Sponsored by:

Exclusive Option LWB Seat Bolster Protectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:02 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RossL
Lol. The prices people pay to "protect" their cars is so funny. You expect it in the Ferrari circle but to see it in the Porsche circle now is kind of sad. I always viewed these cars as the cars people drove. At this rate, Porsche will soon (if it hasn't already) get the 10k miles stigma, followed by garage queen only status.
Dumbest thing I've heard all year...Between my tire marble paint additions, the any day now engine explosion from running non stop red line driving at track, and the fact I have battle wound dents all over front end I think you're making stupid assumptions. $600 is child's play to keep a extra layer of leather on seat so I don't have the foam start to come out from side lower bolster after driving snot out of the thing. Maybe you just hang around the wrong enthusiast?
Old 05-25-2016, 01:13 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Lol. The prices people pay to "protect" their cars is so funny. You expect it in the Ferrari circle but to see it in the Porsche circle now is kind of sad. I always viewed these cars as the cars people drove. At this rate, Porsche will soon (if it hasn't already) get the 10k miles stigma, followed by garage queen only status.
The bucket seat bolsters get pretty beat up getting in and out of the car all the time. I don't think 600 is unreasonable to pay to protect them and give you peace of mind without worrying about being careful when you get in and out. I've seen GT3's I would have passed on because the seats look so beat up for the mileage they had on them. I wouldn't put anything like this on normal seats but the bucket bolsters tend to get excessive wear. Some people pay $600 for a shirt and some pay $600 for bolster protectors. Just because someone puts bolster protectors on that doesn't mean they don't drive their cars hard or a lot, I would venture to say it is the opposite. People that track and drive their cars a lot, know their bolsters will fet beat up.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:58 AM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Dumbest thing I've heard all year...Between my tire marble paint additions, the any day now engine explosion from running non stop red line driving at track, and the fact I have battle wound dents all over front end I think you're making stupid assumptions. $600 is child's play to keep a extra layer of leather on seat so I don't have the foam start to come out from side lower bolster after driving snot out of the thing. Maybe you just hang around the wrong enthusiast?
No need for insults. There are numerous threads on here about paint protection, winter protection, tire protection, etc, etc. And now seat protection. Feels like Fchat is all I'm saying. Agree or disagree is fine, but tossing out insults, is not.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:12 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drdonger
The bucket seat bolsters get pretty beat up getting in and out of the car all the time. I don't think 600 is unreasonable to pay to protect them and give you peace of mind without worrying about being careful when you get in and out. I've seen GT3's I would have passed on because the seats look so beat up for the mileage they had on them. I wouldn't put anything like this on normal seats but the bucket bolsters tend to get excessive wear. Some people pay $600 for a shirt and some pay $600 for bolster protectors. Just because someone puts bolster protectors on that doesn't mean they don't drive their cars hard or a lot, I would venture to say it is the opposite. People that track and drive their cars a lot, know their bolsters will fet beat up.
I'm not saying they won't get beat up. They definitely will, as will the whole seat including the opposite side bolster since you a slding in an out. If they do wear prematurely, just get it repaired. It'll probably cost less and will look like new.

In the end, all you're really doing is protecting a car for the next owner. Drive the cars and enjoy them!
Old 05-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

I agree with much of your sentiment. If you enjoy your car and drive it things can happen. There will be wear, there will likly be dings and scrapes as well.

I mean there's nothing wrong with wanting to keep your car nice and I would be happy to pay an extra 10k for a damage forcefield but all these protections for me have limited value. Hell my last Porsche had a clear bra and I still needed to get the front bumper repaired and resprayed. Also thee underside of the bumper was torn up from being so low to the ground too

From what I can tell of the LWBS in my car is that the leather seems pretty durable. However despite very careful ingress and egress there is some creasing that is occurring on the left bolster. not leather wear, but creasing. I don't know how much crease protection these bolster covers will have against that.

I'm still up in the air as they look very well made.

