Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another grass is greener moment... - 458 or Huracan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:07 AM
bill357
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own a 16' lambo SV and 15' GT3. and have owned a 12c, 650s, Gallardo, CGT,997TT, GTR etc.
while my SV is a exotic beast, the GT3 is simply the best all around car I have ever owned. it does everything right and doesn't attract negative attention. I have a feeling if you sell yours, you will miss it. put it away for a few weeks and when you start driving it again you will have that feeling all over again! hopefully lol
Old 05-23-2016, 02:12 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by bill357
I currently own a 16' lambo SV and 15' GT3. and have owned a 12c, 650s, Gallardo, CGT,997TT, GTR etc.
while my SV is a exotic beast, the GT3 is simply the best all around car I have ever owned. it does everything right and doesn't attract negative attention. I have a feeling if you sell yours, you will miss it. put it away for a few weeks and when you start driving it again you will have that feeling all over again! hopefully lol
This!
Old 05-23-2016, 04:28 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

From just about every quantifiable perspective the GT3 will be the better car.
------------------

However, the 458 does offer something in the way of "driving experience". It is certainly a little more dramatic flare to your time on the road.

I was fortunate enough to be studying automotive design in Turin while it was being conceived. A couple of my professors were on the design team at the time, and so a select number of us then-students were allowed to participate (ie push out as many sketches as possible before our fingers went numb). Design-wise the feeling then was that it was something extra special. Nearly everyone felt almost unnaturally in-sync, which was rarely the case when dealing with designer egos/ideas.

I recently ran across a few friends from that time and we reaffirmed the idea that the 458 was a rather special project. It certainly has the potential of being called one of the more beautiful Ferraris made.

In conclusion, good luck with your decision! Any potential you would have the chance to take a "fun" test drive prior to pulling a trigger?

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Last edited by gmgracing; 05-25-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:56 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Nailed it. Spyder for the street is insanely fun for $100k... And used dedicated track car of any kind (even a Miata) will maximize that experience
This.

I picked one up on a whim to hold me over until the 991.2 GT3 RS comes in. My intention was to trade it back when the RS was ready. I'm fairly confident I will have both the Spyder and the RS in the garage when the time comes.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:01 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned a couple 458's they are very special cars, amazing fun and a special experience on the road.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:17 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by SECRET M
I.[*]Purchase experience, service experience, and anything related to Porsche just didn't feel as special as I really thought it would. When you can finally afford something like this, you would hope the experience of buying a brand new GT3 would be able to top purchasing a Tesla, but it did not.
?
I never quite understood these comments. Unless Service is terrible, why do business with a Service location if you do not like it ? What do people expect during the service ? For sake of keeping everything PG-13 i wont say words that come to my mind.

As for Tesla. I purchased a Signature S, new, very early production #. I haven't received any illicit services from Tesla SA nor discounts. FWIW.

Tesla is not the best in Service that i have received but i don't expect anything better in the US. What do people expect ? Maybe I don't have "high" expectations of SA handing out illicit services because i purchased a 6 figure vehicle ? Should i demand more because i have a 6 figure vehicle ?
That's what it sounds like me. I have money, treat me like royalty.
American service sucks compare to Japan. Doesn't matter if you spend $1 or $100000, service is exceptional across the board. Nothing touches Japanese service. If this was a complaint about service not being exceptional across the board in the US, i would agree-- but not because I have money i need to be treated superior then a Honda dealer.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:52 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

458 would be my choice in a heart beat, there's just something about it.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:15 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
You will miss it. Huracan and 458 will continue to take large depreciations. Huracon especially. They are slower on the track in the hands of 95%. If you get 458 might make it a speciale so it is good financial investment plus enjoyment is thru roof. I drive my buddies speciale from time to time and it is the only 458 I would consider.
Listen to this if money is your main focus.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:48 PM
'Trust'
Rennlist Member

I've been through a lot of cars, Vipers, 430's, Gallardo's, Aventador, FGT's, etc., and I have to say that the GT3 is on of the most fun cars of the lot. It is a tad too refined to be a visceral experience, but they are incredible platforms. I've never owned a 458, they've always just missed the mark a bit for my taste, and having a Huracan really defies the point of a 458.

I'm very happy with my current stable, and I'd sell the GT3 before I had to sell the Huracan, and the Huracan before the Scud. It's tough to go wrong with the Huracan, just don't expect it to handle as well as the GT3, it's highly capable, but there is a softness to them side by side. They are tough to beat in the looks department too:

Name:  11129689_822501501130496_6425479788826602571_n_zpsimuhflxi.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  64.3 KB
Old 05-24-2016, 06:31 AM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a gmg/sharkwerks.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:02 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Choose whatever floats your boat at the time....honestly you can't go wrong....no matter what you have it will become boring after some time....I am going on year 4 with my 458 and year 2 with my GT3....both are "boring" but I've come to learn that I'll get bored of anything and would rather have the cash than a new car....I've contemplated selling both for the Blue 675LT at Miller Motor cars but after really thinking about I holding tight....
Old 05-25-2016, 09:56 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

you guys have had many more cars than me. i moved to cars from bikes and can say the manual experience on the street is where its at. I get bored driving any automatic and have the "i hope" deposit on a 991.2 gt3 manual. I drove a scud last week. amazing feeling to drive, but still no 3rd pedal. I think the vibe will come back if a manual hits next year. As for the money, its moot, if you lack interaction in the drive.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:12 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Choose whatever floats your boat at the time....honestly you can't go wrong....no matter what you have it will become boring after some time....I am going on year 4 with my 458 and year 2 with my GT3....both are "boring" but I've come to learn that I'll get bored of anything and would rather have the cash than a new car....I've contemplated selling both for the Blue 675LT at Miller Motor cars but after really thinking about I holding tight....
That 675 they have is sick. So are the 2 P1's lol.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:45 PM
'Trust'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougr743
you guys have had many more cars than me. i moved to cars from bikes and can say the manual experience on the street is where its at. I get bored driving any automatic and have the "i hope" deposit on a 991.2 gt3 manual. I drove a scud last week. amazing feeling to drive, but still no 3rd pedal. I think the vibe will come back if a manual hits next year. As for the money, its moot, if you lack interaction in the drive.
I talk to my dealer almost daily. How did you get a deposit on any .2 GT car? My new car manager is saying zip from Germany as of yet on the .2's.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:19 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I talk to my dealer almost daily. How did you get a deposit on any .2 GT car? My new car manager is saying zip from Germany as of yet on the .2's.
So are you saying your dealer said there will not be a .2 or is he saying he hasn't heard anything as of yet? I don't believe any dealer has heard much.

Quick Reply: Another grass is greener moment... - 458 or Huracan?