second engine lasted approx. 19000 km including 3000 track km.
Yes that is correct T7. You first engine did plenty of service before the recall and compared to others your second engine did above average too. The serial number of your second engine should have been the number on the stickers on the rear kid, front hood, front pillar etc. the original engines were E0Xxxx. The replacements will be E1Xxxxx,

This is a design related fault not age/usage related. Porsche will put these right well beyond the official warranty runs out I'm confident...
Old 07-18-2016, 03:18 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you! No mystery left then.

I've just checked for exact numbers. So, for a record:

1st engine on my car served 21.000 km (Zero track miles) and was replaced with recall.

2nd engine served 18.000 km before rebuild. It included:

Auto24ring 520 laps x 3.2 km = 1664 km

Spa Francorchamps 60 laps x 7 km = 420 km

Nürburgring Nordschleife = 18 laps x 21 km = 378 km

Nürburgring Nordschleife + GP = 9 laps x 26 km = 234 km

Hockenheimring 32 laps x 4.6 km = 147 km

Total track usage: 2800 km (1750 miles).
+
Total daily drive: 15200 km (9400 miles).
Old 07-30-2016, 08:57 PM
nbrown69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nbrown69
Folks, this is one club to which I would have hoped to not been given membership, but alas, I have 2015 F engine (August 2014 build and Nov 2014 delivery)...
As a follow up to my F engine situation, the dealer did a great job addressing this issue. After swapping coils and plugs to no avail, they dug in deeper and found wear marks on the camshafts, rocker arms and saddle arms. They replaced camshafts, rockers, lifters and cylinder heads. I'll be back at the track soon enough.

Despite this issue, (a) I still love this car (did I mention how despite 20+ track days, the car smartly went into limp mode with enough life left in it for me to drive home two hours from the track without issue), (b) I love my dealer because they are stand up people who care about customer service, and (c) I love Porsche for doing the right thing by me (again).
Old 12-14-2016, 07:55 PM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

Im having the same issue............ basically got the "engine fault code" last weekend after hitting 7K rpm.. took it to dealer, they diagnosed as misfire #1, replaced Spark plug #1. I left the dealer this am, on my way to work, hit up 7k rpm and guess what "Engine fault code"!!!!!!! I called dealer, i'm in tomorrow morning....... Just wondering has anyone considered Lemon Law?
Old 12-15-2016, 12:00 AM
GT63TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Princealidds
Im having the same issue............ basically got the "engine fault code" last weekend after hitting 7K rpm.. took it to dealer, they diagnosed as misfire #1, replaced Spark plug #1. I left the dealer this am, on my way to work, hit up 7k rpm and guess what "Engine fault code"!!!!!!! I called dealer, i'm in tomorrow morning....... Just wondering has anyone considered Lemon Law?
I too had an engine fault code however the issue did not persist after the dealership (Porsche DTLA) replaced plug #4. I since had the oil changed and car is running rock solid with zero issues. W that said I hope the motor gives way at least once before warranty is up. I was at similar mileage when my plug went out. I'm at almost 11,000 now. Mind you I've only owned the car since end of July I bought my car technically "used" with 1,000 miles on it so lemon law wont work in my case even if the issue persisted. I would keep going back and make sure the SA indicated an identical client states; xyz.. on the service record. If you decide on lemoning or even exploring that option. If you're in need of a good lemon law attorney PM me. I had to do this once before due to serious engine failure with a car I had in the past (not Porsche).

Best of Luck, please keep up posted.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:37 AM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT63TT
I too had an engine fault code however the issue did not persist after the dealership (Porsche DTLA) replaced plug #4. I since had the oil changed and car is running rock solid with zero issues. W that said I hope the motor gives way at least once before warranty is up. I was at similar mileage when my plug went out. I'm at almost 11,000 now. Mind you I've only owned the car since end of July I bought my car technically "used" with 1,000 miles on it so lemon law wont work in my case even if the issue persisted. I would keep going back and make sure the SA indicated an identical client states; xyz.. on the service record. If you decide on lemoning or even exploring that option. If you're in need of a good lemon law attorney PM me. I had to do this once before due to serious engine failure with a car I had in the past (not Porsche).

Best of Luck, please keep up posted.
Thank you bud for your input. I'll definitely contact you if the issue doesn't resolve. I didn't know about not being able to lemon if I'm not original owner..... well I'm going to the auto gallery tomorrow.... will see what happens.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
Thank you! No mystery left then.

I've just checked for exact numbers. So, for a record:

1st engine on my car served 21.000 km (Zero track miles) and was replaced with recall.

2nd engine served 18.000 km before rebuild. It included:

Auto24ring 520 laps x 3.2 km = 1664 km

Spa Francorchamps 60 laps x 7 km = 420 km

Nürburgring Nordschleife = 18 laps x 21 km = 378 km

Nürburgring Nordschleife + GP = 9 laps x 26 km = 234 km

Hockenheimring 32 laps x 4.6 km = 147 km

Total track usage: 2800 km (1750 miles).
+
Total daily drive: 15200 km (9400 miles).
What was done in the rebuild?
Where same new parts put in or were they different in any way?
Why was it needed? Specifically.
How many miles now track and street?
Any issues now?
Did you have to sign NDA?
Old 12-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

So took car to Dealer today. And they said today the problem was Misfire on #6. However, he thinks its something more than Coil, Spark plugs, he said possibly camshaft is problematic. So they'll keep car in shop for at least few days...........
Old 12-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So took car to Dealer today. And they said today the problem was Misfire on #6. However, he thinks its something more than Coil, Spark plugs, he said possibly camshaft is problematic. So they'll keep car in shop for at least few days...........
This is the beginning of you receiving new G DLC cams and heads etc or a replacement engine. Well done for getting this out of the way so quickly. After you can enjoy the car with some confidence.

These cars as I've stated prior will ALL have this issue with time. It's all to do with mileage and then seeing rev limit - if you babied them in full auto mode you could be out of warranty before it happens.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:02 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hang in there, a new engine might be on the horizon.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Patience is required. The process is prescribed by PAG and the dealer must follow it to the letter, so it takes a while to get the car back. But you should be fine in the end.

Carmen
Old 12-16-2016, 02:13 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
What was done in the rebuild? Where same new parts put in or were they different in any way? Why was it needed? Specifically. How many miles now track and street? Any issues now? Did you have to sign NDA?
New top end.
No clue.
Wear.
3000km street/1000km track approx
No.
No.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

I'll keep you guys posted once I hear back from SA...... Thanks everyone!
Old 12-21-2016, 06:55 PM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

So got 2 emails from SA:
First email:
" The misfire in your GT3 is caused by the camshaft lining wearing off and causing premature wear on the camshaft and the rocker. We sent paperwork to Porsche"
Second email today:
" We got a response from Porsche, They want us to replace the cylinder heads for the vehicle. It was deemed the issue is in the heads and has not passed into the block"

.................. So can you guys please give me your thoughts.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

So got 2 emails from SA:
First email:
" The misfire in your GT3 is caused by the camshaft lining wearing off and causing premature wear on the camshaft and the rocker. We sent paperwork to Porsche"
Second email today:
" We got a response from Porsche, They want us to replace the cylinder heads for the vehicle. It was deemed the issue is in the heads and has not passed into the block"

.................. So can you guys please give me your thoughts.
enjoy the loaner, then enjoy your newly updated engine...usually takes 2-3 weeks.

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 engine misfiring / letters