I'm not saying they won't get beat up. They definitely will, as will the whole seat including the opposite side bolster since you a slding in an out. If they do wear prematurely, just get it repaired. It'll probably cost less and will look like new.

In the end, all you're really doing is protecting a car for the next owner. Drive the cars and enjoy them!
Old 05-26-2016, 01:38 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The opposite side bolster doesn't wear out or get as much abuse because you aren't rubbing on it getting in and out. How much do you think it will cost to repair LWB seats? Have you ever gotten seats redone? It will be very difficult to restitch and repair the seats to match. They wouldn't make these things if the bolsters didn't take extra abuse or people didn't want them. Prior to installing them I already noticed a wrinkle on the bolster and it bothered me to look at.

In the end, I am protecting the car for myself. I don't want to look at my car with beat up bolsters. Its personal preference. I see no difference in purchasing these and clear bra'ing your car. I drive my cars hard and do enjoy them. If you don't want to spend money on bolster protectors, that is fine, but I think it is stupid to go in a thread about bolster protectors and chastise people for wanting to purchase them. I'll probably spend $1000 at dinner this weekend, so $500 bucks so that I don't have to look at wrinkly seat bolsters every time I get in and out of my car is worth it to ME.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:26 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm pretty much driving SOLO all the time....does anyone know if you can just get the drivers side only ?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:32 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

$600 for the drivers side, free passenger side with purchase.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:55 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
$600 for the drivers side, free passenger side with purchase.
that would be the Porsche factory option
Old 05-27-2016, 10:25 AM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drdonger
The opposite side bolster doesn't wear out or get as much abuse because you aren't rubbing on it getting in and out. How much do you think it will cost to repair LWB seats? Have you ever gotten seats redone? It will be very difficult to restitch and repair the seats to match. They wouldn't make these things if the bolsters didn't take extra abuse or people didn't want them. Prior to installing them I already noticed a wrinkle on the bolster and it bothered me to look at.

In the end, I am protecting the car for myself. I don't want to look at my car with beat up bolsters. Its personal preference. I see no difference in purchasing these and clear bra'ing your car. I drive my cars hard and do enjoy them. If you don't want to spend money on bolster protectors, that is fine, but I think it is stupid to go in a thread about bolster protectors and chastise people for wanting to purchase them. I'll probably spend $1000 at dinner this weekend, so $500 bucks so that I don't have to look at wrinkly seat bolsters every time I get in and out of my car is worth it to ME.
My guess is repairing the lower bolster would be fairly simple because the pieces have very defined stitching points and the interior stitch I believe is just black so easy to match. There also isn't anything decorative to line up outside the exposed stitch. Regarding cost, I don't know because my seats don't need it yet. However I do know the costs on a Ferrari Daytona seat and that ranged between 400-600 for a complete side bolster. This is only covering the lower.

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if the next high wear area on these seats is the side bolster so you might want to get something soon or cancel that 1k dinner lol.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:52 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

I have just placed my order. Actually, it is $589.00 + $29.45 flat rate shipping = $618.45

I will post photos as soon as I have them installed.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:58 AM
Deezuhl77
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if these fit the 997 gt2 buckets also??
Old 05-24-2017, 01:07 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

^I'm sure that's right around the corner, and if not, all it takes is you and a few other people e-mailing them and they'll probably be on it quickly.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

I think its a great idea but wouldn't be easier to place a towel on the seat edge before entering the car? It would facilitate entry and exiting while protect the leather seat edge. You can easily remove the towel once in the car and reposition it before you get out.

Also, is wear that much of a problem with LWB?
Old 05-24-2017, 02:14 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Where's Crazy Eddie when you need him?

CrazyEddie developed another solution and his look even more OEM than the ones from Exclusive Option. The EO solution is one piece and CrazzyEddie's are two pieces, which better resemble the configuration of the seat.

He's done yeoman's work to get theses things made and made well--believe it or not, he's just doing a community service. (I was skeptical at first, too.) I bought and installed them and they work well.

Here's the real deal: https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9579...er-covers.html

Quick Reply: Exclusive Option LWB Seat Bolster Protectors