Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another grass is greener moment... - 458 or Huracan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 09:12 PM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another grass is greener moment... - 458 or Huracan?

It's been just over a year since I got the GT3, and I am starting to get the GT3 boredom bug.

The car is absolutely fantastic, and it is totally fulfilling when pulling 1.3g+ around a corner and pulling the perfect exit into the main straight at Thunderhill. There is something amazing about being totally worry free and after a day at the track while friends in their Maseratis, Ferraris, and McLarens are paranoid about breaking something.

All that said, there's something a little lacking in my day to day with it that I cannot pinpoint. Couple things come to mind that partially describe it:
  • Low RPM sound is a little bit of a let down. You really have to get it up in the revs to hear anything pleasing
  • Startup sound, even on a cold start just doesn't invoke emotions that I think a $175k track car should invoke
  • Visual drama just isn't there. The GT3 RS is a little better in this department, I suppose, but even with the GT3's wing, it just doesn't quite do it.
  • Purchase experience, service experience, and anything related to Porsche just didn't feel as special as I really thought it would. When you can finally afford something like this, you would hope the experience of buying a brand new GT3 would be able to top purchasing a Tesla, but it did not.
  • Attention I get in the GT3 is a little strange. It's a lot of looks out of the corner of their eye from other Porsche owners that appear to be too ashamed to be caught looking, or people trying to figure out why a normal Porsche has such a strange wing on it.

Anyway, I've done a grand total of 2 track days with this car, and I am starting to wonder if my schedule will really ever let up to accommodate track days to get to the level of enjoyment that I think some of you are able to get out of yours.

My curiosity has been piqued a little by the Huracan and 458. They're both pretty different than the GT3 in good and not so good ways. Both have stunning visual appeal, sound amazing and are equally fast if not faster, but each have other attention-related issues that I currently do not worry about with the GT3.

My house is already overrun with cars, so I would likely have to unload the GT3 to get another car. My biggest concern is the potential regret of letting go of a GT3 that I spec'ed only to want it back a year from now. I supposed I can always order a 991.2 GT3.

Anyone own both and can comment on their thoughts?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:48 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

get a sharkwerks center bypass for the gt3 then thank me later

if u want more attention get 458 or huracan - if you track seriously they won't be better i promise
Old 05-22-2016, 11:28 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I've had them all. 458 and Huracan much more fun on the street. GT3 only good if you push it and better than all on the track.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:37 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

You will miss it. Huracan and 458 will continue to take large depreciations. Huracon especially. They are slower on the track in the hands of 95%. If you get 458 might make it a speciale so it is good financial investment plus enjoyment is thru roof. I drive my buddies speciale from time to time and it is the only 458 I would consider.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:08 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The fact that it has taken you over a year to get a bit bored says a heck of a lot about the GT3. With either of those two cars you will probably get bored a lot sooner than one year. Then you join the list of people who wish they had never sold their special Porsche, like yours clearly is.

Far better to sell something else to make room, if at all possible.

JMHO.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:13 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,730 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Why not a McLaren 570s?
Old 05-23-2016, 01:07 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

You owe it to yourself to throw McLaren into the mix. I replaced my 991 GT3 with a 650S and haven't looked back.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:18 AM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
get a sharkwerks center bypass for the gt3 then thank me later

if u want more attention get 458 or huracan - if you track seriously they won't be better i promise
i currently have the TCP Racing bypass. i heard the sharkwerks in person, and while it was loud and deep, the sound wasn't too my liking. i'm not sure an exhaust can fix the fact that that the start-up and low-rpm sound from the car is just not interesting.

i also did not like that the exhaust switch no longer served a function.

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I've had them all. 458 and Huracan much more fun on the street. GT3 only good if you push it and better than all on the track.
thank you for the feedback. i figured that would be the case well. i compare my purchase to the decision to purchase a range rover over other SUVs. i decided at the time that a range rover was design to handle rough terrain, snow, and other situations that i would expect it a truck or SUV to manage. i purchased it and loved the fact that it really hung with the crazy lifted wranglers, etc with ease. it made cayennes, touregs, sc90s, and other SUvs look suburban in comparison. now, 4 years later, and less then 5 off-road or mountain adventures later, i realized i bought into an idea that my schedule and life didn't necessarily see. 97% of the time it is used to get groceries, haul people to dinner, go to target or home depot, or take me to work.

GT3 gets even less duty. i read a description of usage of the GT3 once as an A to A car, where one decides to take the GT3 when heading to a destination that will ultimate be home after several stops. ex: home -> coffee -> store -> home. predictable roads, predicable parking lot entry, predictable parking situation, and predictable destination.

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
You will miss it. Huracan and 458 will continue to take large depreciations. Huracon especially. They are slower on the track in the hands of 95%. If you get 458 might make it a speciale so it is good financial investment plus enjoyment is thru roof. I drive my buddies speciale from time to time and it is the only 458 I would consider.
unlike a GT3 RS, 911 R, or a 997.2 GT3 RS, my GT3 will likely continue to depreciate substantially as well. if you think about it, there are some outstanding factors that make this generation likely to depreciate quickly:

· special and unique features of this car have quickly carried over to other Porsches. for example: 4 wheel steering integrated into the 991.2 911s (which will be a dime a dozen where i live) or even the design of the wheels, which they brought to the GT4.

