Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another grass is greener moment... - 458 or Huracan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I had the same feeling about my 991GT3 and after 1 1/2 years I sold it. To some extent, I regret doing so. My feeling at the time was that the car just was not practical unless you're tracking it. Too bad because it has so much to offer.

I have had several Ferrari's and though I loved them, the attention got very old. Thus my reason for going back to Porsche.

I decided to order a new Targa and put my name on the list for the 991.2GT3RS should Porsche decide to build it. When I had my GT3 I could not see the reason for buying the RS for the additional $50,000 and only 25hp gain. BUT after I saw a 991RS in the flesh I was blown away by its looks and road presence. Too me, it was a sense of occasion car just like a Ferrari and Huracan and for a lot less money.

The RS stands out more so than the GT3 and has the performance to back it. It does not have the over the top styling like the Huracan but certainly will not suffer the huge depreciation like the Huracan. The 458 is a great car but concerns over high mileage relegates it to being a garage queen.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I talk to my dealer almost daily. How did you get a deposit on any .2 GT car? My new car manager is saying zip from Germany as of yet on the .2's.
I called my dealer last year and asked if they had any deposits on an allocation slot for the 991.2 GT3 RS. At the time no one had asked before me. I simply asked if they would be willing to take a deposit under the assumption that the car would be released and write up the slip specifically stating that I had the first available allocation. They were willing to do so. If no .2 RS is produced, I get my deposit back. FWIW, they also haven't heard anything official yet.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:07 PM
'Trust'
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
So are you saying your dealer said there will not be a .2 or is he saying he hasn't heard anything as of yet? I don't believe any dealer has heard much.
That they have not heard anything from Porsche officially on .2 GT cars release date, etc. They are certainly not taking deposits.

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I called my dealer last year and asked if they had any deposits on an allocation slot for the 991.2 GT3 RS. At the time no one had asked before me. I simply asked if they would be willing to take a deposit under the assumption that the car would be released and write up the slip specifically stating that I had the first available allocation. They were willing to do so. If no .2 RS is produced, I get my deposit back. FWIW, they also haven't heard anything official yet.
Ah, makes sense. I took it to mean that you had a deposit on a confirmed allocation.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:42 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a 570S. Yes the super series range will out perform but by a very small margin. Go drive one and get over the NA issue. For the same MSRP as a RS its one of the best cars on the road and proving itself to be very capable on track too. And if you want to be noticed it will deliver in spades.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:43 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
You need a 570S. Yes the super series range will out perform but by a very small margin. Go drive one and get over the NA issue. For the same MSRP as a RS its one of the best cars on the road and proving itself to be very capable on track too. And if you want to be noticed it will deliver in spades.
Mclaren currently has Best steering feel of modern cars I've tried... 570s was amazing
Old 05-26-2016, 06:29 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Speaking of the Huracan, what about new R8
Old 05-26-2016, 08:23 AM
Fadi1
Pro

I almost pulled the trigger on the R8 V10+, allocations are easy to get. I think it's a very exciting alternative to 911 Turbos, naturally aspirated all wheel drive. Huracan is more special though
Old 05-26-2016, 08:52 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Performance is basically identical, and the R8 does not shout,HEY LOOK AT ME!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
Performance is basically identical, and the R8 does not shout,HEY LOOK AT ME!
I dunno, the blonde who passed me in a white R8 Spyder in Monterey last Sunday sure seemed to be screaming HEY LOOK AT ME!

And I obliged.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:28 PM
ghostryder
Advanced

Mac 650s or prefereably 675
570s
Huracan
then gt3.
Going to the track twice a year should not constitute buying a track car. The macs and the Huracan are more fun to drive on the street. And since you have many cars in stable, you won't need either of those to be a daily driver.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:04 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Mclaren currently has Best steering feel of modern cars I've tried... 570s was amazing
This +1. Similar pricepoint to 991 GT3 as well.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:54 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
This +1. Similar pricepoint to 991 GT3 as well.
But much mclaren has much worse depreciation than the GT3.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GT3 works on so many levels- It looks great and special, but not "look at me, Look at me"!........ like the Ferrari, McLaren, and Lambos do.

Can run on the track all day without breaking down like the three above cars would, and I track my sports cars regularly, so this is important.

Comfortable enough to daily every day and safe enough to park outside all day at work , if you choose to do either, which you wouldn't dare do with the above 3 cars.

Depreciation much less than mclaren and lambo, and very slow depreciation similar to Ferrari, but you can put some miles on a GT3 without a major depreciation hit, which puts it above Ferrari as a car you can actually enjoy regularly.

Interior electronics work far better than ferrari or mclaren.

GT3 is half the cost of the three above cars other than the 570.

991 GT3 fit and finish, transmission, seats, and handling are miles better than all the "best bang for the buck" sports cars, including the various versions of the Corvette, GT-R, Camaro, Mustang, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time I consider getting a different sports car, I think about this for a while...... And just come back to loving my GT3 more. I don't need any other sports car, the 991 GT3 checks all the right boxes.

Last edited by Drifting; 05-28-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:30 AM
tepsch
Track Day

Drifting, I totally agree with you.

I am impressed by the lines of the Huricane, I took a test drive of the 580-2 yesterday for 30 mn, the engine sound is really good but the exhaust sound on shift down is not great and does not sound natural (small tic tic tic)... , the main negative point is that the steering feels is so bad !!!! I felt disconnected.
At the end, jumping back in my GT3 made me so happy ! steering, sound etc...

This test drive made me realize that it is very difficult to find better than a GT3...
Old 05-28-2016, 08:44 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, def the Mac will lose value, probably similar to a 991 turbo, maybe worse, but compared w/ the Huracan, 458, R8 it will be the most similar with regards to steering/handling feel IMHO. The hydraulic steering on the macs is honestly much better than any of the 991s, even the GT cars.

Originally Posted by Drifting
But much mclaren has much worse depreciation than the GT3.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GT3 works on so many levels- It looks great and special, but not "look at me, Look at me"!........ like the Ferrari, McLaren, and Lambos do.

Can run on the track all day without breaking down like the three above cars would, and I track my sports cars regularly, so this is important.

Comfortable enough to daily every day and safe enough to park outside all day at work , if you choose to do either, which you wouldn't dare do with the above 3 cars.

Depreciation much less than mclaren and lambo, and very slow depreciation similar to Ferrari, but you can put some miles on a GT3 without a major depreciation hit, which puts it above Ferrari as a car you can actually enjoy regularly.

Interior electronics work far better than ferrari or mclaren.

GT3 is half the cost of the three above cars other than the 570.

991 GT3 fit and finish, transmission, seats, and handling are miles better than all the "best bang for the buck" sports cars, including the various versions of the Corvette, GT-R, Camaro, Mustang, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time I consider getting a different sports car, I think about this for a while...... And just come back to loving my GT3 more. I don't need any other sports car, the 991 GT3 checks all the right boxes.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:55 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
Yes, def the Mac will lose value, probably similar to a 991 turbo, maybe worse, but compared w/ the Huracan, 458, R8 it will be the most similar with regards to steering/handling feel IMHO. The hydraulic steering on the macs is honestly much better than any of the 991s, even the GT cars.
Agree, the hydraulic steering on the mclarens is the best of all exotic cars right now. But that alone is not enough to overlook the mclaren downsides.

Quick Reply: Another grass is greener moment... - 458 or Huracan?