· the engine is not special. this will not be the last naturally aspirated GT3.

· the existence of the GT4 undermines the unique naturally aspirated nature of the 991 GT3 as a Porsche bred for the track.

· there was no manual transmission option. while on the track, it's incredibly clear that a manual transmission would only slow you down, on the road, it would be remiss to say it was something i didn't think about.

· the 911 R and the GT3 RS will be the highly coveted models from the 991.1 generation.

keep in mind, i didn't buy the GT3 to make money or necessarily to expect nothing will ever carry over. however, for Ferrari and Lamborghini, their model line up is very small. if you own a 458, there is only the california as a potential model that could pickup handmedown features down the road. even so, as someone pointed out in a huracan thread in this forum, the internet makes it seem like Ferraris and Lamborghinis are everywhere, but in reality, they are still very special.

Originally Posted by robmypro
The fact that it has taken you over a year to get a bit bored says a heck of a lot about the GT3. With either of those two cars you will probably get bored a lot sooner than one year. Then you join the list of people who wish they had never sold their special Porsche, like yours clearly is.

Far better to sell something else to make room, if at all possible.

JMHO.
yes i totally agree. let me say that i really do love the GT3. i just feel that while it is holding it's value, i am not taking full advantage of it and really enjoying it as it was meant to be used. i am commuting to work in light traffic, then leaving work well after traffic has died down (due to my schedule, not because of the car), to get a fleeting moment on the freeway entrance ramp on the extra long route home. even that is sometimes not a guarantee if there is a few priuses in the way.

so little things like walking up the car, starting it up, and just driving it, in my opinion, have to also be just as special.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Why not a McLaren 570s?
you know, i thought about that as well. two reasons:

1. i'm not a fan of turbos. they feel awesome, but something about a naturally aspirated high output engine does it for me. my car history: honda prelude, honda civic rebuilt with a civic type-r engine, honda s2000, E46 M3, E92 M3, GT3. i was really hoping the GT3-RS would be the next step, but the incredible mark-up just doesn't add up for me. and it is too much of the same issue as what i described above.

2. i've seen the way the MP4-12C quickly looks old next to the 650S. then the 650S quickly started looking old and dated next to the 675LT and P1. i hate that feeling the most. somehow when i look at an F430, i know the design has been around for a long time, but it still gets me excited to see one. and when you start it up and drive it around, it sounds amazing despite not being anywhere nearly as fast as even a 991 Carrera S.

hope that makes sense!

thanks for the responses folks. appreciate the feedback, and the forum as an outlet for these thoughts. these are very much 1st world, non-issues, but as someone who draws a just a small fraction of life's joy from the few solo moments in the car before and after work, i think it's important that i don't just burn miles on a car if i'm not loving it... especially because in a forum like this, i'm sure all of you have very successful careers or businesses that require your time and attention to continue to thrive. time is priceless.

Originally Posted by Serge944
You owe it to yourself to throw McLaren into the mix. I replaced my 991 GT3 with a 650S and haven't looked back.
2nd person to say this! Very well, i will definitely give it a try!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:27 AM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

I am truly a p-car guy but have owned a few Ferrari's. After reading your two posts I think you will be very happy with the 458. I went to test drive one and I bought it the same day. I like the lambos and mclarens but to me the 458 is a very special car from the moment you turn the key.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:39 AM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had all 3 and still own the gt3 and 458 spider. Huracan was very fast but not that engaging. I actually prefer the gt3 over the 458 if you plan on driving a lot. If its going to be a weekend driver than 458 might be right for you.
In regards to the purchase and service experience, all dealers suck. My lambo buying experience and service was terrible. I bought the 458 out of state and service has been ok(nothing special). At least Porsche gives me a loaner, my local ferrari and Lambo dealer don't.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Get a 981 Spyder for your street fun, and a 996 Cup for track days. You will have spent GT3 $ and will have solved your stated problem. The Spyder will not bore you on the street and will get a LOT of attention. The 996 Cup will be an awesome track car.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:20 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Why not a used F12?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 AM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually think your work will mute the excitement of ANY car change but a 458 or 675LT would be very nice.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:43 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Get a 981 Spyder for your street fun, and a 996 Cup for track days. You will have spent GT3 $ and will have solved your stated problem. The Spyder will not bore you on the street and will get a LOT of attention. The 996 Cup will be an awesome track car.
Nailed it. Spyder for the street is insanely fun for $100k... And used dedicated track car of any kind (even a Miata) will maximize that experience
Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

You can't go wrong with GT3 + DMS headers

Listen to that sound! On startup especially on a cold one it is really loud, i would say too loud sometimes if you want to be discreet once in a while. So if you are not 100 percent sold on replacing the GT3 give this a try.

Quick Reply: Another grass is greener moment... - 458 or Huracan?